PhD Out-Of-Distribution detection for medical AI
PhD Out-Of-Distribution detection for medical AI
|18 Nov||11 Dec||Amsterdam|
Application of Machine Learning methods in healthcare has sparked concern about the ability of such models to cope with shifting data distributions. The candidate will design and evaluate Out-Of-Distribution detection methods to increase the robustness...
ML clinical prediction models that are trained on a specific patient population may not offer reliable prediction if the data distribution changes after the model is deployed. This points to the need for:
i) solid theoretical understanding of models' behaviour under data shift
ii) implementation of OOD detection models to determine to what extent the model is reliable.
The candidate will contribute to the solution to this problem by:
For examples of papers on the topic see here and here .
We are looking for a PhD candidate who is eager to contribute to the safer implementation of ML methods in healthcare settings.
You will investigate how to build a suitable OOD detection model that is meant to act as a failsafe layer, enabling the user of a ML model in healthcare to know to what degree the model in question is reliable. This exploration will address a number of methodological topics; a non-exhaustive list includes:
- Robustness under data shift.
- Density estimation.
- Interpretability and explainability for OOD detectors.
- Uncertainty estimation and model confidence.
- Counterfactual and/or adversarial methods for model robustness.
- Domain adaptation.
You will be integrated in an ongoing collaboration with industrial partners, with concrete possibilities for your research to influence the development of existing medical AI products. Finally, you will be integrated in the vibrant community of the Medical Informatics department, with the opportunity to interact with talented researchers and to contribute to top-rated education programs.
- max. 40 hours per week
- €2631—€3336 per month
- Amsterdam View on Google Maps
- Master's degree in computer science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, mathematics, data science, medical informatics, or related fields.
- Hands-on experience in Machine Learning.
- Strong programming skills in Python and machine learning libraries (e.g., PyTorch, Sklearn).
- Creative and independent mindset.
- Capable of working in multidisciplinary environments.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience with responsible AI (e.g., fairness, explainability, causal inference).
- Experience working with real-world data, e.g. having experience with data wrangling, analysis, visualizations, etc. Even better if the experience is with medical data.
- Experience with scientific publications.
- Contribution to open-source projects.
- Willingness to learn Dutch.
- Excited to work on a problem with societal impact.
Conditions of employment
- Plenty of room for your drive to shape tomorrow's healthcare.
- Working on large-scale and in-house research, with motivated colleagues from all corners of the world.
- You will start with a contract for one year (12 months) in accordance with the CAO UMC 2022-2023, with the possibility of extension for another three years (36 months).
- PhD students (Onderzoeker in Opleiding) are placed in scale 21, with a fulltime gross salary. The starting salary is € 2.631,- and increases to € 3.336,- in the fourth year.
- Besides a good basic salary, you will also receive 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance. Calculate your net salary here.
- Pension accrual with BeFrank, a modern, comprehensible and fairly priced pension.
- Excellent accessibility by public transport and reimbursement of a large part of your travel expenses. We also have sufficient parking spaces at the AMC location and a good bicycle scheme.
You will be appointed at the Medical Informatics department of the Amsterdam UMC at the University of Amsterdam.
You will be supervised by dr. Giovanni Cinà , prof. Ameen Abu-Hanna and prof. N de Keizer . Dr. Cinà is Assistant Professor in AI and works on the reliability of medical AI applications, and specifically on topics such as OOD detection, Explainable AI and Causal Inference. He holds a joint position with Pacmed and the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation. Prof. Abu-Hanna is a Principal Investigator in Methodology in Medical Informatics and has extensive experience in AI, ML, and prognostic modelling and evaluation. Prof. de Keizer is a Principal Investigator in Medical Informatics, focusing on the evaluation of quality of care and leading NICE, the national registry for Intensive Care evaluation.
Our team has on-going collaborations with colleagues at the IvI-UvA, the ILLC-UvA and the Amsterdam Business School, and you are encouraged to actively participate in these collaborations.
During the publication period, applications will be handled continuously. If the vacancy is filled, it will be closed prematurely
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact dr. Giovanni Cinà , Assistant Professor of Artificial Intelligence, via email@example.com .
For more information about the application procedure, please contact Tanja Hart, Recruitment Advisor, via firstname.lastname@example.org or via 06-21603178.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your CV should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- A detailed CV referring to your education and work experience.
- A letter of motivation.
- A list of publications (e.g., the master thesis).
- Examples of code written by the applicant (e.g., via a link to a github repository).
A reference check and screening may be part of the procedure. Read here what this entails. If you join us, we will ask for a VOG (Certificate of Good Conduct).
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Amsterdam UMC). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
Ph D Position On Crispr Diagnostics On Chip For Early Cancer Detection, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Vacancies PhD position on CRISPR diagnostics on-chip for early cancer detection Key takeaways Previously, we have presented an in vitro diagnostic tool for methylation quantification and identifi...
Ph D In Entrepreneurship & Innovation , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Project: Artificial Intelligence and Patterns of Influence in the Arts and Entertainment Industries Are you interested in studying the arts and entertainment industries at the cross-section of bus...
A Phd Position On Security And Intelligence On Automation And Experimental Evaluation Of Human Security Decisions, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Do you have a background in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Engineering, or Security? And are you interested in doing a PhD with multi-disciplinary collaboration? Vrije Universiteit is ...
Ph D Positions At The Research Centre For Longevity Risk , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 21 days ago
The University of Amsterdam invites applications for two PhD positions at the university’s Research Centre for Longevity Risk. We are looking for talented and motivated researchers with a strong i...
Ph D Student In Cellular Metabolomics, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Are you looking for a PhD position in cellular metabolomics? Do you want to be closely involved in studying metabolism using LC-MS and NMR? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to k...
Phd Position Impact Of Chemical Exposure On Child Health, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Do you have a passion for science and want to have impact on human exposure to chemicals? Then we would like to get to know you. Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: AMSTERDAM ...