9 May 2023
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
18 Jun 2023 - 22:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
This project is concerned with the mathematical and algorithmic foundations of learning problems arising in the field of 3D printing.
In that field, a particularly relevant problem is the one of finding the right instructions to give to a 3D printer for a given design. This task is challenging, and it is currently done by trial and error. The goal of the PhD is to build, and analyze algorithms that automate this procedure. This will contribute to produce a final product with minimum waste, improved efficiency, and sustainability of production.
Mathematically, we will view the task as a learning problem: assuming that we have a database of available designs with their corresponding successful printing sequences, we want to construct an algorithm that automatically gives an admissible sequence of printing actions for a geometry that is not in the database. Building such a tool requires combining different mathematical fields such as optimization, machine learning, inverse problems, shape analysis. Having a good physical model of the mechanics of 3D printing and its numerical discretization comes also into the picture.
The candidate will work within the new research group on Data-Driven Scientific Computing led by Olga Mula, located at CASA, the Center for Analysis, Scientific Computing and Applications of TU Eindhoven. The work will take place in collaboration with researchers from the Mechanical Engineering and Built Environment department from TU/e, as part of an EAISI Exploratory Multidisciplinary AI Research project. EAISI is the Eindhoven Artificial Intelligence Systems Institute which brings together all AI activities of the TU/e. In this project, two PhD candidates will work together. The second PhD candidate will provide data from real experiments and expertise in mechanical modeling.
- MSc degree in Applied Mathematics (Numerical Analysis, Scientific Computing or Applied Analysis), Statistics, or Machine Learning.
- Interest and knowledge in at least two of the following topics: Scientific Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Inverse Problems, Data-Assimilation, Optimization and Numerical Optimal Control.
- Provable coding experience in Python, Julia, or C++.
- Interest in teaching activities.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Working and teaching are in English. Excellent skills in this language are required.
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? More information can be obtained from https://casa.win.tue.nl/home/
For questions about the content of this position, please contact dr. Olga Mula [o.mula[at]tue.nl].
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter (1 page max) in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of diplomas and a list of grades of your masters studies
- A copy of your MSc degree final thesis and/or relevant related publications or other scientific output
- An example of coding experience/implementation for a relevant problem
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled. You can upload a maximum of 5 documents of up to 10 MB each.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Postal Code
- 5612 AP
- De Rondom 70
Where to apply
De Rondom 70
- Postal Code
Ph D (M/F/D) On Coded Modulation Schemes For Optical Access/Metro Networks, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6917 Job description The Information and Communication Theory Lab (ICT lab) is currently seeking to recruit, sta...
Jads: Ph D In Engineering Data & Ai Supremacy In The Semiconductor Industry, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Mathematics and Computer Science Reference number V32.6925 Job description The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is the joint Data Science Academy o...
Jads: Ph D In Ai Ops And Dynamic, Explainable Orchestration, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Mathematics and Computer Science Reference number V32.6924 Job description The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is the joint Data Science Academy o...
Ph D On Time Predictable High Performance Computing, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Are you interested to do research on high-performance computing for real-time systems? Do you want to integrate teams from two world-renown universities: the Eindhoven University of Technology and...
Ph D (M/F/D) On Coding And Modulation For Quantum Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6918 Job description The Information and Communication Theory Lab (ICT lab) is currently seeking to recruit, sta...
Ph D On Mechanobiology Of Fibrous Tissue Architecture, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Biomedical Engineering Reference number V50.6893 Job description We invite applications for a PhD position at the interface of mechanobiology, cell–matrix i...