16 Nov 2023
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
5 Dec 2023 - 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Electro-Optical Communication Systems (ECO) group, in collaboration with the Photonic Integration Group (PhI) and within the Department of Electrical Engineering of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), is seeking to hire an outstanding PhD candidate on 'Hybrid-Photonic Neural Networks on Chip'.
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate to investigate and implement conventional and novel concepts of neuromorphic computation to be translated on the InP membrane on Silicon (IMOS) platform, relying on the possibility to co-integrate lasers, modulators and PDs and still reach ultra-compact form-factor and interfacing to ultra-fast electronics. Concepts of the in-memory computing will also be investigated and developed for this same platform and for the first time. This PhD research will enable mapping neural network models on monolithically integrated ultra-fast and ultra-compact chips, leading to highly efficient and parallel processing ultra-compact engines.
You will be working within the newly granted national NWA ORC (Research along Routes by Consortia) 'NL-ECO' project. Within this extensive project framework, we will focus on combining mapping photonics neural networks on IMOS technology for frontier neural network research and accelerators. The project is among the first to bridge electronic ICs and photonic ICs with the target of enable scalable, high bandwidth and low latency computation monolithically on chip. This research will enable a whole new class of reconfigurable neural network layouts, which could lead to highly efficient optical processing engines.
Several on-chip computing paradigms have already been proposed using light. However, optimal solutions and scalability at the small energy and low latency are still far ahead. A different approach needs to be explored and realized within this program. The Photonic Neural Network (PNN) Lab within the ECO group at TU/e aims to synergically collaborate with the Photonic Integration (PhI) group to leverage the intrinsic strengths of the IMOS photonic integration technology.
The PhD student will explore different brain-inspired neural network models and investigate suitability and mapping into programmable layout designs on chip, exploiting multi-project wafer and dedicated runs on IMOS, to include laser sources, modulators, PDs and all devices needed for enabling neural network based computation. He/she will explore localized (PCM based- or similar) memory for zero-power synaptic operations and of non-linearities on IMOS for the most energy efficient computation and footprint efficiency. He will develop proof-of-concept prototypes supporting high connectivity synaptic operations and photonic neural networks. He will perform scalability analysis and investigation of the maximum allowed neuron fan-in and its cascadability for deducing the physical layer metrics and foresee the ultimate computing metrics in terms of energy efficiency, computational speed and form-factor.
The PhD position is based within the Electro-Optical Communication Systems (ECO) group, in collaboration with the Photonic Integration (PhI) group, which are both part of the Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute (EHCI) and of the Eindhoven AI System Institute (EAISI). The ECO group has about 73 members, 55 of which are PhD students and PDs, and 18 are staff members, focusing on photonic technology for communication and computation. The PhI group focuses on ground-breaking designs and fabrication of top-notch integration technologies.
The EHCI has five dynamic and ambitious research groups, which are closely cooperating: a systems group, a photonic integration technology group and three materials research groups, with a predominant focus on neuromorphic and quantum computing is the ideal ecosystem where to develop this research. The EAISI brings together all AI activities of the TU/e. Top researchers from various departments and research groups work together to create new and exciting AI applications directly impacting the real world in collaboration with representatives from the industry.
The PhD student will also closely be connected to the NL-ECO consortium for idea cross-fertilization and for developing novel synergic research within the same consortium. The student will also closely interact with another PhD students who will do adjacent and connected work on the algorithms side.
Candidates for this challenging project must:
- Hold a Master within Electrical Engineering or Applied Physics or on Photonics;
- Has a strong background in photonics and integrated photonics fabrication;
- Is familiar with optical and electronic laboratory measurement equipment;
- Has a background in semiconductor devices and general knowledge about semiconductor physics, modelling, and component design and in system integration;
- Has good communication skills, fluent in English, both in speaking and writing, and good team-working capabilities and has a strong problem solving attitude.
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale P (min. €2,770 max. €3,539).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it's like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact dr. Patty Stabile (r.stabile[at]tue.nl) and dr. Yuqing Jiao (y.jiao[at]tue.nl).
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact
HR Services Flux, hrservices.flux[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button.
The application should include a:
- A cover letter explaining: 1) your motivation for applying to this position, 2) background and qualifications for the position, 3) the proposal for a research plan for next four years, based on the project description.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and awards),
- Contact information of two reference people,
- Copies of diplomas and a list of your courses taken and grades obtained,
- Half-page summary of your MSc thesis,
- Proof of English language skills (if applicable), and
- All other information that might be relevant.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible.
You can apply for this vacancy before December the 5th, 2023.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Postal Code
- 5612 AP
- De Rondom 70
Where to apply
De Rondom 70
- Postal Code
3 Ph D's Spiking Integrated Photonics For Neuromorphic Sensing And Processing, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.7267 Job description Would you like to perform cutting-edge research at the intersection between IC hardware and...
Ph D/Pd Position: Beam Forming With Large Scale Optical Phased Arrays, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
Position (Post-doctoral) Researcher, PhD-student Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Institutes and others Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute Reference number V36.7263 ...
Ph D Position: Scalable Cold Atom Based Quantum Computer Using Photonics, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.7248 Job description The advanced photonic solutions lab (APSL) at the Electro-Optics Communication (ECO) group ...
Two Phd Positions: Metasurfaces For Energy Efficient Wave Based Computing, AMOLF, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Are you fascinated by the idea of using light for all-optical information processing? Can you envision optical metasurfaces that perform operations on data at the speed of light? Are you motivated...
Ph D Position: Non Intrusive Managed Care At Home, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.7249 Job description Introduction The advanced photonic solutions lab (APSL) at the Electro-Optics Communication...
Ph D In Digital Design Of Oscillatory Neural Networks For Edge Ai, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
The NanoComputing Research Lab in Integrated Circuits (IC) group within the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is seeking to hire an excellent an...