18 May 2023
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Jul 2023 - 22:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research Programme Description
'E2GO- Cost-reduction of EV fast-charging station to enable large-scale electrification of mobility' is hiring 9 Doctorate Candidates (DCs)' to be funded by the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Doctoral Networks-Industrial Doctorates (DN-ID), 2021, within the European Union's EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation Europe Horizon under Grant Agreement No. 101072414.
The E2GO consortium contains Eindhoven University of Technology, Delta Electronics (Poland) Ltd., Heliox BV, University of Minho, Efacec Electric Mobility SA, Aalborg University, Silicon Austria Labs GMBH, Infineon Technologies Austria AG, Shell Global Solutions International BV, Kema Lab BV, University of Innsbruck, which brings together the stakeholders that cover the complete value chain of high-power fast-charging stations for EV creating an in-depth training programme that covers the spectrum from hardware design and electronics, to modelling and control algorithms. The multidisciplinary and intersectoral collaboration described here provides the unique opportunity to achieve the ambitious goal of E2GO to develop innovations to reduce the cost of fast-charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs) for massive deployment. Hence the DCs involved in this project will not only be highly sought-after individuals due to their gained experience at the interface of industrial and academic collaboration, but additionally they will be highly attractive for the automotive industry as experts in the strongly growing field of fast-charging, a frontier research area that will help to address the infrastructural needs and sustainability goals of the 21st century. This constellation will significantly further their individual career paths in industry and academia.
E2GO will hire 9 DCs in total, which will multiply the immediate impact of their own training and experience by sharing not only the newly acquired technical expertise but also the 'soft knowledge' concerning the different ways of thinking between industry and academia. By this, these fellows will gain a high level of employability and become real translational researchers capable of integrating both worlds of academia and industry.
The 9 DCs will be enrolled as PhDs earning experience in the industry.
Eligibility and mobility criteria(mandatory requirements EU rules)
- Supported researchers must be doctoral candidates, i.e. not already in possession of a doctoral degree at the date of the recruitment.
- Recruited researchers can be of any nationality and must comply with the following mobility rule: they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date. For 'International European Research Organisations' (IERO), 'international organisations', or entities created under Union law, the researchers must not have spent more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment in the same appointing organisation. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays and time spent by the researcher as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention (1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol) are not considered.
Conditions of employment in General
The successful candidates will receive from both employers an attractive salary in accordance with the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) regulations for Doctoral Candidate researchers and will include a mobility allowance.
The guaranteed PhD funding is for 36 months (i.e. EC funding, additional funding is possible, depending on the local Supervisor, and in accordance with the regular PhD time in the country of origin). In addition to their individual scientific projects, all fellows will benefit from further continuing education, which includes internships and secondments, a variety of training modules as well as transferable skills courses and attractive participation in conferences.
About University and Companies hosting this position
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. The Department of Electrical Engineering is responsible for research and education in Electrical Engineering. The discipline covers technologies and electrical phenomena involved in computer engineering, information processing, energy transfer, and telecommunication. The department strives for societal relevance through an emphasis on the fields of smart sustainable systems, the connected world and care & cure. The TU/e is the world's best-performing research university in terms of research cooperation with industry.
Founded in 2009, Heliox is the market leader in fast charging systems within public transport, e-trucks, marine, mining, and port equipment. Heliox is a full turn-key supplier of charging equipment in the range of 10 kW - 1 MW based on in-house developed power conversion, control, and cloud management products. We design, build, install, maintain, and monitor smart energy management solutions, tailor-made for all vehicle types, that support your business' e-mobility transition. We have over 300 employees, of which 90+ in R&D. Current focus points in R&D are increasing DC output power and flexibility of servicing 1 or multiple EVs with the same set of chargers.
KEMA Labs is world-renowned Testing, Inspection & Certification organization. Located at several sites across the globe, we combine traditional with state-of-the-art gear to ensure every kind of grid equipment, from medium- to ultra-high-voltage, can be tested, satisfying today's increasingly demanding criteria for performance and safety.
- Research field: Electrical Engineering, Power Electronics.
- Research Objectives: Development of cost-effective power conversion topologies for multi-outlet EV fast-charging equipment.
- Research Activities: DC4 will 1) do research on the multi-output topology for flexible use in EV charging applications; 2) implement the baseline design of galvanic isolation among multi-outlet charging according to. IEC61851-23; 3) investigate the active isolation monitoring techniques and control strategies to ensure the safety of multiple output charging.
- Employment and Secondment: The selected DC will be enrolled as PhD student at TU/e (NL) (4-year PhD program, of which last year will be funded by TU/e). The DC will be hired by TU/e for 18 months and supervised by dr. Dongsheng Yang, dr. Bas Vermulst. Then the DC will be hired by Heliox (NL) for 18 months with his/her secondment in Kema Lab (NL) where he/she will be supervised by dr. Thomas Gerrits and Kevin Salden (Heliox), and dr. Erik de Jong (KEMA)
We are looking for a candidate who meets the following requirements:
- You are creative and ambitious, hard-working, and persistent.
- You have a MSc degree in electrical engineering or any other relevant program.
- You have theoretical and applied knowledge of power electronics and galvanic insulation design.
- You have hands-on experimental experience in (high) power converter circuit design and implementation.
- You have good communicative skills, and the attitude to partake successfully in the work of a research team.
- You have a good command of the English language (Spoken and Written).
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 27 (min. €2,541 max. €3,247).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Curious to hear more about what it's like as a PhD candidate at TU/e? Please view the video.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact:dr. Dongsheng Yang (d.yang1[at]tue.nl), dr. Bas Vermulst (b.j.d.vermulst[at]tue.nl) or dr. Thomas Gerrits (thomas.gerrits[at]heliox-energy.com).
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services, email HRServices.Flux[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the apply button.
- Eligibility Statement: for verifying MSCA requirements, the candidates clearly indicate exact dates of (1) degree entitling to pursue a PhD (typically a Master of Science degree or Engineering degree), (2) positions and country of residence in the last 5 years.
- Complete CV (Europass format obligatory: Create your Europass CV | Europass ). The candidates are allowed to pursue a maximum of three positions in the E2GO programme.
If more than one position is pursued, please clearly indicate all the positions that applied with priorities on the first page of the CV.
- Motivation letter (maximum 1 page per position applied) should state why the applicant wishes to pursue the specific research and why she thinks s/he is an ideal candidate for the position.
- Scan of certificates showing BSc, MSc and other courses followed, with grades and if it is possible a ranking.
- Up to 3 recommendation letters and/or contact e-mail addresses with a brief professional description (title, position, relationship with applicant) of the referring person.
- If possible up to two selected publications (e.g. MSc thesis, conference paper) in English
The selection process contains two phases.
In the first phase, a pre-selection of possible candidates will be performed by Recruitment Committee. Based on CV, experience, skills, and motivation letter and a few round interviews, the Recruitment Committee will reduce the candidate list to a max of three candidates for each position.
In the second, the selected candidates will be invited to an official recruitment event in TU/e campus (NL) for the final interview. In the recruitment event all the selected candidates for the
9 positions will meet each other with the supervisors.
E2GO deals with a recruitment process based on the European principles of openness, fairness and transparency that guarantee a selection of candidates in respect of merit and gender balance.
Please, note that applications that do not follow the announcement's guidelines will not be considered.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
- Postal Code
- 5612 AP
- De Rondom 70
Where to apply
De Rondom 70
- Postal Code
Ph D Dc Power Conversion Technology For Offshore Wind To Hydrogen System, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6937 Job description About Project The project intends to explore the application of pure dc collection technolo...
Ph D Position (Dc1) On Qu Nest Quantum & Classical Optical Signal Co Propagation, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6935 Job description For the High-Capacity Optical Transmission Laboratory (HCOT) at Eindhoven University of Tec...
Ph D Position (Dc1) On Quantum Resistant Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
The Department of Electrical Engineering of the Eindhoven University of Technology has an open PhD position in Architectural consideration on PQC accelerators-based ARM processors. Irène Curie Fel...
Ph D Position (Dc2) On Quantum Resistant Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 6 days ago
The Department of Electrical Engineering of the Eindhoven University of Technology has an open PhD position in Co-integration of quantum communication with PQC key systems. Irène Curie Fellowship ...
Ph D On Time Predictable High Performance Computing, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Are you interested to do research on high-performance computing for real-time systems? Do you want to integrate teams from two world-renown universities: the Eindhoven University of Technology and...
Ph D On Mechanobiology Of Fibrous Tissue Architecture, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Biomedical Engineering Reference number V50.6893 Job description We invite applications for a PhD position at the interface of mechanobiology, cell–matrix i...