WHO ARE YOU?
- You have a successfully completed relevant MSc degree in (geo)hydrology. An internationally recognized two year master program taught in English and including a thesis research of 36 ECTS is highly preferred.
- proven experience with hydrological modeling
- Experience in programming scripts (e.g. Python, R, Matlab )
- Being able to put your technological hydrological expertise in a water system perspective
- You are a team player. Working together is essential for the success of this program;
- excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). Preferably with proven test-results available. For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page .
Candidates with other MSc degrees may need to conduct qualifying exams, successful language proficiency tests (TOEFL, or similar), and other extra requirements before being admitted to the project and the PhD programs of the participating Universities.
The Dutch delta faces enormous challenges in fresh water provision for industry, agriculture, nature and drinking water during increasingly frequent severe droughts due to climate change. This requires a major overhaul towards a water system that stores precipitation surplus instead of discharging it to the sea and towards use of alternative water sources, such as waste water treatment plant effluents, rain water collected from residential areas and brackish water. AquaConnect is instrumental in this transition by developing: i) chemical technologies enabling use of domestic/industrial effluents and brackish (ground)water, ii) digital technologies to design smart grid infrastructures to connect supply, demand, and nature based storage, iii) tools to manage related societal changes, and iv) demonstrations in four utilisation cases and international twinning.
AquaConnect scientific research will be performed in the following workpackages:
- Digital technologies to identify new groundwater resources and determine the impact of its extraction.
- Risk-assessment of cyclic water systems that include nature-based treatment and storage
- Chemical and physical technologies for fit-for-purpose water, brine and sludge supply
- Freshwater provision governance
- The digital smart water-grid
The scientific research in all workpackages will be performed in close collaboration with a work-package focussed on application of the scientific results in four demonstration areas in the Netherlands. As a PhD-candidate in AquaConnect, you will be expected to intensively cooperate with other (PhD) researchers and end-users from various companies to translate your scientific results into tangible pilot-application and demonstration in these Dutch demonstration areas.
Ph D Position ‘Socio Economic Analysis Of Circular Water Governance', Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Do you want to become part of a leading research group in the field of water governance and economics? Do you want to contribute to groundbreaking research to make the water sector fit for the fut...
Ph D Position Nioo Knaw Wageningen, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
The Department of Aquatic Ecology offers a PhD position on the project modelling decreasing greenhouse gas emissions from surface waters by climate‐smart water management (DIGS). Project descripti...
Ph D On The Global Water Energy Food Ecosystems Nexus Under Climate Extremes (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
PhD on the Global Water-Energy-Food-Ecosystems Nexus under Climate Extremes (1.0 FTE) Job description We are looking for: An enthusiastic PhD candidate who is interested in global-scale hydrology ...
Ph D Fellow In Hydrogeology At The Department Of Geosciences And Natural Resource Management, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
The Water Resources research group within the Geology Section at Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management of Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen invites applications fo...
Monitoring Transport Of Produced Water In The Ocean, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 12 hours ago
TitleMonitoring transport of produced water in the ocean DescriptionProduced formation water discharge to marine environments from offshore oil and gas operations is highly regulated, and environm...
Ph D: Modelling Coastal Flood Risk Climate Change And Sea Level Rise, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Are you interested in how coastal flooding and long-term sea level rise will affect human migration and adaptation to climate change? Do you have strong quantitative skills in modelling, data-asse...