Join the Amsterdam Business School at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) for a fully-funded PhD position and conduct impactful entrepreneurship research, together withinternationally renowned experts. We are seeking to nurture an ambitious and enthusiastic PhD candidate to join us on September 1st, 2023 (later starting date is possible too).
Entrepreneurship defines one of the most vibrant and largest research communities in management research. Over the past two decades, entrepreneurship scholarship has established not only a central role in research, but also in education and policy domains. With this increased attention, the demand for impactful and rigorous research represents many exciting opportunities to examine startup companies, the individuals that run them, and the social context they are embedded in.
This PhD project will be primarily shaped by the candidate’s ideas and capabilities, supported by a strong team of supervisors to guide and focus the main research question. We especially welcome ideas with a close link to at least one of the section’s research strengths:
- Startup and scaleup research (e.g., evaluation of startups by different stakeholders, recruitment in startups, nascent entrepreneurship, growth and scaling strategies);
- entrepreneurship for purpose (e.g., social entrepreneurship, diversity, equity and inclusion in startups);
- positive psychology of entrepreneurship (entrepreneurial mindset, well-being and stress, entrepreneurial resilience);
- artificial intelligence and entrepreneurship.
During your PhD trajectory, you will be offered training to conduct primarily quantitative empirical research aimed at advancing entrepreneurship research in top-tier academic journals. You will receive other support (e.g., research funding for data collection and conference travel) and will become an active member of a research lab focused on the study of startups. As a member of this lab within the Entrepreneurship and Innovation section, you will benefit from and contribute to a broader research agenda, networks, initiatives, resources, and input from a larger group of experienced researchers.
- Become a member of a collaborative team;
- co-planning and conducting research (including the design of the studies, and the collection and analysis of empirical data);
- write up findings for publication in prestigious entrepreneurship and management journals;
- present research findings at leading international conferences;
- attend classes and seminars (including those offered at other universities) to further develop thinking and research skills;
- participate in and contribute to research activities at the section and lab (e.g., research seminars and research meetings);
- assist in relevant teaching and knowledge dissemination activities.
- At least 3 manuscripts ready for submission to or already published in top academic journals (adequate collegial support and mentorship will be provided);
- placement at a research university in a tenure track position;
- continued collaboration with the lab and its members.
- Master’s degree in business administration/management, economics, psychology, sociology, or a related discipline (expected to finish by September 2023); Preference will be given to candidates with research masters;
- strong demonstrated interest in pursuing an academic career;
- openness for interdisciplinary approaches;
- background in conducting empirical research, specifically conducting experiments, content analysis of textual data or statistical analysis of archival datasets. We will provide training but some background in at least one is a must;
- excellent communication, presentation and writing skills. An excellent command of English, ideally with experience writing for a scientific audience;
- inquisitive nature, next to a drive to increase your knowledge and a passion for research;
- people skills to work in a team, openness to collaborate with others and to contribute to the functioning of our lab.
The compensation package is competitive at the European level and includes several secondary benefits. Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. To know more about working at the University of Amsterdam, please check this link and uva.nl/working-at-eb .
The employment contract will be for 38 hours a week four years with an initial period of 18 months, with an intermediate evaluation after 18 months and a possibility to extend it for 30 months (in total four years). End-result should be a PhD thesis. An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses and (international) conferences.
The gross monthly salary will range from €2.541 in the first year to €3.247 (based on 38 hours per week) in the last year. The Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Additionally, the University of Amsterdam offers excellent benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- A maximum of 29 days of annual leave based on full-time employment;
- possibility to save an additional 12 days of leave on an annual basis;
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- solid pension scheme (ABP);
- contribution to commuting expenses, an internet and homework allowance.
What else do we offer
- A function in which your own initiative and input are strongly valued;
- an enthusiastic and warm team that is open to new colleagues;
- a collegial and supportive mentorship atmosphere;
- collaboration opportunities in an active and vibrant research lab.
- an inspiring academic and international work environment in the center of Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystems in Europe;
- involvement in teaching (20% of the position is expected to be devoted to teaching, based on the individual profile of the candidate).
The selection committee for this PhD position consists of: Prof. dr. Martin Obschonka , Dr. Yuval Engel , Dr. Kevin Curran and Dr. Lien De Cuyper from the Entrepreneurship and Innovation section at the Amsterdam Business School of the University of Amsterdam . The Entrepreneurship and Innovation section has over 15 members who do research and teach mainly in Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management. We also have a keen interest in the societal impacts of entrepreneurship and innovation. The members of the section have published their research in top-tier academic journals, such as Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Business Venturing, Management Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, and Research Policy. Members are also involved in teaching in undergraduate- and master-level programs and uphold strong relationships with industry, business, and other stakeholders in the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
About UvA Economics and Business
Education and research at UvA Economics and Business (EB) cover a wide range of fields that includes economics, data science, business administration, business analytics, accountancy, control, econometrics, finance, and entrepreneurship. This is organized in 2 Schools: the Amsterdam Business School (ABS) and the Amsterdam School of Economics (ASE). Over 7,000 students are enrolled in our UvA Economics and Business programs, and around 500 employees provide education and support. You will primarily work in the Amsterdam Business School that acquired the triple-crown accreditation (AACSB, AMBA, EQUIS), which is awarded to only 1% of business schools worldwide.
Find more information about Economics and Business on uva.nl/eb .
Find more information about the Amsterdam Business School on abs.uva.nl .
Find more information about the Amsterdam School of Economics on ase.uva.nl .
Do you have any questions, or do you require additional information? Please contact:
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by June 30st 2023.
Applications in one pdf should include:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A letter of motivation including a description of the candidate’s primary research interests and ambitions.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a job interview and may be asked to present their (thesis) research work. First ideas for the PhD project are welcome, but this is not obligatory. Shortlisted candidates may also be asked to provide two reference letters.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please.
Ph D In Accounting, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 28 days ago
4 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Economics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 1 Apr...
Postdoctoral And Ph D Positions In Gravitational Wave Physics At Grappa, The University Of Amsterdam , GRAPPA, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Skip to main content AAS Job Register Find and post astronomy related jobs! Search form Search AAS Home AAS Job Register Home Member Directory Postdoctoral and PhD positions in gravitational wave ...
Ph D Position: Model Living Systematic Reviews Of Research On Human Cooperation, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Would you like to pursue a PhD in the social sciences? Do you have an interest in how people cooperate with each other, meta-science, and/or the application of meta-analysis in the social sciences...
Ph D Candidate Algebraic Complexity, Combinatorics And Quantum Information, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 4 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 3 Jan ...
Ph D Student 'Transforming Europe’s Forests', Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Do you want to make an impact on Europe’s forest management through research? We offer an exciting PhD project in Environmental Geography. Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: ...
Ph D Position: Artificial Intelligence In Science Education, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Are you driven by a passion for education and intrigued by the potential of artificial intelligence (AI) in shaping the future of learning? If so, the PhD student role within the Innovations in He...