- You have a successfully completed relevant MSc degree. An internationally recognized two year master program taught in English and including a thesis research of 36 ECTS is highly preferred. Your degree is in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Biotechnology or Material Sciences, or in a related discipline;
- You are a team player. Working together is essential for the success of this program;
- excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). Preferably with proven test-results available. For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page .
Candidates with other MSc degrees may need to conduct qualifying exams, successful language proficiency tests (TOEFL, or similar), and other extra requirements before being admitted to the project and the PhD programs of the participating Universities.
The Dutch delta faces enormous challenges in fresh water provision for industry, agriculture, nature and drinking water during increasingly frequent severe droughts due to climate change. This requires a major overhaul towards a water system that stores precipitation surplus instead of discharging it to the sea and towards use of alternative water sources, such as waste water treatment plant effluents, rain water collected from residential areas and brackish water. AquaConnect is instrumental in this transition by developing: i) chemical technologies enabling use of domestic/industrial effluents and brackish (ground)water, ii) digital technologies to design smart grid infrastructures to connect supply, demand, and nature based storage, iii) tools to manage related societal changes, and iv) demonstrations in four utilisation cases and international twinning.
AquaConnect scientific research will be performed in the following workpackages:
- Digital technologies to identify new groundwater resources and determine the impact of its extraction.
- Risk-assessment of cyclic water systems that include nature-based treatment and storage
- Chemical and physical technologies for fit-for-purpose water, brine and sludge supply
- Freshwater provision governance
- The digital smart water-grid
The scientific research in all workpackages will be performed in close collaboration with a work-package focussed on application of the scientific results in four demonstration areas in the Netherlands. As a PhD-candidate in AquaConnect, you will be expected to intensively cooperate with other (PhD) researchers and end-users from various companies to translate your scientific results into tangible pilot-application and demonstration in these Dutch demonstration areas.
Ph D Position ‘Socio Economic Analysis Of Circular Water Governance', Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Do you want to become part of a leading research group in the field of water governance and economics? Do you want to contribute to groundbreaking research to make the water sector fit for the fut...
Ph D On Development Of Forward Osmosis Membranes For Clean Water Production, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
The main objective of the European H2020 project DESOLINATION is to decarbonise desalination processes in arid regions to produce drinking water from seawater. The ultimate goal of this multi-part...
Ph D Position Nioo Knaw Wageningen, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Aquatic Ecology offers a PhD position on the project modelling decreasing greenhouse gas emissions from surface waters by climate‐smart water management (DIGS). Project descripti...
Ph D On Development Of Forward Osmosis Membranes For Clean Water Production, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
Department(s) Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Reference number V37.5079 Job description The main objective of the European H2020 project DESOLINATION is to decarbonise desalination processes in...
Monitoring Transport Of Produced Water In The Ocean, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 6 days ago
TitleMonitoring transport of produced water in the ocean DescriptionProduced formation water discharge to marine environments from offshore oil and gas operations is highly regulated, and environm...
Ph D Position: Environmental Fate, Bioavailability And Bioaccumulation Of Pfas, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 9 days ago
Do you have a passion for science and wish to understand the environmental risk of PFAS? Then the Universiteit of Amsterdam (UvA) and the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) would like to get to kno...