Eindhoven University of Technology is recruiting an ambitious PhD candidate who will study how biomaterials influence cell physiology through adhesion mediated control and apply this knowledge to improve the interaction of medical implants with the human body. The successful candidate is cell biology and equally interested in computational analysis and biomaterial engineering; she/he is passionate about molecular biology and has a desire to unravel biomolecular mechanisms. The research performed by the candidate is an essential link between biomaterial engineering and clinical application of biomaterials in regenerative medicine, which is the focus of the cluster Regenerative Medical Engineering.
Within the framework of the Materials Driven Regeneration program, the candidate will work in the lab of Prof. Jan de Boer (www.jandeboerlab.com ) on the molecular mechanism by which biomaterials control the phenotype of the cells which are in contact with them. The emphasis will be on the role of integrin-mediated signaling in the phenotypic control of fibroblasts and macrophages in the control of the foreign body response. The research use selected materials from the MDR consortium and apply high content imaging, transcriptomics and experimental cell biology to acquire data and uses data mining and computational modeling to analyze it. The PhD candidate is expected to do scientific research in the field described above, write a doctoral thesis, and publish research results in scientific journals. An educational and professional development program is offered to all PhD candidates. You will also be involved in teaching courses offered by the group, as well as contribute to the supervision of bachelor and master students.
We are accepting applications from enthusiastic and highly talented candidates who are interested in a dynamic, stimulating, and ambitious environment to perform their research. We are looking for candidates that meet the following requirements:
- A background in Biomedical Engineering (or similar) with emphasis on cell biology and interested in computational tools for hypothesis generation.
- Effective communication of ideas, foster collaborations, and have a capability for independent thinking.
- Work independently within a dynamic team and be proficient in written and spoken English.
The research will be conducted within the Biolnterface Science (BIS) group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering under the supervision of prof. dr. Jan de Boer (www.jandeboerlab.com). Research at BiS is dedicated to understanding and applying basic cell biological principles at the Biointerfaces, especially for regenerative medicine. The research program is characterized by a holistic approach to both discovery and application, aiming at combining high throughput technologies, computational modeling, and experimental biology to streamline the wealth of biological knowledge to real clinical applications.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious University and an enthusiastic team.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program ).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities, increasing from € 2.541,- per month initially, to € 3.247,- in the fourth year.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more regarding the academic content of the position? Please contact Prof. dr. Jan de Boer, j.d.boer[at]tue.nl.
Information about the Biolnterface Science group see jandeboerlab.com
Information about the Biomedical Engineering department at TU!e see:https://www.tue.nl/en/university/departments!biomedical-engineering .
For information about terms of employment, please contact Sascha Sanchez, HR advisor, s.j.m.g.sanchez.van.oort[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 7310.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs and www.tue.nl/en/education/graduate-school/ to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- Brief description of your MSc thesis.
We look forward to your application.
We will screen your application as soon as possible and the vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Ph D Position Delivery Of Rna Therapeutics Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, Adolphe Merkle Institute, Switzerland, 11 days ago
The BioNanomaterials group of Profs Rothen-Rutishauser/ Fink (https://www.ami.swiss/bionanomaterials/en/ ) at the Adolphe Merkle Institute at the University of Fribourg is looking for a highly mo...
Ph D Position (H/F) In Stem Cell Biology, CNRS, Niue, 17 days ago
The iBV (Université Cote d'Azur, Nice, France) is a centre of excellence that focuses on the basic principles governing the development of normal cells, tissues and embryos and those leading to pa...
Ph D Student, University of A Coruña, Spain, about 13 hours ago
Grant/funding reference: 851179 Job title: Supramolecular engineering of biologically inspired peptide nanostructures - SENSE Research line / Scientific-technical services: Peptide materials Tasks...
4 Year Ph D Position On Biomimetic Microscaffolds Within The Programme ‘Smart Organ On Chip:..., Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
The MERLN Institute for Technology-Inspired Regenerative Medicine of Maastricht University invites applications for a 4-year PhD position on biomimetic microscaffolds for vascularized skin and int...
Postdoctoral Position In Molecular Biology – University Of Toronto, Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences CSMB, Canada, about 9 hours ago
The Rhee Lab at the University of Toronto Mississauga has one or two postdoctoral positions available for candidates with expertise in molecular biology, cell biology, or related biological areas....
Fully Funded Ph D Studentship – Tendon Engineering (# Of Pos: 5), Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, Ireland, 12 days ago
Description: Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a fully funded (fees and stipend), full-time PhD position at the University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. University...