4-years PhD student position in big data management (correlations, causality detection, data synopses for knowledge lake management systems).
Mathematics and Computer Science
The position will be with the Databases group of the TU Eindhoven, which is part of the cluster Data and Artificial Intelligence. You will join a vibrant team of 4 permanent researchers/academics and 8 PhD students and postdocs, and work in an exciting EU project with industry leaders and other top research institutes across Europe. You will participate in cutting-edge research, publish your work in leading conferences and journals for data management (SIGMOD, VLDB, TODS, TKDE), contribute in open-source tools, and collaborate with industry leaders to apply these tools in real world. You will travel to present your work, and to participate in meetings with world-class academics and industrial partners.
The position is funded by EU project STELAR, which focuses on designing, developing, evaluating, and showcasing an innovative Knowledge Lake Management System (KLMS) to support and facilitate a holistic approach for FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) and AI-ready (high-quality, reliably labeled) data. The project is a joint effort of 4 research partners and 5 European industry leaders. Your main activities will be to:
- push the state-of-the-art on detection of correlations and causalities
- develop and adapt synopses for data summarization
- apply your research results in real-world problems, with real data and users. Discuss with the domain experts to identify problems, limitations, and further challenges
- conduct research in data engineering, publish papers in top conferences and journals, identify research challenges.
- MSc degree in computer science, computer engineering, or similar;
- Excellent knowledge of at least one of Java, C, C++, Scala;
- A solid background in science or engineering, with strong mathematical affinity;
- Excellent command of English. If English is not the native language of the candidate,
TOEFL or similar with high grade;
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, proactive, goal-oriented;
- Capability and willingness to work independently, as well as in an interdisciplinary team;
- Experience in open-source software will be considered an advantage;
- Publications in top-tier conferences and journals of databases/data management will be considered additional advantages.
Conditions of employment
- A PhD degree from a European university ranked among the top-100 in the world;
- A fulltime temporary appointment for a period of 4 years, with an intermediate evaluation after 9 months;
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating research environment;
- A gross salary of €2.443 per month in the first year increasing up to €3.122 in the fourth year.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Travel funding for presenting your work at the leading conferences and for research visits;
- Possibility to participate in supervision of MSc students;
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program ).
- Support for your personal development and career planning including courses, summer schools, conference visits etc.;
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- An extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. support in moving expenses and commuting expenses, excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes, on-campus child care, and excellent sports facilities;
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr O. Papapetrou, o.papapetrou[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact HRServices.MCS[at]tue.nl
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualifications for the position;
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae, including contact details of referees;
- Key publications, if any (or links to download).
- A transcript of your grades.
- Copies of your degrees and diplomas
- A copy or a link to your Master thesis. If you have not completed it yet, please explain your current situation.
Selected candidates may be invited first for an online interview and then for onsite visits to TU/e. Original degrees or certified copies will be requested at a second stage, for selected candidates.
The selection process will start immediately and will continue until the positions get filled.
The position is fully funded and available starting September 2022, or soon thereafter.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Ph D Candidate In Causal Representation Learning And Fusion From Multiple Modalities, EURAXESS, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Are you interested in applying ideas from causal inference, causal representation learning and information theory to learning causal relations from multimodal data, e.g., images, text, etc.? Are y...
Ph D Positions On Seamless Design Of Smart Edge Processors, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 17 hours ago
PhD positions on Seamless design of Smart Edge Processors PhD positions on Seamless design of Smart Edge Processors Published Deadline Location yesterday 4 Sep Eindhoven The Electronic Systems (ES...
Ph D Position (Dc3) On Quantum Resistant Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
PhD Position (DC3) on Quantum resistant communications PhD Position (DC3) on Quantum resistant communications Published Deadline Location today 11 Sep Eindhoven The Department of Electrical Engine...
Ph D Position (Dc1) On Quantum Resistant Communications, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
PhD Position (DC1) on Quantum resistant communications PhD Position (DC1) on Quantum resistant communications Published Deadline Location today 18 Sep Eindhoven The Department of Electrical Engine...
Ph D Candidate: Modelling Osteoarthritis Through Biomechanics And Imaging, Erasmus MC, Netherlands, 26 days ago
Erasmus MC, in collaboration with TU Delft, is looking for a PhD candidate within a project investigating the development and employment of unique advanced biomechanics and imaging methods to prec...
1. Ph D Position In Computational Mechanics Applied To Cultural Heritage, EURAXESS, Netherlands, 7 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...