Opportunity for a full-time PhD position for outstanding candidates to join the project - Additive manufacturing of sustainable concrete for zero-energy buildings. We are looking for MSc graduates with a strong interest in the built environment, additive manufacturing and automation/robotics.
The civil engineering sector is responsible for 40% of energy consumption and 36% of CO2 emissions, and Construction and demolition waste (CDW) accounts for approximately 25% to 30% of all waste generated in the EU. Securing resource and energy efficiency are key drivers to improve sustainability in buildings and civil infrastructures. Current mixes for 3D printable concrete use high amounts of cement, which increases the material’s embodied energy and carbon footprint. Although 3D printing technology is developing rapidly, buildings made through 3D printed concrete still lack adequate thermal performance. To make the technology attractive for the industry sector these buildings need to fit The Netherlands’ target for energy efficient and zero-energy dwellings. In this project, we address these pressing issues through two complementary strategies:
- acting on the mix composition to make it more sustainable – lowering the cement content, replacing it with sustainable additives that can act as binders, and
- applying solutions that can improve thermal performance, through passive (insulation) or active (heat storage) methods.
By developing new compositions with improved thermal efficiency and lower cement content, 3D printed buildings can become an alternative and viable solution for nearly zero energy housing. This project involves several industrial partners and the results of the research will become available for industrial implementation.
This is a project funded by NWO, led by TU/e in collaboration with a consortium of industrial partners: https://www.nwo.nl/onderzoek-en-resultaten/programmas/ttw/high-tech-systemen-en-materialen-htsm/2019---17967.html
You will work within the 3D Concrete Printing (3DCP) research group that operates and develops its own 3D Concrete Printer at the Department of the Built Environment. The group is currently running several projects, including Project Milestone, the world’s first commercial housing project based on 3D-concrete printing - http://www.tue.nl/3Dconcreteprinting
PhD in Sustainable and thermally active materials for 3D printed buildings
This is a position to develop new sustainable compositions for zero-energy 3D printed buildings, including mixes with low cement and thermally active (energy storage) additives. Specific methodologies will be defined for testing thermal efficiency and heat storage capability.
- MSc degree in Civil Engineering, Materials Engineering, or equivalent,
- A strong background in construction materials (experience with rheology characterisation techniques, inorganic chemistry and geopolymers) is essential.
- Knowledge of additive manufacturing in construction and heat storage/transfer is desirable.
- Good communication and organisation skills,
- Strong cooperation skills and the ability to work in a team,
- Excellent command of the English language, both in speaking and writing.
- Ability to work independently within a dynamic team and a multidisciplinary research environment.
Conditions of employment
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial benefit package.
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes).
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact dr. Sandra Lucas, e-mail: s.s.d.o.lucas[at]tue.nl.
For information about terms of employment click here .
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
If you are interested in this position, you can only use the 'apply now'-button on this page.
You can upload a maximum of 5 documents up to 2 MB each. Please upload (in pdf format):
- Cover letter (2 page max), which includes a motivation of your interest and an explanation of why you meet the job requirements (see above).
- Detailed Curriculum vitae,
- Transcripts of academic records showing courses taken, including grades,
- Contact details of two references (e-mail, phone number).
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Ph D In Additive Manufacturing Of Sustainable Concrete For Zero Energy Buildings, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 26 days ago
The civil engineering sector is responsible for 40% of energy consumption and 36% of CO2 emissions, and Construction and demolition waste (CDW) accounts for approximately 25% to 30% of all waste g...
Ph D Position Anodic H2 O2 Production In Alkaline Water Electrolysis, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 7 days ago
The project will be a mix of literature research, design engineering, experimental work, supported by theoretical analyses and numerical simulations. In collaboration with Nouryon, Hanzehogeschool...
Ph D Position On Anion Exchange Membrane Water Electrolysis, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Research group The group sustainable process engineering (SPE) within the faculty of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering develops small scale, intensified and integrated systems for the distributed p...
Ph D Candidate In Building Energy Modelling, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 21 days ago
This is NTNU At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students. We are looking for dedicated employees to join us. You will find more...
Ph D Candidate In Building Energy Modelling, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a 3-year PhD scholarship within the research group “Energy and Environment” at the Department of Architecture and Technology (IAT) on the topic of “Buildin...
Ph D Position In Software Development For Sustainable Consumer Decisions, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 5 days ago
The Bits to Energy Lab Zurich, which is part of the Chair of Information Management lead by Professor Dr. Elgar Fleisch at the Department of Management, Economics and Technology, offers a PhD posi...