4 Nov 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Apr 2024 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Join the Accounting section of the Amsterdam Business School at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) for a fully-funded PhD position to conduct impactful accounting research, together withinternationally renowned experts. We are seeking ambitious and enthusiastic PhD candidates to join us on September 1st, 2024.
Accounting research deals with a variety of questions in the areas of financial accounting, managerial accounting, auditing, and increasingly, sustainability/ESG accounting. Broadly, accounting research addresses how (accounting) information is created, disseminated and used, and how this information affects the world around us (e.g., capital market participants, employees, other internal and external stakeholders).
This PhD position is a full-time position for a period of four years. The first year will consist of PhD-level coursework, after which the candidate will start working on his or her own research agenda under the supervision and with the support of the senior professors within the department. The research projects will be shaped by the candidate’s ideas, interests and capabilities. We especially welcome candidates with a strong interest in the intersection of accounting and sustainability/ESG, and candidates who are interested in primarily conducting quantitative empirical research (archival or experimental). The fourth year of the PhD position typically involves a half- to full-year visit at another internationally renowned school.
During your PhD trajectory, you will become an active member of the accounting section and will benefit from and contribute to our broader research agenda. You will be offered other support (e.g., research funding for data collection and conference travel).
PhD candidates are expected to do a limited amount of teaching-related activities, including undergraduate tutorials and the supervision of MSc and/or BSc thesis projects.
- Develop innovative research ideas;
- conduct research (including the design of the studies, and the collection and analysis of empirical data);
- write up findings for publication in prestigious accounting journals;
- present research findings at leading international conferences;
- attend courses and seminars to develop research skills;
- participate in and contribute to research activities within the section (e.g., research seminars);
- contribute to teaching activities (e.g., conduct tutorials) and supervise thesis students (20 percent of the task).
- Research skills and an in-depth understanding of accounting research;
- at least 3 manuscripts ready for submission to top academic journals (adequate collegial support and supervision will be provided);
- placement at a research university in a tenure track position.
- Master’s or Research Master’s degree in business administration/management, economics, or a related discipline (expected to finish by September 2024);
- If the Master’s degree is obtained from a non-European university, we require a GMAT or GRE score no older than five years;
- strong demonstrated interest in pursuing an academic career;
- strong interest in accounting research and the intersection with sustainability/ESG;
- strong quantitative skills or background in empirical research. Knowledge of programming (e.g., stata/Python/R/textual analysis/machine learning) is a plus.
- excellent communication, presentation and writing skills. An excellent command of English is a must We may require a TOEFL or IETLS;
- curious, collaborative nature with a desire to learn.
The compensation package is competitive at the European level and includes several secondary benefits. Favorable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. To know more about working at the University of Amsterdam, please check uva.nl/working-at-eb .
The employment contract will be for 38 hours a week four years with an initial period of 18 months, with an intermediate evaluation after 18 months and a possibility to extend it for 30 months (in total four years). End-result should be a PhD thesis. An educational plan will be drafted that includes attendance of courses and (international) conferences.
The gross monthly salary will range from €2.770 in the first year to €3.539 (based on 38 hours per week) in the last year. The Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Additionally, the University of Amsterdam offers excellent benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- A maximum of 29 days of annual leave based on full-time employment;
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- solid pension scheme (ABP);
- contribution to commuting expenses, an internet and homework allowance.
What else do we offer
- A function in which your own initiative and input are strongly valued;
- collaboration opportunities in an active and diverse research group;
- a challenging workplace with varied tasks and plenty of room for personal initiative and development in an inspiring organization.
The Accounting section of the Amsterdam Business School (www.abs.uva.nl/accounting ) focuses on research in a wide range of topical areas and methods in accounting. The members of the department have published their research in the top academic accounting journals, such as the Journal of Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Accounting Organizations and Society, Contemporary Accounting Research, and Review of Accounting Studies. Members of the department are also involved in teaching in undergraduate and master level programs, as well as in executive education. The section hosts an international seminar series and has strong ties with accounting groups from universities around the globe.
The Amsterdam Business School provides an inspiring and truly international research environment. Accounting, finance, data science, and sustainability are key pillars of the school. Business school researchers have access to excellent facilities, including all major financial databases, an experimental economics lab, and a behavioral lab. The school has strong connections with the accounting profession, the Big Four audit firms, and the local business community.
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by April 1st, 2024.
Applications in one pdf should include:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A letter of motivation including a description of the candidate’s primary research interests and ambitions.
- A grade list for the most recently completed degree.
- Recent test scores (GMAT/GRE, TOEFL/IELTS) if applicable.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a job interview and may be asked to present their (thesis) research work. First ideas for the PhD project are welcome, but this is not obligatory. Shortlisted candidates may also be asked to provide two reference letters.
No agencies please/#LI-DNP/#LI-POST/Apply now
Do you have any questions, or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dr. Sander van Triest, Head of Accounting Section ([email protected] )
- Dr. Ulrike Thuerheimer, UvA Sustainability Accounting Center ([email protected] )
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Postal Code
- Roetersstraat 11
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D In Statistics And Machine Learning , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Are you eager to apply cutting-edge machine learning techniques, develop innovative algorithms, and tackle real-life challenges associated with diagnosing of Alzheimer’s disease? The Business Anal...
Ph D In Conservation Entrepreneurship , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Do you want to work towards bending the curve of biodiversity loss? And are you interested in understanding where entrepreneurial practices can promote biodiversity conservation, how current ecolo...
Ph D Position On Theoretical Cosmology And Deep Learning , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
We are looking for enthusiastic candidates for a PhD position at the intersection of theoretical astroparticle physics, cosmology and deep learning at the University of Amsterdam. You will be part...
Ph D Position In Data Quality For/Using Ai Based Solutions, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 17 days ago
PhD Position in Data Quality for/using AI-based Solutions PhD Position in Data Quality for/using AI-based Solutions Published Deadline Location yesterday 17 Mar Amsterdam Job description Data qual...
Ph D Position – The Politics Of Eu Climate Policies , ;, Netherlands, 18 days ago
The Amsterdam School for Regional and Transnational and European Studies (ARTES), a research school of the University of Amsterdam, invites applications for a fully-funded 4-year PhD position. Th...
2 Ph D Positions Political Science: Understanding Allocation Of Climate Finance In The Global South , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 6 days ago
The Department of Political Science at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is looking for two PhD’s in Political Science: Understanding the Allocation of Climate Finance in the Global South. The imp...