PhD position in computational physical chemistry: modeling air-water interface for medical applications of low temperature plasmas
Applied Physics and Science Education
We seek to hire a PhD candidate to computationally investigate fundamental physical and chemical processes which occur due to application of low temperature plasmas to water.
In physics, “plasma” is a special excited gas, sometimes named “the fourth state of matter”, which is generated by supplying sufficient energy to the gas. Low temperature atmospheric pressure plasmas are specific types of plasmas which are typically generated by applying electromagnetic fields to matter, and they are therefore not in thermodynamic equilibrium. In many cases, average electron energy is significantly higher than the energy of heavy particles. This allows plasma sources to produce a chemically rich environment very close to room temperature; a condition which enables the delivery of reactive species in a non-destructive and beneficial way to different surfaces, even to extremely heat sensitive ones, such as organic tissues. This is where, the new field of “plasma medicine” emerges which investigates the application of plasmas to biological targets for sterilization, wound healing, blood coagulation, drug delivery, cancer treatment, contamination control, food preservation, etc.
The PhD candidate is expected to employ methods such as Density Functional Theory (DFT), and molecular dynamics (MD) to model air-water interface with the specific application of plasma medicine in mind.
The research will be carried out at the Elementary Processes in Gas Discharges (EPG ) group at the Applied Physics Department of the Eindhoven University of Technology (The Netherlands) and is in collaboration with Institute for Complex Molecular Systems (ICMS).
In addition to research, you will also contribute to education within the department of Applied Physics. Apart from supervising BSc and MSc students in their research projects, other assistance in education, e.g., in bachelor courses, is usually limited to around 5% of your contract time.
In this project you will interact with members of ICMS Immuno-engineering Program at TU/e. In addition, you have the opportunity to participate with national and international schools, workshops and conferences.
We are looking for a candidate that meets the following requirements:
- A solid background including master’s degree in a relevant field (material science, physics, chemistry, plasma chemistry).
- A research-oriented attitude.
- A strong interest in method development and implementation (Python, C++).
- Being enthusiastic about collaboration with experimentalists.
- Good communication skills, and proficiency in English.
- Experience with the use of standard quantum chemistry software, as well as molecular dynamics packages is of advantage.
- Experience with plasma modelling is of advantage.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months.
- To develop your teaching skills, you will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- To support you during your PhD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will make a Training and Supervision plan and you will have free access to a personal development program for PhD students (PROOF program ).
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
Behnaz Bagheri (b.bagheri[at]tue.nl) at the department of Applied Physics.
For information about terms of employment, please click here or contact HRServices.flux[at]tue.nl.
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs and www.tue.nl/en/education/graduate-school/ to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Brief description of bachelor or master thesis.
- A list of courses and grades during relevant studies, including GPA in its local scale.
We look forward to your application.
We will screen your application as soon as possible and the vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
Ph D Student Plasma Physics And Chemistry (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 22 hours ago
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT FROM IDEA TO PROTOTYPE For our department Plasma Diagnostics at the location in Greifswald we are looking to recruit at the earliest possible date a PhD Student Plasma Phy...
Ph D On Atomic Layer Deposition For Li Ion Batteries, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 30 days ago
Are you willing to contribute to the next generation of Li-ion batteries for mobile applications, with enhanced energy density and storage capacity, improved lifetime, and safety? If so, we invite...
Ph D Position Plasma Fluid Interactions (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 22 hours ago
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT FROM IDEA TO PROTOTYPE For our research group Plasma Source Concepts we are looking to recruit as of 1st September 2022 for our location in Karlsburg (near Greifswald) an ...
Ph D Position On Liquid Organic Hydrogen Carriers , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Hydrogen is becoming one of the key energy carriers for the future to deal with the challenge of climate change and achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement, also because it can help to compensate...
Ph D (Esr) In Atmospheric Research On The Cloud Experiment At Cern, CERN, Switzerland, 27 days ago
SUMMARY: Applications are invited from highly-motivated individuals wishing to carry out a PhD thesis on atmospheric research conducted at the CLOUD facility at CERN, with special focus on ion pro...
Ph D Fellow In Physics Climate Dynamics, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway, about 10 hours ago
The position The Department of Physics and Technology announces a vacant PhD fellow position in the area of climate dynamics at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway. The position is available fo...