- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 2,434 - € 3,111
- Faculty of Arts
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Application deadline: 15 September 2021
You will work as part of the international Women Writers in History (WWIH) network, founded in the 1990s and currently active as DARIAH Working Group . This research network studies the reception of works by women authors from the Middle Ages to c. 1930 from a transnational perspective. As part of this network, you will be responsible for coordinating the re-development of the NEWW Virtual Research Environment/database , including data sourcing and curation workflows. Depending on the topic of your PhD research, the development work will focus on implementing state-of-the-art analytic tools to carry out network analysis, data linking and/or text mining (e.g. linked to recently digitised women's correspondences or other relevant databases).
As a PhD candidate you will write a PhD thesis on a topic of your choosing related to the database content and/or database development. You will participate in the Graduate School for the Humanities, which includes taking courses for approximately six months (30 EC), and you will provide half a year of academic service to the Faculty of Arts of Radboud University. You will participate in the WWIH network's programme of workshops, symposia and international conferences, both in speaking and organisational roles. You will also contribute to the publication of the network's digital and print research outputs, both individually and collaboratively.
- A Master's degree (preferably a Research Master's) in Digital Humanities, Modern Literatures, History, Women's Studies or a related discipline.
- You are result-oriented, fluent in English, and have excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrable research experience and affinity with the history of women's authorship.
- Good reading knowledge of three or more modern European languages.
- Experience working in a Digital Humanities environment and willingness to further develop DH skills.
- Team spirit and ability to work collaboratively in an international research team.
- A proactive, can-do outlook.
The Faculty of Arts employs over 500 academic and support staff in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics and communication. Research is embedded in two faculty research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) or the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH). The faculty currently enrols some 2,400 students in three departments: the department of History, Art History and Classics, the department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the department of Language and Communication. We want to be a diverse and inclusive organisation, which is why we aim to create a culturally diverse staff.
- Employment: 0.8 (5 year contract) - 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,434 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,111 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- The intended start date is 1 January 2022.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. A. Montoya, professor
Practical information and applications
Please address your application to Prof. A. Montoya and submit it, using the application button, no later than 15 September 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Motivation letter.
- CV, including the names and contact information of two references, one of which should be your thesis supervisor.
- Full transcript of grades obtained during BA and MA studies.
- MA thesis.
- 1000-word research statement in which you present:
- Your research interests and intended topic of your PhD project.
- Your choice of methodology and guiding research question.
- Your project's relation to the Women Writers database project.
- A four-year work plan, with clearly defined deliverables (conference papers, publications, dissertation).
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Position In Modelling Data And Processes (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
We offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international research group. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research an...
Four Ph D Positions 'Beyond Sharia: The Role Of Sufism In Shaping Islam' (4 Years, 1.0 Fte) (# Of Pos: 4), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
This is a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for the duration of 18 months. In case of good performance and a positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 ...
Two Ph D Candidates In Algebraic Topology, Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Are you an aspiring researcher with a background in algebraic topology? Then join the Department of Mathematics as a PhD Candidate. You will carry out research in mathematics at the highest scient...
Ph D Position In Atomic Quantum Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 9 days ago
Fixed-term contract: 18 months. Our offer A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of four years (the initial contract will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory e...
Ph D White Sisters And Nursing Practices In East Africa, 1890 Present (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Organisation The University of Groningen has an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and care...
Two Ph D Candidates In Algebraic Topology, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Algebraic topology is one of the research areas of the Department of Mathematics at Radboud University. The field is represented by Dr Magdalena Kedziorek and Dr Steffen Sagave . The department ...