- Employment: 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 2,395 - € 3,061
- Faculty of Science
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Application deadline: 1 July 2021
We are looking for
The Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University is looking for a PhD candidate to develop and apply machine learning and data science methods that can help make industry more sustainable. The key idea in the project is to combine data-driven and physics-based models to build what are known as digital twins: accurate virtual representations of the actual industrial process.
You will work within the crossover research project `The heat is on'. This project focuses on maximising the application of circular heat in dewatering and drying processes. For industries like agrofood, paper industry and specialty chemicals, some 40-80% of the CO2 emissions are related to energy. Besides Radboud University, six other research institutions are involved in `The heat is on': Eindhoven University of Technology, Groningen University, Wageningen Food & Biobased Research, NIZO, Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences and Hanze University of Applied Sciences Groningen. In addition, there are 14 private partners in the project: ISPT (coordinator), FrieslandCampina, Crown Van Gelder, Eska, Mayr-Melnhof Eerbeek, Sappi, Schut Papier, Smart Packaging Solutions, Nouryon, Teijin Aramid, Blue-tec, Mobatec, VNP and KWA.
The data science group at iCIS leads the 'Sensor Networks and Data Science' work-package and contributes knowledge on scalable machine learning, with an emphasis on predictive maintenance and process optimisation and control. We are looking for a candidate who will be excited to perform collaborative research within such a large, multidisciplinary consortium and directly contribute to the reduction of emissions.
This project is furthermore linked to the Radboud Centre for Green Information Technology (under establishment). Scientists from around 20 research departments at Radboud University with expertise in IT, materials, chemistry, ecology and the environment will join forces in this centre. Together with industrial and social partners, they will work on new, sustainable IT applications and solutions for energy-efficient data use.
- A Master's degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- Good programming skills in Python or similar computer languages.
- Willingness to collaborate with researchers from different disciplines.
- Affinity with machine learning and statistics.
- A good command of spoken and written English.
You will be appointed at the Data Science section of the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (ICIS). During recent evaluations, ICIS has been consistently ranked as the No. 1 Computing Science department in the Netherlands. Evaluation committees praised our flat and open organisational structure, our ability to attract external funding, our strong ties to other disciplines, and our strong contacts with government and industrial partners. The Data Science group is well known for its research in machine learning, and is part of a unit of the European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS).
Strategically located in Europe, Radboud University is one of the leading academic communities in the Netherlands. Radboud University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities. The university offers customised facilities to better align work and private life. Parents are entitled to partly paid parental leave and Radboud University employees enjoy flexibility in the way they structure their work. The university highly values the career development of its staff, which is facilitated by a variety of programmes.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 1.0 FTE.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,061 from the fourth year (salary scale P ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract).
- The intended start date is 1 September 2021.
- Your education task may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions . They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Professor Tom Heskes
Please address your application to professor Tom Heskes and submit it, using the application button, no later than 1 July 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV including contact details of two academic references.
- List of courses and grades
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Candidate On Machine Learning For Sustainable Industry, Radboud University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
The Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University is looking for a PhD candidate to develop and apply machine learning and data science methods that can help make ...
Ph D Candidate 'Deep Learning Diagnostic And Interventional Prostate Mri Reconstruction And Steering', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 6 days ago
Radboudumc The Diagnostic Image Analysis Group ( DIAG ) is an internationally renowned group on deep learning for medical imaging. The DIAG PhDs will research deep learning models for reconstructi...
Ph D Candidate ‘Improving Recognition Of Patients With Phts’, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 11 days ago
Radboudumc The department of Human Genetics has >350 employees, distributed over three divisions: Clinical Genetic, Genome Diagnostics, and Genome Research. The department has ample experience in ...
Ph D Candidate ‘Consense – A Game Change In Continuous Biosensing’, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Radboudumc You will be part of the Laboratory of Medical Immunology at the Radboudumc in Nijmegen, which is combining clinical diagnostics with research on inflammatory and infectious diseases. Th...
Ph D Candidate 'Optimizing Radiotherapy/ Immunotherapy Treatment Of Cancer', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 5 days ago
Radboudumc At the Radiotherapy & OncoImmunology lab, part of the department of Radiation Oncology , ~ 25 researchers aim at better understanding tumor cell interactions with the immune system usin...
Two Ph D Candidates: Opportunities And Challenges In Children's Comprehension Of Multiple Digital Texts, Radboud University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Faculty of Social Sciences The Behavioural Science Institute (BSI) is a multidisciplinary research institute and one of three research institutes within the Faculty of Social Sciences at Radboud U...