9 May 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
8 Jun 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research project: The Economics and Politics of Migration
Migration is a hot topic. We offer the perfect opportunity to do research into this important topic! Migration is a defining feature of the modern world. Millions of people move across borders every year in search of better economic opportunities and/or political freedom. In Europe in particular, the integration process has led to significant migration flows. These flows have resulted in demographic and social transformations that have reshaped the continent's political and economic landscape. This has often led to positive outcomes like labour market integration and increased prosperity. However, very often we also see cases of segregation and low social mobility among migrants resulting in increased inequality in host societies.
The PhD candidate will conduct highly innovative empirical research on the interrelationship between migration and economic outcomes (such as labour market integration, inequality, and social mobility). In addition, the research will be framed in the context of EU governance and decision-making on migration policy. In
To conduct the research, the PhD candidate will have access to EU-wide micro datasets such as the European Social Survey (ESS), the EU Labour Force Survey (EU-LFS), and the EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC). Furthermore, the PhD candidate will have access to Dutch administrative data provided by Statistics Netherlands (CBS).
The position comprises the following tasks:
- Conduct innovative research on the Economics and Politics of Migration in the EU;
- Write a PhD Thesis;
- Submit research results for publication in academic journals;
- Present papers at international conferences;
- Participate in seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Actively disseminate research findings to both academic and non-academic audiences;
- Teach in the programmes of the Department of Economics;
- Follow PhD courses based on an individual training plan.
- A Master's degree in economics, public administration, political science;
- Excellent skills in quantitative research methods and writing, demonstrated by a bachelor or master thesis, single-authored course paper and/or publications;
- Experience in using statistical software (e.g. Stata, R);
- An excellent command of the English language, knowledge of the Dutch language is considered an advantage;
- Ability to work well in teams.
Terms & Conditions
We offer a stimulating and intellectually challenging work environment that fosters personal development and is determined to make a difference when it comes to key societal challenges.
- The PhD position is for 0.8-1.0 fte.
- The appointment as a PhD student will be for a period of four to five years (initially for a period of one year with an extension of three to four years after positive evaluation of progress and skills development) leading to the successful completion of a PhD thesis. The appointment will be under the terms of the cao (Collective Labour Agreement) of Dutch Universities.
- Starting date: 1st of September 2023 (some flexibility is possible).
- The (fulltime) gross yearly salary is set on €35.462 in the first year, increasing to €45.315 in the final year. This includes holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%).
- Leiden University offers excellent secondary employment conditions, including an attractive benefits package with training and career development (including, for example, language courses, teaching courses and project management courses), support from the PhD dean, and we facilitate a good work-life balance via flexible working hours and various leave arrangements. Our individual choices model also gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
- For more information on the terms and conditions of employment, click here .
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive. We therefore especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Applications for this vacancy can be submitted via the blue button of our online system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation for this position;
- A curriculum vitae;
- Your bachelor or master thesis or other major writing example;
- Copies of your academic transcripts;
- At this stage, it is not necessary to submit references or recommendation letters.
Only applications received before the 8th of June 2023 will be considered. The selection procedure will take place in June 2023.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Eduard Suari Andreu and/or Dr. Philippe van Gruisen . Information about the Department of Economics can be found here .
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Leiden
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Candidate For The Research Project "Recruitment Processes In Public Organisations", Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now Are you passionate about improving recruitment processes in public organisations? Join our research team as a PhD Candidate for the research project “Recruitment Processes in Public Orga...
Ph D Position On Instructional Technology (Virtual Reality) To Learn Global Challenges, Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now PhD Position on Instructional Technology (Virtual Reality) to Learn Global Challenges Job description The Faculty of Governance of Global Affairs and Leiden University College at Leiden ...
Funding Advisor (0,8 1,0 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now Funding advisor (0,8 – 1,0 fte) The department of research of the Leiden Law School is looking for a funding advisor. Function description As a funding advisor, you will support our rese...
Funding Advisor (0,8 1,0 Fte), AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Organisation With over 6500 students and 650 members of staff, Leiden Law School is one of the largest faculties in The Netherlands. Yet, in all its diversity, it is still known for its ability to...
Ph D Candidate In Standards For Quantum Applications In Finance (0,8 1,0 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Apply now Do you want to study international legal dynamics relating to the application of quantum technologies in financial markets? The Civil Law & Financial Law Departments of the Institute for...
Ph D Candidate In Standards For Quantum Applications In Finance , ;, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Do you want to study international legal dynamics relating to the application of quantum technologies in financial markets? The Civil Law & Financial Law Departments of the Institute for Private L...