9 May 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
8 Jun 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research project: The Economics and Politics of Migration
Migration is a hot topic. We offer the perfect opportunity to do research into this important topic! Migration is a defining feature of the modern world. Millions of people move across borders every year in search of better economic opportunities and/or political freedom. In Europe in particular, the integration process has led to significant migration flows. These flows have resulted in demographic and social transformations that have reshaped the continent's political and economic landscape. This has often led to positive outcomes like labour market integration and increased prosperity. However, very often we also see cases of segregation and low social mobility among migrants resulting in increased inequality in host societies.
The PhD candidate will conduct highly innovative empirical research on the interrelationship between migration and economic outcomes (such as labour market integration, inequality, and social mobility). In addition, the research will be framed in the context of EU governance and decision-making on migration policy. In
To conduct the research, the PhD candidate will have access to EU-wide micro datasets such as the European Social Survey (ESS), the EU Labour Force Survey (EU-LFS), and the EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions (EU-SILC). Furthermore, the PhD candidate will have access to Dutch administrative data provided by Statistics Netherlands (CBS).
The position comprises the following tasks:
- Conduct innovative research on the Economics and Politics of Migration in the EU;
- Write a PhD Thesis;
- Submit research results for publication in academic journals;
- Present papers at international conferences;
- Participate in seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Actively disseminate research findings to both academic and non-academic audiences;
- Teach in the programmes of the Department of Economics;
- Follow PhD courses based on an individual training plan.
- A Master's degree in economics, public administration, political science;
- Excellent skills in quantitative research methods and writing, demonstrated by a bachelor or master thesis, single-authored course paper and/or publications;
- Experience in using statistical software (e.g. Stata, R);
- An excellent command of the English language, knowledge of the Dutch language is considered an advantage;
- Ability to work well in teams.
Terms & Conditions
We offer a stimulating and intellectually challenging work environment that fosters personal development and is determined to make a difference when it comes to key societal challenges.
- The PhD position is for 0.8-1.0 fte.
- The appointment as a PhD student will be for a period of four to five years (initially for a period of one year with an extension of three to four years after positive evaluation of progress and skills development) leading to the successful completion of a PhD thesis. The appointment will be under the terms of the cao (Collective Labour Agreement) of Dutch Universities.
- Starting date: 1st of September 2023 (some flexibility is possible).
- The (fulltime) gross yearly salary is set on €35.462 in the first year, increasing to €45.315 in the final year. This includes holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%).
- Leiden University offers excellent secondary employment conditions, including an attractive benefits package with training and career development (including, for example, language courses, teaching courses and project management courses), support from the PhD dean, and we facilitate a good work-life balance via flexible working hours and various leave arrangements. Our individual choices model also gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
- For more information on the terms and conditions of employment, click here .
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive. We therefore especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Applications for this vacancy can be submitted via the blue button of our online system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation for this position;
- A curriculum vitae;
- Your bachelor or master thesis or other major writing example;
- Copies of your academic transcripts;
- At this stage, it is not necessary to submit references or recommendation letters.
Only applications received before the 8th of June 2023 will be considered. The selection procedure will take place in June 2023.
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.
Enquiries can be made to Dr. Eduard Suari Andreu and/or Dr. Philippe van Gruisen . Information about the Department of Economics can be found here .
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Universiteit Leiden
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position (0.8 1.0 Fte) In Cognitive Neuroscience, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now The Cognitive Psychology Unit of the Institute of Psychology at Leiden University and the Leiden Institute for Brain and Cognition (LIBC) are looking for a highly talented student for a ...
Ph D Candidate, Formal Methods In Natural Language Processing, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) are looking for a: PhD Candidate, Formal Methods in Natural Language Processing Vacancy number: 14335...
Ph D Candidate Socioeconomic Differences In Health Behavior And Everyday Goal Pursuit, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now PhD Candidate Socioeconomic differences in health behavior and everyday goal pursuit PhD Student (0.8-1.0 FTE) The Health, Medical and Neuropsychology department is looking for a PhD can...
Ph D Candidate Multi Objective Machine Learning For Fair Inspections, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS) are looking for a: PhD Candidate Multi-Objective Machine Learning for Fair Inspections Vacancy number...
Ph D In Foodshed Climate Services For Sustainable Development In Sub Saharan Africa, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Your job Are you passionate about improving the sustainability of food systems and combating the impacts of Climate Change in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)? An exciting interdisciplinary PhD opportunit...
Ph D Candidate Eff Ect: Enhancing Efficiency And Effectiveness In Education (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Print this page PhD candidate EFFEct: Enhancing Efficiency and Effectiveness in Education (1.0 FTE) Job description The Department of Sociology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences ha...