- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Maximum gross monthly salary: € 3,061
- Faculty of Science
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Duration of the contract: 4 or 5 years
- Application deadline: 7 May 2021
We are looking for
An outstanding, highly motivated PhD candidate to perform research in mathematical general relativity and in the broader context, on hyperbolic partial differential equations and geometric analysis. The project will be supervised by Dr Dejan Gajic .
We will support you through the PhD process to engage in excellent research, participate in international meetings and develop teaching skills that will equip you for a career in either academia or industry. You should be available to start the PhD by September 2021. This position has a light teaching load (10%). Upon successful completion, you will be awarded a PhD from Radboud University.
We welcome applications from candidates with an excellent academic track record and demonstrable research experience (e.g. as evidenced by a Master's thesis). Members from groups that are underrepresented in science, technology, engineering and mathematics are particularly encouraged to apply.
- You hold a Master's degree in Mathematics or Theoretical Physics, or you are on track to obtain one around the starting date of the project.
- You have experience in one or more areas relevant to this position, as evidenced by courses followed and your Master's thesis.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You are a highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical, creative and proactive individual.
- You are able to work independently as well as in a team.
The Department of Mathematics at Radboud University is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics in the Faculty of Science. Several activities are organised jointly with all the departments in the Institute to foster interdisciplinary interaction. The Department of Mathematics represents a broad range of areas, including pure and applied analysis, numerical analysis, applied stochastics, functional analysis, mathematical physics, algebraic geometry and topology, noncommutative geometry, and special functions. The Department of Mathematics has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, with a good balance between senior and young staff, as well as between Dutch and foreign researchers. There are regular research seminars as well as a number of informal events throughout the year.
The Mathematics Department currently has approximately 20 PhD candidates and is expecting to welcome even more in the next academic year. The PhD candidates at Radboud University have many opportunities for continuous development, support during the PhD and finding a job afterwards, both in academia and industry. Moreover, the PhD Organisation of Nijmegen organises educational and social activities, especially focusing on the wellbeing of PhD candidates.
Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands and students form a large part of its population. It offers plenty of events during the year, and it has the advantage of being both surrounded by nature, and close to several international airports.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 0.8 (5 year contract) -1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,061 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- The intended start date is 1 September 2021.
- Your education task may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions . They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Dejan Gajic, Assistant Professor
Please address your application to Dejan Gajic and submit it, using the application button, no later than 7 May 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV including contact details (email addresses) of two academic references (one being your Master's thesis supervisor, if applicable).
- A transcript of records of your Bachelor's and Master's degrees.
- An abstract of your Master's thesis if applicable, even if it is not yet completed.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Candidate ‘Consense – A Game Change In Continuous Biosensing’, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 2 days ago
Radboudumc You will be part of the Laboratory of Medical Immunology at the Radboudumc in Nijmegen, which is combining clinical diagnostics with research on inflammatory and infectious diseases. Th...
Ph D Candidate 'Optimizing Radiotherapy/ Immunotherapy Treatment Of Cancer', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 15 days ago
Radboudumc At the Radiotherapy & OncoImmunology lab, part of the department of Radiation Oncology , ~ 25 researchers aim at better understanding tumor cell interactions with the immune system usin...
Ph D Candidate 'Clinical Studies On Splicing Modulation Therapy For Stargardt Disease', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 15 days ago
Radboudumc The department of Ophthalmology has over 120 employees, and has 12 sub specialisms, all at an academic level. Diagnosis and treatment of retinal diseases are an important part of the pa...
Ph D Candidate (Pre)Clinical In Vivo Research Within The Project 'Understanding Liver Treatment To Improve Microsphere Optimal Distribution (Ultimo)', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 2 days ago
Radboudumc The Department of Medical Imaging of the Radboudumc Nijmegen is headed by Prof. Dr. Mathias Prokop. The Radboudumc is an academic center with focus on research, education and patient ca...
Two Ph D Candidates In Soil Biology, Radboud University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Fixed-term contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 y...
Sibling Ph D Positions On Cooperation In The Face Of Inequality (2.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 22 hours ago
Organisation Since its founding in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education, offering high-quality teaching ...