- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,541 - € 3,247
- Required background
- Research University Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Science
- Application deadline
- 08 January 2023
Are you fascinated by advancing semiconductor technology through the implementation of novel materials and processing approaches? Do you like to apply your knowledge and skills to experimentally study material properties and component processing procedures to enhance component/electronic circuit lifetimes? If so, you have a part to play! Radboud University is looking for a PhD Candidate in Materials Science.
Your research project will be an integral part of the NWO perspective Circular Circuits programme. This programme aims to overcome technical, economic and societal bottlenecks for lifetime extension, reuse, repair, refurbishment and recycling through the development of a new generation of electronic components, product-service design and advanced recycling technology. Circular innovations will result in an elimination of the concept of e-waste and to substantial savings of (critical) raw materials and energy. The programme is executed by a large consortium of academic research groups and associated industrial partners.
With the ambition to design extremely robust or fully reusable or recyclable microelectronics, a switch in materials and design used is foreseen in the production of semiconductor devices. An important challenge is imposed by the ongoing EU legislation restricting the use of hazardous materials, such as Pb, which urges the exploration and implementation of alternative materials and processes. Such a switch in materials/design will have a direct impact on the durability of the product. Understanding the processes in current microelectronics using models and measurements can help to assess the impact on the major damage originating processes, allowing fast development of new materials and processes for future microelectronic products.
Your tasks will be (i) to prepare samples/devices based on novel metallisation schemes and component integration approaches under controlled cleanroom conditions, (ii) to perform accelerated life-time testing and assessment of sample/device degradation utilising various techniques for material analysis and dedicated equipment for device performance analysis, and (iii) to determine and optimise the most promising metallisation/integration approach to extent the integrated component lifetime to the same level or beyond that of the previous non-sustainable technology. Furthermore you will be involved in training and teaching BSc and MSc students (up to 10% of your working time).
- You hold an MSc degree in Chemistry, Physics or Materials Science.
- You have good experimental skills and are creative in finding solutions that forward your research.
- You have a good command of written and spoken English.
- You have good communication skills and are able to operate in a dynamic international research network of academic and industrial research groups.
- It is an advantage if you have experience in producing semi-conductor device structures using techniques such as e-beam evaporation and photo-lithography in a cleanroom environment.
- It is also an advantage if you have experience in the use of microscopic techniques (DICM, SEM, TEM) and/or spectroscopic techniques (PL, XRD) for the analysis of semiconductor structures.
Your research project is part of the Dutch Circular Circuits programme (link is external) in which a consortium of academic research groups cooperate with industry to eliminate the concept of e-waste. You will be based in the Applied Materials Science research group, which is part of the Institute for Molecules and Materials at Radboud University. Your research will be conducted in close cooperation with semi-conductor companies such as Nexperia and NXP located at the nearby Novio Tech Campus (link is external) .
The research group of Applied Materials Science focuses on the development of high-efficiency, thin-film devices and semiconductor wafer reuse technologies. Evidenced by multiple officially acknowledged world records in photovoltaic (PV) device performance, AMS has a worldwide leading position in the development of new opto-electronic semiconductor devices. For the utilisation of its research results, AMS closely cooperates with industrial partners that aim to apply these novel devices. In addition, AMS forwarded four start-up companies in PV device analysis, production and application.
The Institute for Molecules and Materials (IMM) is an interdisciplinary research institute in chemistry and physics at the Faculty of Science of Radboud University. IMM focuses on fundamental research to understand, design and control the functioning of molecules and materials. You will have the opportunity to participate in institute-wide activities and further develop yourself both scientifically and professionally through a large variety of courses and training opportunities. Radboud University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 (5 year contract) - 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,541 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,247 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact John Schermer, Associate Professor of Applied Materials Science at +31 24 365 34 36 or email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 8 January 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to John Schermer. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 08 January 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Schermer, J.J. (John)
Associate Professor of Applied Materials Science
firstname.lastname@example.org +31 24 365 34 36
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 21 November 2022
Share this page
Ph D Candidate 'Cancer Associated Fibroblasts As Key Players In The Tumor Microenvironment Affecting Radio And Immunotherapy Response', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 1 day ago
PhD candidate 'Cancer associated fibroblasts as key players in the tumor microenvironment affecting radio- and immunotherapy response' PhD candidate 'Cancer associated fibroblasts as key players i...
Interdisciplinary Ph D: Strengthening The Conditions Of Irregularized Migrants, Radboud University, Netherlands, 23 days ago
Interdisciplinary PhD: Strengthening the Conditions of Irregularized Migrants Interdisciplinary PhD: Strengthening the Conditions of Irregularized Migrants Published Deadline Location yesterday 6 ...
Ph D Candidate 'Electrophysiological Characterization Of Human I Psc Derived Neuronal Models For Neurodevelopmental Disorders (Brai Nmodel)', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD candidate 'Electrophysiological characterization of human iPSC-derived neuronal models for neurodevelopmental disorders (BRAINmodel)' PhD candidate 'Electrophysiological characterization of hu...
Ph D In Ai Driven Calibration Of Analog To Digital Converters, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 28 days ago
PhD in AI-driven calibration of Analog-to-Digital converters PhD in AI-driven calibration of Analog-to-Digital converters Published Deadline Location yesterday 28 Feb Eindhoven Job description In ...
Ph D In Ai Driven Calibration Of Analog To Digital Converters, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6232 Job description In the last 40 years, the systematic downscaling of CMOS Integrated Circuit (IC) technologi...
Ph D Position In Referential Communication At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD Position in Referential Communication at the Donders Centre for Cognition PhD Position in Referential Communication at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published Deadline Location today 30 Jan...