- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 2,434 - € 3,111
- Faculty of Science
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Application deadline: 15 August 2021
We are looking for
Are you fascinated with the creation of our universe? As a PhD Candidate, you will contribute towards creating an image of the universe when it was only a second old. You will do this by developing and performing experiments for particle detection using graphene-based field effect transistors, and studying the electronic properties of tritinated graphene. This way, your research helps build a tritium-based neutrino detector.
A PhD candidate in the context of the Dutch Science Agenda project "One second after the big bang". You will develop and perform experiments for particle detection using graphene-based field effect transistors and you will study the electronic properties of tritinated graphene. The final long-term aim of this project is building a tritium-based neutrino detector in collaboration with the Ptolemy project in Gran Sasso, Italy. You will work in an interdisciplinary collaboration between the departments of High Energy Physics (Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics) and Semiconductors and Nanostructures (HFML-FELIX) and you will be embedded in a large collaborative network.
As part of your PhD training, you will perform duties as a teaching assistant in our Physics and Astronomy educational programme, supervising BSc and MSc students within the context of your project, and you will help set up a graphene FET lab in collaboration with the Hague University of Applied Sciences.
- An MSc degree in experimental physics.
- A background in either solid-state electronics or particle detection or another related and relevant subject area.
- Advanced programming skills and a good knowledge of electronic measurement techniques and data acquisition are a plus.
- A strong science-driven curiosity.
- You should be highly motivated to work in an interdisciplinary environment and have affinity with fundamental research.
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English.
The High Energy Physics department of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP) consists of 15 staff scientists and 30 PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers performing cutting-edge theoretical and experimental research in particle physics and gravity. In addition to the Ptolemy project, we participate in the ATLAS experiment at CERN, Pierre Auger in Argentina, DUNE in the United States and GRAND in China. Radboud University is one of the founding partners of Nikhef, the national institute for subatomic physics in the Netherlands, so we maintain a close cooperative relationship with Nikhef members.
HFML-FELIX is a large-scale research infrastructure and its in-house research programmes are centred in chemistry and physics, fostering interdisciplinary research. HFML-FELIX's mission is to develop and operate the world's highest magnetic fields and intense infrared and terahertz radiation, enabling both external and in-house user groups to carry out pioneering scientific research. HFML-FELIX currently comprises six research groups covering a broad research portfolio ranging from condensed matter science to biomolecular chemistry. In addition, HFML-FELIX has a strong programme in magnet technology and free-electron laser technology. HFML-FELIX is run jointly by Radboud University (RU) and the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I). Its research programme is embedded in the Faculty of Science of RU and is carried out in close collaboration with the Faculty's Institute for Molecules and Materials (IMM).
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 0.8 (5 year contract) - 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,434 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,111 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- Your teaching load may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- The intended start date is 1 October 2021.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
prof. dr. Nicolo de Groot, Professor
prof. dr. Uli Zeitler, Professor
Please address your application to prof. dr. Nicolo de Groot and submit it, using the application button, no later than 15 August 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation.
- CV including the names and contact details of at least two references.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Position In Experimental Particle Physics, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
We are looking for an enthusiastic PhD student who will search for new physics beyond the Standard Model, by investigating the electroweak symmetry breaking mechanism through a precise characteriz...
Two Ph D Positions In Aquatic Ecology, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Requirements We are seeking two enthusiastic, highly motivated candidate ecologists with a strong and proven interest in aquatic ecology and/or ecosystems ecology. You should have an MSc degree (o...
Ph D Candidate For Safe And Sustainable By Design For Chemicals, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Due to the joint nature of this project you will spend equal parts of your PhD at Radboud University in Nijmegen, Netherlands (1st and 4th years) and the EU Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Ispra, I...
Ph D Position In Experimental Particle Physics, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Faculty of Science – Institute of Physics The Faculty of Science has a student body of around 7,000, as well as 1,600 members of staff working in education, research or support services. Research...
Ph D Candidate In Sensorimotor Neuroscience, Radboud University, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Benefits Employment for 1.0 FTE. The gross starting salary amounts to €2,434 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,111 in the fourth year (salary scale P ). You will b...
Ph D Candidate/ Junior Researcher In The History Of Philosophy And Science , Radboud University Nijmegen ;, Netherlands, 9 days ago
Job description Are you fascinated by history, religion, philosophy, and science? Then you have a part to play as a PhD Candidate / Junior Researcher. You will examine the institutional Catholic C...