The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs is looking for a
PhD candidate in Crisis Governance
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) at Leiden University seeks to appoint a full-time PhD candidate to carry out research (75%) and teaching (25%) activities on Crisis Management from an organizational and political perspective, with particular emphasis on comparative research regarding the COVID-19 response (the topic of the PhD research proposal to be implemented). The Covid-19 crisis offers us a unique opportunity for comparative crisis governance research, with countries world-wide facing the same threat for a prolonged period of time under similar conditions of uncertainty and urgency. This PhD project seeks to answer the following research question, in either a series of peer reviewed articles or a monograph (book): How do leaders design and adjust their country’s response strategy while facing deep uncertainty, and how do their choices relate to the effectiveness and legitimacy of the Covid-19 response? The country studies can be done by the PhD candidate individually or in close cooperation with colleagues from within ISGA, or in our wider crisis research network (covering also Belgium, Canada, China, Italy, Sweden, the UK, and the US). The project can start with a detailed analysis of the Netherlands as a country of reference, comparing its crisis management strategy to other countries.
The PhD candidate will be supervised by Dr. Arjen Boin, promotor (Institute of Political Science, Leiden University) Dr. Sanneke Kuipers (ISGA) and Dr. Jeroen Wolbers (ISGA). The candidate will perform the research and teaching at the Institute of Security and Global Affairs. Education activities and assistance will serve the Crisis Governance specialization track in the master program Crisis and Security Management under the coordination of Dr. Kuipers.
- Conduct research in the field of Crisis Management, with a particular emphasis on sense making and decision making in coordination and response to the COVID-19 crisis;
- Obtain a PhD by publishing a monograph or four articles in leading journals on security and global affairs within a four-year timeframe;
- Support the education activities of the Crisis Governance specialization in the master Crisis and Security Management, including lecturing, marking, and providing feedback to students.
- Develop teaching-related skills by (co-)teaching courses and obtaining the basic teaching qualification (BKO);
- Present their work to both academic and professional audiences;
- Contribute when applicable to the Dutch or international public debate on crisis management and emergency response;
- Be able to work in a highly independent, organized and result-oriented fashion;
- Demonstrate good time-management skills;
- Build an (inter)national network that spans both academics and policymakers/practitioners working on topics related to crisis research;
- Actively participate in discussions at the Institute, the research group Crisis Governance and the master programme CSM on research and teaching innovation;
- Follow PhD courses based on an individual training and supervision plan.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Organization Studies, Policy Studies, Public Health Policy and Management, Organization Sociology or another field with direct relevance for the interdisciplinary research carried out within the field of crisis management;
- Demonstrable ability and enthusiasm for research at the intersection of conceptual and policy-oriented research (e.g. high grade for Master’s thesis, publications and evidence of policy-oriented research) in the field of crisis governance, from an organizational perspective;
- Excellent command of English;
- Command of the Dutch language is not a requirement but an advantage due to the analysis of the Netherlands as a country of reference, comparing its crisis management strategy to other countries;
- Teaching experience is not a requirement, but is considered an advantage.
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (FGGA) offers academic education in the field of Public Administration, Safety and Security, and International Relations, as well as in-depth post-academic programmes for professionals. In addition, the Faculty is also home to Leiden University College. For more information about the Faculty , see the website.
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) is a scientific institute that focuses on multidisciplinary research and education within the international field of security studies. ISGA operates from The Hague, centre of national and international governance and City of Peace, Justice and Security.
The PhD candidate will support education activities within the Master Crisis and Security management, specialization track Crisis Governance .
Terms and conditions
The appointment as a PhD candidate will be for a period of four years. Initially for a period of one year with an extension of three years after positive evaluation of progress and skills development, leading to the successful completion of a PhD thesis. The position is envisaged to commence in July 2021. The gross monthly salary is set on € 2.395,- in the first year, increasing to € 3.061,- gross per month in the final year in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information , see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Sanneke Kuipers, email email@example.com .
Please submit online your application no later than 23 April 2021 via the blue button in our application system. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format, quoting the vacancy number:
- Motivation letter;
- Grade list from previous education programmes followed and completed;
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications;
- A sample publication (MA Thesis or other publication if applicable);
- The names and contact details of three potential referees (no actual recommendation letters required at this stage).
Enquiries from agencies are not appreciated.
Phd Candidate In The Field Of Intelligence And Security , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
The Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs is looking for a PhD candidate in the field of Intelligence and Security with an emphasis on the...
Ph D Candidate Biology Of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells, Leiden University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Leiden University The Faculty of Science is a world-class faculty where staff and students work together in a dynamic international environment. It is a faculty where personal and academic develop...
Ph D Candidate In Political Communication, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 21 days ago
This is NTNU At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students. We are looking for dedicated employees to join us. You will find more...
Ph D Decision Making For Reliable Supply Chains, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
The success of critical operations depends on the rapid availability of essential supplies anywhere in the world. Even in the face of changing requirements and demands, processes and procedures mu...
Ph D Candidate In The Field Of Intelligence And Security, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
We offer a PhD position for 4 years (1.0 FTE, 38 hrs per week), leading to the successful completion of a PhD thesis. Initially you will receive a one-year contract, with extension for the followi...
Ph D Candidate Biology Of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells, Leiden University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
We offer a full-time, one year term position, with the possibility of renewal for an additional 3 years based on performance. Salary range from € 2.395,- to € 3.061,- gross per month (fulltime, pa...