- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 2,434 - € 3,111
- Faculty of Science
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Application deadline: 15 October 2021
Do you want to conduct top-notch research and bridge the gap between theory and application regarding software analysis? As a PhD Candidate, you will focus on developing faster and more scalable techniques for the formal analysis of safety-critical systems. Join a diverse environment where you can focus on how research contributes to solving real-world problems and willingness to learn is valued.
Your main responsibilities as a PhD candidate will be to conduct cutting-edge research. We expect that this research leads to the development of faster and more scalable techniques for the formal analysis of safety-critical systems that operate based on limited information about their environment.
In particular, we aim to develop novel algorithms for the analysis of (extensions of) Markov Decision Processes and Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes, motivated by a series of applications in the dependability and security domains. The project allows to freely explore connections between runtime verification, model checking, automata learning, planning and reinforcement learning, depending of the joint interests of you and the principal investigator.
- You hold an MSc or equivalent degree in computer science, mathematics or a closely related field.
- You are able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- You are proficient in English. Dutch is not required.
- You are able to program in C++ or Python.
- While previous knowledge in model checking, Markov decision processes or automata theory, as well as programming skills in C++ or Python are beneficial, the willingness to learn and extend your knowledge in these areas is more important.
The position is available in the Software Science group of the Institute for Computing and Information Sciences (iCIS) at Radboud University. Our mission is to do top research on the use of models for design and analysis of software, bridging the gap between theory and applications. We offer joining a fun and diverse group that maintains a range of international cooperations. In 2021, we published our research in top conferences such as CAV, TACAS, (formal methods) AAAI (artificial intelligence) and RSS (robotics). Furthermore, our group actively contributes to the development of the state-of-the-art probabilistic model checker Storm.
The Faculty of Science is a complete science faculty where research and education are closely related. The faculty aims to be an academic community with an international character, where staff members from different backgrounds combine their talents with the common goal of being a leading faculty of science in Europe. Radboud University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such encourages applications from women and minorities. The university offers customised facilities to better align work and private life. Parents are entitled to partly paid parental leave and RU employees enjoy flexibility in the way they structure their work. The university highly values the career development of its staff, which is facilitated by a variety of programmes.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0,8 (5 year contract) -1,0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,061 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Sebastian Junges, Assistant Professor at +31 6 42 51 32 33 or email@example.com .
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 15 October 2021, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Sebastian Junges. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- Letter of motivation.
- Transcript of grades.
- Master's thesis, if available.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Candidate: The Predictive Validity Of Language Testing For University First Year Students, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Are you an aspiring researcher, committed to producing knowledge with a significant scientific and social impact? As a PhD student, you will conduct research on the effects of language tests on th...
Ph D Candidate In Anaerobic Microbiology, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Fixed-term contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 y...
Ph D Candidate 'Human I Psc Neuronal Platform For Neurodevelopmental Disorders', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Radboudumc The research project will be based at the department of Human Genetics . We provide a stimulating work environment within a group of enthusiastic clinical and non-clinical researchers w...
Junior Lecturer / Ph D Candidate In Clinical Psychology, Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
The School of Psychology and Behavioural Science Institute (BSI ) at Radboud University are looking for a Junior Lecturer/PhD Candidate in Clinical Psychology. As a Junior Lecturer/PhD Candidate y...
Ph D Position 'Resilience Of Biodiversity', Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment . A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include: paid parental leave; working hours that can be discussed and ...
Ph D Position On 'Being A Responsible Engineer: Embedding Pedagogies For Deep Learning In Higher Education', Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 14 days ago
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment . A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include: sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental le...