- 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,541 - € 3,247
- Required background
- Research University Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Application deadline
- 31 December 2022
We are looking for a PhD candidate with a strong interest in the cognitive neuroscience of somatosensory perception. The overall goal of the project is to understand the neuroscience of gargalesis (tickle) perception in humans. By combining haptics, psychophysics, neuroimaging, brain stimulation, and statistical modelling, the project will test specific hypotheses regarding the perceptual and neural characterisation of gargalesis sensations.
You will be involved in designing behavioural and fMRI experiments including psychophysical, physiological and behavioural recordings. You will also be involved in the collection and, most notably, analysis of psychophysical, physiological, behavioural and fMRI data.
You will be embedded in the research group of Konstantina Kilteni at the Donders Institute's Centre for Cognition. You will be expected to have the background knowledge, skills and motivation that will allow you to fully utilise and learn from the rich research environment that the Donders Institute provides (including its intellectual and technical infrastructure).
You are motivated to develop into an independent scholar and scientist of the brain mechanisms of human somatosensation, who will be ready to acquire the skills required for conducting all phases of research, including literature review, conceptual and experimental design, coordination of study logistics, data collection, data analysis, and data interpretation and publication. You will also be expected to be a team player, working closely with multiple research group leaders, postdoctoral fellows, PhD candidates, research assistants, and Research Master's students.
- You should hold, or be about to obtain, a Research Master's degree in the field of neuroscience, psychology, cognitive science, biomedical sciences, or a related field.
- You have skills and documented experience in collecting and analysing psychophysical, physiological and behavioural data.
- You have experience with, or are interested in, collecting and analysing fMRI data, including the use of MVPA methods.
- You have experience with, or are interested in, statistical modelling.
- You have a passion for research on the interface between neuroimaging, psychology, and cognitive science. You are curious, ambitious, and are able to work independently.
- You have strong communication and coordination skills.
- You are fluent in spoken and written English at an academic level. Proficiency in Dutch is not required for this position.
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour is a world-class interfaculty research centre that houses more than 700 researchers devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of the human mind. Research at the Donders Institute is focused around four themes: 1. Language and communication , 2. Perception, action and control , 3. Plasticity and memory , 4. Neural computation and neurotechnology . Excellent, state-of-the-art research facilities are available for the broad range of neuroscience research that is being conducted at the Donders Institute. The Donders Institute has been assessed by an international evaluation committee as 'excellent' and recognised as a 'very stimulating environment for top researchers, as well as for young talent'. The Donders Institute fosters a collaborative, multidisciplinary, supportive research environment with a diverse international staff. English is the lingua franca at the Institute.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,541 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,247 in the fourth year (salary scale P ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Konstantina Kilteni, Senior Researcher at firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, you can contact Pieter Medendorp, Principal Investigator at email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 31 December 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Konstantina Kilteni. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV, including the date of the Master's thesis defence, title of the Master's thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, committee work, and the contact details of three referees.
- A complete list of your publications.
- A summary of your current research interests and goals for the future (no more than two pages).
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 31 December 2022
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 25 November 2022
Share this page
Ph D Candidate 'Cancer Associated Fibroblasts As Key Players In The Tumor Microenvironment Affecting Radio And Immunotherapy Response', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 1 day ago
PhD candidate 'Cancer associated fibroblasts as key players in the tumor microenvironment affecting radio- and immunotherapy response' PhD candidate 'Cancer associated fibroblasts as key players i...
Ph D Position In Referential Communication At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD Position in Referential Communication at the Donders Centre for Cognition PhD Position in Referential Communication at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published Deadline Location today 30 Jan...
Ph D Candidate 'Electrophysiological Characterization Of Human I Psc Derived Neuronal Models For Neurodevelopmental Disorders (Brai Nmodel)', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD candidate 'Electrophysiological characterization of human iPSC-derived neuronal models for neurodevelopmental disorders (BRAINmodel)' PhD candidate 'Electrophysiological characterization of hu...
Ph D In Ai Driven Calibration Of Analog To Digital Converters, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 28 days ago
PhD in AI-driven calibration of Analog-to-Digital converters PhD in AI-driven calibration of Analog-to-Digital converters Published Deadline Location yesterday 28 Feb Eindhoven Job description In ...
Ph D In Ai Driven Calibration Of Analog To Digital Converters, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.6232 Job description In the last 40 years, the systematic downscaling of CMOS Integrated Circuit (IC) technologi...
Ph D Position On Machine Learning Assisted Calibration For Data Converters, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 28 days ago
PhD position on Machine Learning assisted calibration for data converters PhD position on Machine Learning assisted calibration for data converters Published Deadline Location yesterday 28 Feb Ein...