- 40 hours per week
- Maximum gross monthly salary: € 2,972
- Faculty of Arts
- Job level: Research University Degree
- Duration of the contract: 4 years
- Application deadline: 9 January 2020
We are looking for
As a PhD candidate you will be responsible for one of the five subprojects of the NWO-funded VICI project entitled 'Source of Life: Water Management in the Premodern Middle East (7th-15th Century)'. This project studies the interrelationship between water installations, governance, and legal and cultural frameworks in five Middle Eastern cities (Basra, Baghdad, Mosul, Damascus and Cairo) from the first Arab conquests to Ottoman rule (7th-15th c.). By integrating both written and material sources and employing a comparative approach, it seeks to: 1) map the institutional fabric of premodern Middle Eastern cities by taking water as a key service; and 2) identify incentives for institutional innovation in premodern urban water governance. Amore detailed description of the project can be found here .
Subproject 1 Cairo and the role of the waqf
Your PhD research, which is to result in a doctoral dissertation, will map, analyse and compare the diverse water supply institutions in Cairo. The literary sources to be analysed include histories, geographies, legal manuals, travelogues, and manuals for market inspectors. Since, for Cairo, also a unique set of sources is available, describing the workings of a particular Islamic institution (waqf or religious endowment) contributing to the urban water supply, this project specifically focuses on this institution and analyses the varying roles of centralised/decentralised, top-down/bottom-up and informal/formal processes in the functioning of the waqf. In addition, subproject 1 will analyse the incentives for the introduction of the waqf for the urban water provision of Cairo (11th-12th c.) and how it reached maturity under the Mamluk sultans of Egypt (12th-15th c.).
You will contribute research results to the project's database. Your findings will be presented in a dissertation, as well as in several (co-authored) conference papers and book chapters. You are also expected to contribute to wider communication of the project's results. Furthermore, you will cooperate closely with all other subprojects and participate in the project's programme of meetings as a speaker and organiser.
- A completed Research Masters degree in Arabic Languages and Cultures, History or a relevant field.
- Command of (classical) Arabic and demonstrable expertise in historical research on the premodern Middle East.
- Demonstrable strong affinity with scientific research.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English.
- A strong willingness to work collaboratively in an international research team.
- Willingness to travel regularly for research and attend conferences.
The Faculty of Arts employs over 500 academic and support staff in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics and communication. Research is embedded in one of the two faculty research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) or Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (HLCS). The faculty currently enrolls some 2,400 students, in three departments: the department of History, Art History and Classics, the department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the department of Language and Communication. We want to be a diverse and inclusive organisation, which is why we endeavour to create a culturally diverse staff.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent and collaboration. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 40 hours per week.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,325 per month, and will increase to €2,972 in the fourth year (p scale).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: You will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years.
- The intended start date is 1 May 2020.
- You will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service : our Dual Career Officer will assist with family-related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
- Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions ?
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. Dr. Maaike van Berkel, Full Professor of Medieval History
Tel.: +3124 361 57 14
Please address your application to Prof. Dr. Maaike van Berkel and submit it, using the application button, no later than 9 January 2020, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- Motivation letter.
- CV with the contact details of two referees.
- Research proposal of max. 1,000 words (excluding bibliography), addressing your research interests and intended focus in the subproject. A more detailed description of the overall aims of the VICI project can be found here .
- Full transcript of grades obtained during BA and MA studies.
The first round of interviews will take place on 30 January 2020.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Manager, Partnerships, Center Of Excellence For Water (Grant Position), American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to:Technical Advisor, Center of Excellence for Water Purpose:The job holder will provide a sustainable framework for the day-to-day operations of the project’s partnership activities. He/s...
Ph D Candidate Within Water And Environmental Engineering For Smart Cities, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 18 hours ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a PhD position related to this topic: Optimization of drinking water treatment plants through digital twins Today’s operation and maintenance of water trea...
Office Assistant Center Of Excellence For Water (Grant Position), American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to:Executive Assistant to COP, Center of Excellence for Water Purpose:The job holder will provide administrative support and clerical services to the center of Excellence for Water. Princi...
Officer, Policy The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (Grant Position), American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to:Senior Officer, Policy - The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab Purpose:The J-PAL/AUC Initiative for Egypt is a joint collaboration between J-PAL and AUC to develop and carry out pol...
Manager, Policy The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (Grant Position), American University in Cairo, Egypt, 5 days ago
Reports to: Director, The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab Purpose:The J-PAL/AUC initiative for Egypt is a joint collaboration between J-PAL and AUC to develop and carry out policy-relevant r...
Postdoctoral Scholar Position In Environmental Antibiotic Resistance (Microbial Ecology / Metagenomics), ETH, Switzerland, 18 days ago
Job Type / Workload Academic: Post Doc Position / Senior Scientist 100% Workload 0 weekly jours Industry Energy- / Water Economics Functional Area Research & Development Salary 0 / Entry date Janu...