Are you passionate about improving recruitment processes in public organisations? Join our research team as a PhD Candidate for the research project “Recruitment Processes in Public Organisations.” This project offers a unique opportunity to investigate the various steps involved in recruitment, contributing to both theory and practice in public management, human resource management, and social and organisational psychology. The PhD Candidate will conduct research on contemporary recruitment practices in public organizations.
The Institute of Public Administration at Leiden University is looking for a
PhD Candidate for the research project “Recruitment Processes in Public Organisations”
Recruitment constitutes a crucial element in ensuring high-quality public services. Yet, given increasing competition in labour markets, attracting and selecting employees becomes more difficult for public organisations. A key question is whether public organisations can successfully improve recruitment processes. The research project adopts a holistic perspective on recruiting processes and focuses on different actors (i.e., applicants, recruiters, and organisations) and aims to integrate human resource management and social and organisational psychology insights into public administration research and practice.
The Institute of Public Administration seeks to recruit a PhD Candidate to contribute to the research project “Recruitment Processes in Public Organisations.” The focus of the PhD research project is to provide further theoretical and practical understanding of different steps relevant along the recruiting process in public organisations (different steps include: the definition of objectives, strategy development, recruitment activities, and recruitment outcomes). The research project combines an internal perspective on organisations, recruiters, and employees with an external view on labour markets and potential applicants.
Tasks and responsibilities
The PhD candidate is expected
- To design and implement scientific research on recruitment processes in public organisations. In line with the broader project, the research methodology will consist of an initial literature review, followed by quantitative and qualitative projects.
- To disseminate research findings by publishing scientific articles in international peer-reviewed journals and presenting research at academic conferences.
- To communicate scientific findings to evidence for practice, for instance through publications in practitioner-oriented journals or websites, the development of trainings and/or interventions for practice, and participation in practice-oriented debates about public management and decision-making.
- To participate in and support the research and dissemination activities of the broader research project.
- To take part in relevant disciplinary and/or research methods courses, based on an individual training and supervision plan (approximately 10% of the appointment).
- To contribute to the teaching programs of the Institute of Public Administration (approximately 10% of the appointment), with the opportunity to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (BKO).
- A (research) master’s degree in social sciences with excellent study results. Applicants should have a background in either public administration and/or public management, business administration or management, organisational sciences, (organisational) psychology, sociology, political science, public policy, or economics. Students who will obtain their master’s degree before the start date of 1 January 2024 are encouraged to apply;
- Experience with quantitative methods and an interest in conducting quantitative research designs (e.g., surveys, survey experiments, field experiments);
- Experience with qualitative methods and an interest in qualitative research designs (e.g., interviews, focus groups, or document analysis);
- Interest in and affinity with communicating scientific insights to practice;
- Excellent spoken and written proficiency in English. Proficiency in Dutch can be considered an asset, yet international candidates are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Experience with software for statistical analysis (for instance R/Rstudio, Stata) and survey research (for instance Qualtrics);
- The capacity to work both independently as well as collaboratively with the project team.
The Faculty and Institute
Science for and about society is the domain of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs (FGGA). FGGA is one of the seven faculties of Leiden University and is based in The Hague. It provides high-quality interdisciplinary education and research on social and governance issues such as terrorism, organization and functioning of public administration, climate change and economic crises. Because social issues are not bound by the boundaries of scientific disciplines, these themes are approached from various public administration, political science, economic, legal, and sociological perspectives. The faculty is a young, enterprising, and innovative organization that is growing rapidly. It has three scientific institutes, several centers, 3,500 students and 330 staff members.
The Institute of Public Administration, which is part of FGGA, is one of the largest and oldest institutes of academic research and teaching in the field of public administration in the Netherlands. The institute combines a solid international academic reputation with a central positioning among the international, national, regional, and local governance institutions of The Hague. The institute has an international profile and gets high peer reviewed ratings, both for its research and education. It offers a Dutch Bachelor of Public Administration, a Dutch Master Management of the Public Sector and the English Master programs Public Administration and Governance of Sustainability. Based on the strong academic disciplinary approach, the institute collaborates with other institutes and faculties of Leiden University on interdisciplinary research and education programs. It employs around 90 people and provides education to 1,200 students. The successful candidate will be a member of the research group on Public Management and Leadership.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time appointment of initially one year. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the research, teaching evaluations, personal capabilities and compatibility, the appointment will be extended for another three years. Salary range starts from 2,770 euro gross per month up to 3,539 euro gross per month (pay scale P in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career program. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information: Job application procedure and employment conditions .
Diversity and inclusion are core values of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research.
More information on the project is available at https://sites.google.com/view/martin-sievert/projects/public-sector-recruiting . For more information about this vacancy, please contact dr. Martin Sievert (email@example.com ) or dr. Petra van den Bekerom (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Please submit online your application no later than October 11 via the blue button in our application system.
Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format, quoting the vacancy number:
- Motivation letter;
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications;
- Grade list from previous education programs followed and completed;
- A recent writing sample (for instance a research paper, article, or thesis)
- The names and contact details of three potential referees (no actual recommendation letters required at this stage).
Inquiries from agencies are not appreciated.
Ph D Candidate For Exposomics Approaches To Understand The Impact Of Environment On Health, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
PhD candidate for Exposomics approaches to understand the impact of environment on health PhD candidate for Exposomics approaches to understand the impact of environment on health Published Deadli...
Ph D Arithmetic Geometry, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
PhD Arithmetic Geometry PhD Arithmetic Geometry Published Deadline Location today 22 Dec Leiden PhD positions in arithmatic geometry Job description Job description The research consortium “Ration...
Ph D Student Vacancy 'Light And Noise Pollution Effects On Migratory Fish', AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
PhD-student vacancy 'Light and noise pollution effects on migratory fish' PhD-student vacancy 'Light and noise pollution effects on migratory fish' Published Deadline Location today 30 Nov Leiden ...
Ph D Candidate Related To Urban Biodiversity, Species Traits, And Human Well Being Linkages, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
PhD candidate related to urban biodiversity, species traits, and human well-being linkages PhD candidate related to urban biodiversity, species traits, and human well-being linkages Published Dead...
Ph D Student Vacancy 'Light And Noise Pollution Effects On Migratory Fish', Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
31 Oct 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Leiden University Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 30 Nov 2023 - 22:5...
Ph D Arithmetic Geometry, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
31 Oct 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Leiden University Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 22 Dec 2023 - 22:5...