The PhD project will focus on three research areas: (1) exploring the occurrence of greenwashing done by greenfluencers, (2) gaining insights into the susceptibility of followers to these claims using theories on parasocial experiences, and (3) developing and validating an intervention strategy. A multi-method approach including content analysis and experimental research will be used to investigate these questions. The project will both have scientific and societal impact, with outreach to interested stakeholders within and outside academia to disseminate the research conclusions. The PhD candidate is expected to also contribute to such outreach activities.
The full description of the project is available upon request. Please e-mail Priska Breves for more information: email@example.com
What are you going to do
You will be working on the overarching research question: How often do social media influencers use greenwashing in their sponsored content and how does it impact their followers?
Specifically, the hired PhD candidate will study the severity of the issue as well as followers’ susceptibility and will consequently develop an intervention strategy. The project can be divided into three phases:
- Develop, conduct, and publish research on greenwashing distributed by influencers on social media. Complete a PhD dissertation consisting of research articles within the appointment period;
- Contribute to the public debate and organize outreach activities of the project;
- Contribute to the overall project in terms of events, research meetings, activities;
- Collaborate with other researchers involved in this or similar projects (e.g., other PhD candidates, postdocs, international colleagues);
- Present your work at national and international conferences;
- Contribute to the vibrant academic life in Amsterdam by attending workshops, meetings, and lectures;
- Contribute to teaching activities at Bachelor’s level for up to 15% of your time.
What do you have to offer
The candidate for this position has a (research) master’s degree in communication science, marketing, media studies, or closely related social or behavioural science field. The candidate has a strong affinity with the topic, excels in research methods, and enjoys working together in a team.
Your experience and profile:
- a (Research) Master’s degree in Communication Science, Psychology or a related field, or will obtain this degree before the start of the project;
- a strong interest in and preferably knowledge of the topic of social media (influencer) and/or greenwashing, and can ideally demonstrate this with demonstrable knowledge on this topic (e.g., study assignments, MA thesis)
- a firm basis in and ideally experience with research methods and data analysis, in particular: content analysis (manual and/or automated), experimentation, and open science principles;
- preferably experience with the collection of social-media data, for instance via APIs and/or web scraping;
- strongly committed to methodological rigor and scientific integrity;
- curious and eager to learn new skills, theoretical perspectives and practical issues;
- excellent spoken and written command of English (as you will write an English-language dissertation and present at international conferences); being able to speak and write in Dutch is desirable but not essential;
- excellent social and organizational skills;
- eager to contribute to the scientific field;
- motivated to share your knowledge with academic and non-academic audiences;
- able to work in a team.
What do we offer you
The starting date is flexible but February 1st, 2024, at the latest. The position concerns temporary employment of 1.0 fte (38 hours per week) for a maximum term of 4 years. The initial employment is for one year. Following a positive assessment and barring altered circumstances, this term will be extended by a maximum of 36 months, which should result in the conferral of a doctorate. We will put together a curriculum which will also include the opportunity to attend training courses and both national and international events. You will also be tasked with teaching Bachelor's students. For this position the University Job Classification profile “promovendus” applies.
Your salary will be € 2.770 gross per month in the first year and will increase to € 3.539 in the final year, based on full-time employment and in keeping with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities . We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- a position in which initiative and input are highly valued;
- an enthusiastic and warm team that is open to new colleagues;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
The University of Amsterdam is the largest university in the Netherlands, with the broadest spectrum of degree programmes. It is an intellectual hub with 39,000 students, 6,000 employees and 3,000 doctoral students who are all committed to a culture of inquiring minds.
Amsterdam School of Communication Research at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences. The Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) is the research institute for the Communication Science Department in the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences at the University of Amsterdam.
About the faculty
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organization. The social and behavioral sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions, or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dr. Priska Breves, Assistant Professor and principle investigator of the project, firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by October 2nd, 2023. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in one bundled .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae, which also includes the grade transcripts from your bachelor and master’s studies;
- a letter of motivation, which also states whether you have completed your degree or a letter from the supervisor in which the expected date of completion of your degree is stated;
- the contact details of two academic references;
- an English-writing sample (e.g., a master thesis or other recent individual essay).
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451/ GBC451, reach out to our HR Department directly. They will gladly help you continue your application.
No agencies please.
Ph D Position In 'Co Designed Solutions For Food Value Chain Change', Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Your job Are you willing to contribute to the transition to a healthy, fair and environmentally friendly food system by investigating transparency and traceability to enhance trustworthiness in fo...
Ph D Position: Model Living Systematic Reviews Of Research On Human Cooperation, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Would you like to pursue a PhD in the social sciences? Do you have an interest in how people cooperate with each other, meta-science, and/or the application of meta-analysis in the social sciences...
Ph D Student 'Transforming Europe’s Forests', Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Do you want to make an impact on Europe’s forest management through research? We offer an exciting PhD project in Environmental Geography. Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Location: ...
Ph D Position: Innovative Biophotonic Platforms For Next Generation Antibiotics Resistance Testing, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 8 days ago
We are looking for an experimental lead to develop an innovative platform for next-generation antibiotics resistance testing as part of our growing team. The project combines concepts from microfl...
Phd Position: Enhancing Seasonal Predictability Of Impactful Weather Extremes In The Mediterranean Using Ai, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Are you interested in making a contribution to enhancing the predictability of seasonal extreme weather hazards, such as heat waves, droughts and wildfires, to better equip society in dealing with...
Ph D Position: Role Of Social Norms In Negative Campaigning And Affective Polarization, University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 9 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Amsterdam (UvA) Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadli...