- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 2,434 - € 3,111
- Nijmegen School of Management
- Required background: Research University Degree
- Application deadline: 31 October 2021
Does the interaction between EU law and public governance fascinate you? Would you like to become an expert on these themes? Then you have a part to play as a PhD Candidate. Deepen your research and teaching skills by participating in a multidisciplinary project about the enforcement of EU legislation by national regulatory authorities.
We invite applications for a PhD position on the research project 'Enforcement of EU legislation by national regulatory authorities' (Handhaving van EU-recht door nationale toezichthouders)'. This is a multidisciplinary project based on a cooperation between the Department of Public Administration at the Nijmegen School of Management and the Department of International and European Law at the Faculty of Law of Radboud University. You will be stationed at the Nijmegen School of Management but you will carry out your work in close cooperation with, and under the co-supervision of, professors from the Faculty of Law.
How does EU law influence the positioning, powers, tasks and duties of national regulatory authorities?
Aside from conducting your research project and writing academic articles/chapters, you will participate in conferences, organise and facilitate academic and non-academic workshops and seminars, and contribute to teaching at the Nijmegen School of Management and/or the Faculty of Law. In addition, you will fulfil administrative support activities for the multidisciplinary EUROPAL research group, such as website maintenance and the organisation of research meetings.
For more details see the detailed research description .
- A Master's degree in Public Administration or a related field, with a general understanding of EU (Public/Administrative) Law; or alternatively a Master's degree in European Law with a general understanding of Public Administration or a related field. It will be considered an asset if you have graduated in both disciplines.
- Knowledge of the enforcement of EU law and the appropriate EU legal frameworks is desirable. You do not need to be an expert in one specific field or domain, but should have a demonstrable interest in multi-level decision making and governance.
- Excellent knowledge of qualitative research methods, or an eagerness to develop this knowledge in the early stages of your project.
- The ability and passion to engage in multidisciplinary research.
- Outstanding study results, as demonstrated by grade transcripts and CV.
- Fluency in Dutch and English, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to arrange and conduct fieldwork, i.e. interviews, observations, small-scale surveys and focus groups.
- The ability to work both independently and in cooperation with the members of the research project.
- Strong skills in project management, flexibility, a proactive approach and excellent academic writing skills so that you will be able finish the PhD project in time.
- A strong commitment to professional and scientific integrity.
The Nijmegen School of Management (NSM) is an academic centre of research and higher education, focusing on institutional and managerial issues within complex organisations. There are seven disciplines within NSM: Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science, Economics and Business Economics, Social and Political Sciences of the Environment, Human Geography, and Spatial Planning. NSM strives for a multidisciplinary approach. NSM employs 330 FTEs, 75% of whom are academics. Currently, NSM has approximately 5,000 students.
The Faculty of Law at Radboud University considers education and research to be its core tasks. The academic education provided focuses on training all-round lawyers and delivering postgraduate courses for lawyers. The Department of International and European Law participates in the public law-oriented Research Centre for State and Law (SteR), which explores developments in the field of public law at the national and transnational levels. The implementation and reception of EU norms and the role of conflict-solving institutions is one of the key research lines. SteR aims to stimulate the ongoing exchange of knowledge and experience between academia and practice, producing outputs that have an impact on legal science as well as the wider community.
As a PhD researcher, you will be part of the Department of Public Administration. This department is a centre of teaching and research in the areas of policy analysis, public governance, and public service delivery, with a strong profile in research methods. Research activities fall under the responsibility of the interdisciplinary Institute for Management Research (IMR). In line with the motto 'responsible governance for sustainable societies', IMR focuses on academic research into the development, design and effectiveness of the organisational and governmental structures that regulate, govern or manage human interactions. Finally, you will be embedded in the multidisciplinary EUROPAL research group, which unites researchers working on matters of Europeanisation of policy and law, at both the Institute for Management Research and the Faculty of Law.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,434 based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,111 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. dr. Ellen Mastenbroek, Professor of European Public Policy at +31 24 361 30 22 or email@example.com . Alternatively, you can contact Prof. dr. Henri de Waele, Professor of International and European Law at +31 24 361 57 07 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Practical information and applications
You can apply until 31 October 2021, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. dr. Ellen Mastenbroek. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation explaining your interest in the PhD position and your competence in the research field.
- Your CV including academic qualifications, relevant knowledge, relevant research experience, a transcript of grades, a list of publications (if applicable) and two suitable academic references (e.g. from your thesis supervisor or professors).
- A writing sample, for example, a chapter from your Master's thesis or a forthcoming paper, preferably in English.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Ph D Candidate: Reflexive Regulation Using Narrative Methods Of Service Provision For Vulnerable People (Run Study), Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
In our welfare state, the government is responsible for protecting and helping vulnerable people, such as children and young adults with mental problems and learning disabilities. But how responsi...
The Faculty Of Law Of Maastricht University Is Looking For A Ph D Researcher – The Interactions Between Global Actors And The Eu Legal System (1,0 Fte), Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, 3 days ago
JOB DESCRIPTION We are looking for 1 PhD researcher who will carry out research on the interaction between global actors and the EU legal system with the Maastricht implementation of the ‘sector p...
Public Selection N. 1 Position Of R.T.D., Through The Stipulation Of A Subordinate Employment..., University of Foggia, Italy, 22 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Ph D Candidate 'Human I Psc Neuronal Platform For Neurodevelopmental Disorders', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 5 days ago
Radboudumc The research project will be based at the department of Human Genetics . We provide a stimulating work environment within a group of enthusiastic clinical and non-clinical researchers w...
Ph D Fellow In Supply Chain Management, University of Stavanger, Norway, 11 days ago
Job description The University of Stavanger invites applicants for a PhD Fellowship in Supply Chain Management at the UiS Business School, Department of Innovation, Leadership and Marketing. The p...
Ph D Position Within Sustainable Repurposing And/Or Recycling Of Lithium Ion Batteries (Li Bs), NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 10 days ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...