23 Sep 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
15 Oct 2023 - 22:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Would you like to help make climate action more effective and sustainable? If yes, come and join the Horizon Europe funded 'Achieving High Integrity Voluntary Climate Action' (ACHIEVE) project as a PhD candidate, based at Radboud University. You will be part of an international, interdisciplinary, diverse, enthusiastic and welcoming team.
A wide array of actors, including private sector actors, financial institutions, civil society, cities, and cooperative initiatives have announced voluntary climate commitments. The ACHIEVE project aims to identify opportunities to strengthen and scale up such voluntary climate action to contribute to reaching net-zero emissions by mid-century.
As a PhD candidate in this project, you will work on assessing and strengthening the sustainability of land-based carbon credits. You will map the global landscape of generating and using voluntary carbon credits, assess their quality (including synergies and trade-offs with other sustainability goals, particularly biodiversity), quantify the climate effectiveness of carbon credit use as contributions to non-state actors' climate mitigation goals, and explore opportunities for strengthening and scaling up sustainable carbon credit generation and use.
You will work closely with project members from around the world, participate in relevant conferences, workshops and seminars, and communicate your findings through publications in peer-reviewed journals. Part of your workload (10%) will consist of teaching activities at our institute, assisting staff members in their courses at the MSc level (in English). You will also have the opportunity to further develop your skills set by attending courses relevant for your project and general development. You will work under the supervision of Prof. Birka Wicke and Dr Sander Chan. Upon successful completion of the research project, you will be awarded a PhD degree from Radboud University. We particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
- You should hold (or shortly expect to obtain) a Master's degree in environmental or sustainability science, environmental modelling or an equivalent interdisciplinary field, or will have completed such a degree before the start date.
- You have demonstrable experience related to climate and sustainability impacts of land use and/or land-based carbon credit schemes, for instance in the form of a research assistantship or an excellent research-based Master’s thesis.
- Additional knowledge of and experience with any of the following topics is desirable: integrity and effectiveness of voluntary climate action, life cycle assessment and environmental modelling.
- You have strong computing and analytical skills (e.g. using R).
- You value teamwork and are keen to work in an interdisciplinary and diverse research team.
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,770 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,539 in the fourth year (salary scale P ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
You can apply until 15 October 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Birka Wicke. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
The first round of interviews will take place on Friday 3 November.
You would preferably begin employment on 1 February 2024.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
For questions about the position, please contact Birka Wicke, Professor of Land, Climate and Sustainability at email@example.com .
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Radboud University
- Postal Code
- 6525 XZ
- Houtlaan 4
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Candidate In Systems Level Exploration Of Malaria Parasite Dormancy , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 14 January 2024 Apply now...
Ph D Candidate: Interactive Causal Explanations For Patient Centric Personalised Health , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 06 December 2023 Apply now Are ...
Ph D Candidate In Computational And Developmental Biology , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 10 December 2023 Apply no...
Ph D Candidate: 'Empowerment Of Patients And Doctors Using Data And Ai' At The Donders Centre For Cognition , Radboud University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Social Sciences Application deadline 03 December 2023 ...
Ph D Candidate For Gas Phase Contamination Detection In Real Life Applications: Combining Spectroscopy And Spectrometry , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 01 February 2024 Apply now Are ...
Ph D Candidate: Whiteness, Spirituality And Esotericism , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies Application...