This project concerns a double PhD degree of Maastricht University and the University of Roskilde.
We offer a dynamic and challenging job in an internationally-oriented organisation where people receive an advanced education and scholars conduct exciting research. You will be part of an international network of top universities and renowned scholars within the field.
We offer a 4-year full-time appointment as PhD candidate in one of the 13 research projects under the umbrella of LIMES.
The first year will be a probation period, after a positive assessment the position will be extended with another 3 years.
Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels for PhD students starting with a salary of € 2.325,- with a yearly growth to € 2.972,- gross a month in year 4 (based on a full-time appointment.)
Each year the standard salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
You have to be willing to move to (the vicinity of) Maastricht, the Netherlands and for a period of one year to Roskilde, Denmark. You will be eligible for an allowance for moving costs. You may also be eligible for an allowance for alternative housing. Other secondary conditions include e.g. a pension scheme and partially paid parental leave.
You will be provided with shared office space and a PC.
Maastricht University’s Terms of Employment are laid down in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local university provisions apply as well. For more information please see the website: www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/support/UM-employees .
Starting date: preferably July 2020 Further information is available on the website: https://limes.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
- Selection process, application form and instructions
- Host institution, partners involved, employment conditions
- Set-up of the Programme, staff and contact points
- Training and secondment programme
- Information on the ethical and legal standards
 1951 Refugee Convention and the 1967 Protocol.
 GPAs are represented on a 1-4 scale, with 4 being the maximum score. The minimum thresholds are in line with the requirements of the major Dutch PhD funding schemes in the SSH sector (Research Talent / PhD in the Humanities). NUFFIC is referred to for any translations of grades between countries.
Application (eligibility criteria and application requirements)
Applicants submit an application package for one of the PhD projects. The full application must be submitted by email and in English, by means of the application form, and consist of:
- The application form containing: personal details (including language proficiencies), the LIMES project targeted, and a research proposal and a work plan which responds to the relevant project description (max. 1.000 words) (cf. template ).
- Annex I: A letter of motivation stating the candidate’s qualifications and reasons for interest in the position.
- Annex II: Curriculum vitae, outlining relevant work experiences and research output (where applicable). Applicants who have taken a break in their career should indicate this in their application (and in their CV), so it can be taken into account during the selection process.
- Annex III: Ethics self-assessment, based on the standard ethical research principles and the ethical principles of H2020 (cf. template ).
- Annex IV: Copy of Bachelor (BA) and (Research) Master (MA) degree and transcript (including GPA).
- Annex V: Proof of proficiency in English (for applicants who neither are native speakers of English nor followed an English taught BA or MA); see below for the expected level.
- Annex VI: One academic paper (course paper; thesis; academic publication).
- Annex VII: Contact information of two references (including e-mail; phone number, mailing address, and relationship to the applicant).
Following receipt of an application, the Programme Office (PO) carries out an eligibility check. In addition to the completeness of the application file, the PO also checks compliance with the Marie Skłodowska Curie Action (MSCA) requirements (1), minimum standards of academic performance (2), and language skills (3).
(1) Early-Stage Researchers (ESR) must on 8 April 2020 be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree entitling him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited, even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged.
Mobility Rule: Researchers may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before 8 April 2020.
Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
(2) LIMES requires that applicants have reached an overall average Grade Point Average (GPA) of the completed Bachelor of at least 3.4 and/or completed their Master study with a GPA of at least 3.5 (MA).
(3) For applicants who neither are native speakers of English nor followed an English taught BA or MA, the PO accepts certificates from:
· IELTS test: minimum score overall 7.0 and writing minimum score 6.5
· TOEFL test: overall, internet-based minimum score 100 and writing minimum score 25
· TOEFL test: overall, paper-based minimum score 600
· TOEFL test: overall, computer-based minimum score 250
· A Cambridge certificate: C or higher for the CAE (Certificate in Advanced English).
In case of ineligibility, the PO notifies the applicant by e-mail within ten working days after the receipt of the application.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, and (dis)ability) is to our advantage. Creating an inclusive working climate in which students and staff feel a valued member of the UM community is therefore a top strategic priority. UM values diversity within its community and encourages you to apply if you are qualified for this position.
In case of equally qualified applicants for the same position, we favour candidates from underrepresented groups in case of comparable qualification. There will be a check of the final selection results for gender and diversity balance and a possible redress.
The deadline for submitting your application is 8 April 2020.
Please send your application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org .
All applicants will be notified by 17 April at the latest as to whether or not they have been selected for an interview with the LIMES Cluster Committees. The interviews will take place in Maastricht early May 2020. Please see the application procedure on the website for more information.
The project on The Role of EU agencies in the management and guarding of borders in the EU will particularly welcome candidates with expertise in both legal and social sciences.
Ph D Candidate Position In Applied Computational Methods, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
PhD candidate position in applied computational methods PhD candidate position in applied computational methods Published Deadline Location 18 May 30 Jun Maastricht Maastricht University is offeri...
For The Nwo Gravitation Project ‘New Science Of Mental Disorders’, The Department Of Clinical Psychological Science Of Um Has An Opening For A Ph D Student With A Strong Interest, And Preferably Experience, In Conditioning Research And Psychopathology., Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
For the NWO Gravitation Project ‘New Science of Mental Disorders’, the department of Clinical Psychological Science of UM has an opening for a PhD student with a strong interest, and preferably ex...
Ph D Student In The Field Of Instrumentation Development In Mass Spectrometry Imaging, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
PhD student in the field of instrumentation development in mass spectrometry imaging PhD student in the field of instrumentation development in mass spectrometry imaging Published Deadline Locatio...
Ph D Candidate 4 Years Project Title: Value Of Ultra High Field Mri For Focal Epilepsy (Epi Ultra Study), Maastricht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
PhD candidate 4 years Project title: Value of Ultra High field MRI for focal epilepsy (EpiUltra study) PhD candidate 4 years Project title: Value of Ultra High field MRI for focal epilepsy (Ep...
Ph D Student: Directed 3 D Nanofabrication With Electrochemical Scanning Probes, AMOLF, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
Confined electrochemistry has the potential to create highly pure and crystalline nanostructures with controlled 3D geometry at low temperatures. However, so far, this has remained out of reach du...
Ph D Project On Designing Sustainable Urban Practices And Their Governance, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) is a university with an internationally acclaimed profile, located at the heart of the Dutch capital. As well as a world centre for business and research, Amster...