Are you our next PhD candidate in Bone Biology and Engineering?
Irène Curie Fellowship
Age-related bone fractures pose significant global health challenges, encompassing economic and psychosocial burdens, heightened morbidity, and rising mortality rates. These fractures often stem from the interplay of aging, underlying bone pathologies, and potential Covid-19 links. Existing fracture prediction tools exhibit limitations, necessitating a thorough exploration of bone microarchitecture. Our objective is to enhance understanding of microscopic cellular and matrix distinctions between healthy and pathological bones through advanced characterization methods. This research will unveil the impact of pathologies such as osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and Covid-19 on bone cells and their functions. Additionally, we will evaluate the effects of drug therapies on bone cells using patient samples, contributing to a comprehensive understanding of how these treatments impact bone microstructure. To recreate human bone tissue microarchitecture, we will advance human in vitro models by combining advanced biomaterials, high-resolution biofabrication, and on-chip techniques. To address this challenge, we are looking for a highly motivated candidate to apply for a PhD position (project DC4) within the EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Doctoral Network (MSCA DN) GAP, titled "Image-Guided Computational and Experimental Analysis of Fractured Patients." https://www.gapmscaproject.com/ . Within this large training network, you will be part of a cohort of 11 other PhD candidates distributed through a European network of leading bone research groups.
You will be enrolled at Eindhoven University of technology within the Bioengineering Bone and Biomaterials Design and Processing groups. Our mission is to advance the understanding of physiology, pathology, and regeneration through the development of 3D in vitro models of various tissues, with a heavy focus on bone, supported by the (bio)fabrication and application of biomaterials with various distinct structures and features to be used to create in vitro environments or graft materials.The Bioengineering Bone and Biomaterials Design and Processing groups are part of the Regenerative Materials and Engineering cluster of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Eindhoven University of Technology. https://www.tue.nl/en/our-university/departments/biomedical-engineering .
The department offers Bachelors and Masters education programs who are integrally linked to its research areas ranging across Chemical Biology, Biosensing, Biomaterials, Biomechanics Tissue Engineering, Computational Biology, Biomedical Imaging and Modelling, with 800+ students and 200+ academic staff. The university is open and inclusive with short communication lines. The people are curious, collaborative, and strive for excellence in research and education at an internationally renowned level. Our lively campus community facilitates connections between staff and students, in an open, friendly, vibrant atmosphere that welcomes and inspires.
We are accepting applications from enthusiastic and highly talented candidates who meet the following requirements:
- Experience and knowledge on Bone Tissue, Bone Bioengineering, Tissue Engineering, in vitro and ex-vivo Models, Biomaterials and 3D Printing is appreciated.
- Can be of any nationality but must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately before their recruitment date. Time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention (1951 Refugee Convention and the1967 Protocol), compulsory national service, and/or short stays such as holidays are not considered.
- Must meet the entry requirements for PhD enrollment. They must hold a 2nd Level Master's Degree (120 ECTS + 180 ECTS in a Bachelor Degree) or a Single Cycle Degree (minimum 300 ECTS), or a comparable university degree (Second Cycle qualification) in Biology, Biomedical engineering, Regenerative Medicine a comparable domain.
- Must not have a doctoral degree at the date of their recruitment. Researchers who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will not be considered eligible.
- Are required to be proficient in the English language (if not native speaker). English proficiency of short-listed applicants shall be assessed during the selection interview.
- Has a research-oriented attitude.
- Is able to work in a multidisciplinary and international research team.
- Motivated to develop your teaching skills and coach students.
- Are aware of and adhere to the principles set out in the Commission Recommendation on the European Charter for Researchers (link ).
Conditions of employment
We offer a meaningful job in a dynamic, stimulating and ambitious team environment. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for four years, with an intermediate evaluation (go/no-go) after nine months. You will spend 10% of your employment on teaching tasks.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale P (min. €2,770 max. €3,539).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs and other support to grow into a self-aware, autonomous scientific researcher. At TU/e we challenge you to take charge of your own learning process .
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact dr. Miguel Castilho (m.dias.castilho[at]tue.nl) or prof. Sandra Hofmann (s.hofmann[at]tue.nl ) for questions.
Your application should be performed through an online application platform: https://forms.gle/qfd9qMYNrryP1UPQ6 to be found on the GAP website: https://www.gapmscaproject.com/
Applications must be in English. Each applicant may apply to a maximum of three individual research projects.
Candidates must apply through the network website in which they will be able to upload the following documents:
- A CV (including publications, if any).
- A motivation letter.
- Copies of degree and academic transcripts (with grades and rankings), for both the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Academic records not written in English should be accompanied by a translation into English (it can be either an official translation or self-translation). If the candidate has not been awarded the qualifying degree yet, he/she should provide a document proving the expected date of award.
- Summary of Master’s thesis (approx. 1 page).
- Name, e-mail address, affiliation and role of at least one referees.
- Scanned copy of a valid national ID, passport, or equivalent.
- 1 Reference letter.
- English certificate (if not native speakers).
- Publications: maximum 3 journal papers or conference proceedings, no theses or under review manuscripts.
- Reference letter/s (for a maximum of 3).
The documents must be uploaded as indicated in the online form. This is a compulsory procedure, any other means/format for applying will not be accepted.
Eligible applications will be ranked on the basis of academic merit, research skills, motivation letter, and recommendation by referees.
The optimal candidates for each position will be invited to interviews (taking place mid of December) where the final candidate will be selected (Communication of the final results: end of December). The enrolment on our Doctoral school will take place from February 2024.
Applicants with a positive evaluation but not selected will be included on a reserve list to cover possible future positions and might be contacted at a later stage.
Ph D Position In Erc Funded Project On Myeloproliferative Neoplasms, RWTH Aachen, Germany, 24 days ago
9 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company RWTH Aachen Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Germany Application Deadline 10 Apr 2024 - 23:...
Phd Student Biomedical Engineering, UNIVERSIDAD CATÓLICA DE MURCIA - FUNDACIÓN UNIVERSITARIA SAN ANTONIO DE MURCIA, Spain, 7 days ago
26 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSIDAD CATÓLICA DE MURCIA - FUNDACIÓN UNIVERSITARIA SAN ANTONIO DE MURCIA Research Field Engineering » Biomedical engineering Researcher Profi...
Ph D Student To Work On The Design Of Antimicrobial Bioceramics Functionalized With Peptides, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)- BarcelonaTECH, Spain, 11 days ago
22 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)- BarcelonaTECH Research Field Engineering » Biomaterial engineering Chemistry Researcher Profile First S...
Ph D Candidate In The Neural Networks For Automatic Bone Fracture Detection (Gap Msca Dc7), NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, Norway, 27 days ago
7 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU Research Field Computer science Engineering Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Resea...
Research Grant — R&D Activities To Be Carried Out By Students Enrolled In An Integrated Master's, Master's, Doctoral Or Non Academic Degree Course, Article 6, Regulation No. 950/2019 Of The Fct (Bi/Utad/5/2024 (1 Position), University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, Portugal, 10 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro Department Research Support Office Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile First Sta...
Research Grant — R&D Activities To Be Carried Out By Students Enrolled In Technical Courses, Undergraduate Programs, Integrated Master's Programs, Master's Programs, Or Non Degree Courses, Article 5, Regulation No. 950/2019 Of The Fct Bii/Utad/3/2024 (1 , University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, Portugal, 12 days ago
21 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro Department Research Support Office Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile First Sta...