The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will be trained within the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network MINDSHIFT (Mechanistic Integration of vascular aND endocrine pathways for Subtyping Hypertension: an Innovative network approach for Future generation research Training) and will perform the research project entitled "Methylglyoxal: a reactive dicarbonyl sparking development of systolic hypertension" primarily at Maastricht University (UM) under the supervision of Prof. Casper Schalkwijk and Dr. Koen D. Reesink in close collaboration with partner institute Universidad de Computense, Prof. Marisol Fernandez-Alfonso, and with our private partner Quipu Srl, Dr. Elisabetta Bianchini.
Background & Objective
Large artery stiffening leads to systolic hypertension and is accelerated in diabetes. Advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) are implicated in normative ageing, diabetes, and hypertension. Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a major precursor of AGE formation and MGO can be detoxified by glyoxalase-1 (Glo1). At the population level, plasma MGO is associated with increased systolic hypertension. The various pathways through which MGO could exert its effect on (accelerated) arterial stiffening have yet to be established. Possible routes include extracellular matrix cross-linking, vascular cell phenotypic changes, and perivascular tissue modulation of smooth muscle tone. This project is aimed at establishing how MGO modulates the cellular ageing process and, thereby, the arterial stiffening process.
- Experimental models of Glo-1 overexpression and of ageing (smooth muscle and endothelial cell specific Ercc1∆/- mice) will be used.
- Biological and physiological effects of MGO across molecular-cell-tissue-vessel scales will be studied. Vascular reactivity will be determined by advanced pressure myography. Specific markers of cellular senescence will be included.
- We have developed in-house a dedicated setup to quantify arterial biaxial mechanical properties as well as microscopic ultrastructure. In the project, a new approach needs to be developed to quantify smooth muscle tone ex vivo in intact vessel segments. In addition, smooth muscle cells will be characterised in vitro, enabling detailed phenotyping, including myogenic response and contractile markers like SM-MHC and smoothelin.
- We will include methods to capture and identify the paracrine role of perivascular fat tissue. MGO has been shown to impact perivascular fat metabolism and, in turn, perivascular fat has been shown to modulate smooth muscle cell function and phenotype.
- In addition to mechanistic studies, a pyridoxamine (vitamin B6)-based therapeutic approach to quench MGO will be developed and tested.
For the project, three supporting secondments are planned to develop skills and widen the scientific scope. These include 2 months at the Fernandez-Alfonso lab at UCM on perivascular adipose tissue assays, 1 month at the Shiels lab at UGLA on cellular senescence assays, and 1 month at Quipu Srl on vascular ultrasound image quantification, in collaboration with MINDSHIFT projects 11 and 7.
Two Postdoc Positions In Cell Signalling, Proteomics And Glycoproteomics (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
We are looking for two highly motivated postdoc candidates to work in the area of cell signaling, glycoproteomics, and protein mass spectrometry on the following topics: Postdoctoral Researcher 1:...
Phd Candidate Research Into T Cell Engineering, Erasmus MC (University Medical Center Rotterdam), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Adoptive therapy with T cell receptor (TCR)-engineered T cells has demonstrated objective responses in multiple types of tumors, including hard-to-treat solid tumors. To further advance adoptive T...
Joint Ph D Position Single Cell Regulatory Genomics In Utrecht & Leuven, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 20 days ago
Your goal will be to develop new single-cell assays and/or computational strategies to model genomic regulatory programs, using a variety of single-cell epigenomics and transcriptomics data sets. ...
Postdoc Position: Single Cell Manipulation With The Fluid Fm Technology , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 20 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The ability to man...
Doctoral Scholarship Acquired And Inherited Neuromuscular Disorders, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 3 hours ago
Department: Neurology Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academi...
Postdoc Position Available At The Unit For Cell Death And Inflammation (Ucdi), VIB, Belgium, about 8 hours ago
The Unit for Cell Death and Inflammation (UCDI) of Prof. Peter Vandenabeele has currently a job opening for a highly motivated postdoctoral scientist with research experience in autophagy and cell...