The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will be trained within the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network MINDSHIFT (Mechanistic Integration of vascular aND endocrine pathways for Subtyping Hypertension: an Innovative network approach for Future generation research Training) and will perform the research project entitled "Methylglyoxal: a reactive dicarbonyl sparking development of systolic hypertension" primarily at Maastricht University (UM) under the supervision of Prof. Casper Schalkwijk and Dr. Koen D. Reesink in close collaboration with partner institute Universidad de Computense, Prof. Marisol Fernandez-Alfonso, and with our private partner Quipu Srl, Dr. Elisabetta Bianchini.
Background & Objective
Large artery stiffening leads to systolic hypertension and is accelerated in diabetes. Advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) are implicated in normative ageing, diabetes, and hypertension. Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a major precursor of AGE formation and MGO can be detoxified by glyoxalase-1 (Glo1). At the population level, plasma MGO is associated with increased systolic hypertension. The various pathways through which MGO could exert its effect on (accelerated) arterial stiffening have yet to be established. Possible routes include extracellular matrix cross-linking, vascular cell phenotypic changes, and perivascular tissue modulation of smooth muscle tone. This project is aimed at establishing how MGO modulates the cellular ageing process and, thereby, the arterial stiffening process.
- Experimental models of Glo-1 overexpression and of ageing (smooth muscle and endothelial cell specific Ercc1∆/- mice) will be used.
- Biological and physiological effects of MGO across molecular-cell-tissue-vessel scales will be studied. Vascular reactivity will be determined by advanced pressure myography. Specific markers of cellular senescence will be included.
- We have developed in-house a dedicated setup to quantify arterial biaxial mechanical properties as well as microscopic ultrastructure. In the project, a new approach needs to be developed to quantify smooth muscle tone ex vivo in intact vessel segments. In addition, smooth muscle cells will be characterised in vitro, enabling detailed phenotyping, including myogenic response and contractile markers like SM-MHC and smoothelin.
- We will include methods to capture and identify the paracrine role of perivascular fat tissue. MGO has been shown to impact perivascular fat metabolism and, in turn, perivascular fat has been shown to modulate smooth muscle cell function and phenotype.
- In addition to mechanistic studies, a pyridoxamine (vitamin B6)-based therapeutic approach to quench MGO will be developed and tested.
For the project, three supporting secondments are planned to develop skills and widen the scientific scope. These include 2 months at the Fernandez-Alfonso lab at UCM on perivascular adipose tissue assays, 1 month at the Shiels lab at UGLA on cellular senescence assays, and 1 month at Quipu Srl on vascular ultrasound image quantification, in collaboration with MINDSHIFT projects 11 and 7.
Ph D Position In Physical Sciences, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia, 9 days ago
Tallinn University of Technology, School of Science, Department of Cybernetics offers a 4-year PhD position in Physical Sciences. Proposed doctoral thesis topic: "Deep dive into the cardiac cell: ...
Ph D Candidate, Faculty Of Health, Medicine And Life Sciences, School Nutrim / Department Of..., Maastricht University (UM), Netherlands, 28 days ago
Introduction According to the World Health Organization, lung diseases are the number one cause of death worldwide. Lung diseases almost without exception lead to extremely debilitating symptoms a...
Ph D Position In Chemistry And Biotechnology, Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia, 9 days ago
Tallinn University of Technology, School of Science, Department of Cybernetics offers a 4-year PhD position in Chemistry and Biotechnology. Proposed doctoral thesis topic: "Linking energetics to m...
Ph D Student Laboratory Of Structural Cell Biology, The International Institute of Molecular Mechanisms and Machines Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 28 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Interdisciplinary Ph D Position In Quantitative Cell Biology And Biochemistry, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 6 hours ago
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic PhD candidate with a strong background in cell biology, (bio)chemistry, (bio)physics or closely related fields to join the Cell Cycle Dynamic...
Ph D Student In Computational Systems Biology At Cic Bio Gune, Asociación Centro de Investigación Cooperativa en Biociencias - CIC bioGUNE, Spain, 20 days ago
The Computational Biology Group at CIC bioGUNE seeks a highly skilled and motivated PhD student to work on an exciting project that aims at developing a computational framework for modeling stem c...