The Early Stage Researcher (ESR) will be trained within the prestigious Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network MINDSHIFT (Mechanistic Integration of vascular aND endocrine pathways for Subtyping Hypertension: an Innovative network approach for Future generation research Training) and will perform the research project entitled "Methylglyoxal: a reactive dicarbonyl sparking development of systolic hypertension" primarily at Maastricht University (UM) under the supervision of Prof. Casper Schalkwijk and Dr. Koen D. Reesink in close collaboration with partner institute Universidad de Computense, Prof. Marisol Fernandez-Alfonso, and with our private partner Quipu Srl, Dr. Elisabetta Bianchini.
Background & Objective
Large artery stiffening leads to systolic hypertension and is accelerated in diabetes. Advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) are implicated in normative ageing, diabetes, and hypertension. Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a major precursor of AGE formation and MGO can be detoxified by glyoxalase-1 (Glo1). At the population level, plasma MGO is associated with increased systolic hypertension. The various pathways through which MGO could exert its effect on (accelerated) arterial stiffening have yet to be established. Possible routes include extracellular matrix cross-linking, vascular cell phenotypic changes, and perivascular tissue modulation of smooth muscle tone. This project is aimed at establishing how MGO modulates the cellular ageing process and, thereby, the arterial stiffening process.
- Experimental models of Glo-1 overexpression and of ageing (smooth muscle and endothelial cell specific Ercc1∆/- mice) will be used.
- Biological and physiological effects of MGO across molecular-cell-tissue-vessel scales will be studied. Vascular reactivity will be determined by advanced pressure myography. Specific markers of cellular senescence will be included.
- We have developed in-house a dedicated setup to quantify arterial biaxial mechanical properties as well as microscopic ultrastructure. In the project, a new approach needs to be developed to quantify smooth muscle tone ex vivo in intact vessel segments. In addition, smooth muscle cells will be characterised in vitro, enabling detailed phenotyping, including myogenic response and contractile markers like SM-MHC and smoothelin.
- We will include methods to capture and identify the paracrine role of perivascular fat tissue. MGO has been shown to impact perivascular fat metabolism and, in turn, perivascular fat has been shown to modulate smooth muscle cell function and phenotype.
- In addition to mechanistic studies, a pyridoxamine (vitamin B6)-based therapeutic approach to quench MGO will be developed and tested.
For the project, three supporting secondments are planned to develop skills and widen the scientific scope. These include 2 months at the Fernandez-Alfonso lab at UCM on perivascular adipose tissue assays, 1 month at the Shiels lab at UGLA on cellular senescence assays, and 1 month at Quipu Srl on vascular ultrasound image quantification, in collaboration with MINDSHIFT projects 11 and 7.
Student Scholarship, Institute of Fundamental Technological Research Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 6 days ago
Open competition for the Assistant-PhD Student position in the National Science Centre funded project: Cell-to-cell heterogeneity of cross-wired cytokine signaling: filling the gaps between molecu...
Ph D Student Position In The Laboratory Of Cell Biology, International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, Poland, about 1 month ago
Laboratory of Cell Biology at the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IIMCB), Warsaw, headed by Prof. Marta Miączyńska is looking for a PhD student. You will join the project en...
Postdoctoral Position In Function And Regulation Of Muscle Stem Cells, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 10 days ago
Available position for a postdoctoral fellow to study function and regulation of stem cell aging. We are looking for highly motivated and ambitious experimental biologists to join our research tea...
I Ns T Ru Ct: Call For Applications From Early Stage Researcher For Doctoral (Ph D) Training Position In..., University of Antwerp, Belgium, Belgium, 10 days ago
INsTRuCT is an Innovative Training Network (ITN) funded by the European Union Horizon 2020 Programme. The INsTRuCT Consortium is a research network of leading European scientists from academia and...
Ph D In Advanced Microscopy Of Supra Assemblies Regulating Cell Growth, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain, 25 days ago
Ours is an interdisciplinary research in the frontier of cell biology, biophysics, computational modelling and structural biology. We develop methods of fluorescence microscopy that allow the stru...
Ph D Student In Rehabilitation Sciences Exercise Physiology In Metabolic Diseases: Role Of..., UHasselt, Belgium, 17 days ago
Background Within the context of the expansion of the research of the REVAL Rehabilitation Research group of Hasselt University the faculty of Rehabilitation sciences wishes to inform about a vaca...