4 May 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
31 May 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is looking for:
4 PhD students
What are you expected to do
You execute a PhD-research project, under the supervision of one or more faculty members. The positions will be available in the four research programs where in which the institute is active:
- Discrete Mathematics and Quantum Information
- Algebra, Geometry and Mathematical Physics
On our website you will find general information about the Research Programs.
By the PhD starting date, which will typically be in Autumn 2023, we require a Master's degree in Mathematics, or a closely related field with a substantial mathematics component. Experience in teaching is a plus.
In the case of equal suitability, we will give preference to the candidate who contributes most to the diversity of our institute. In particular, we strongly encourage women to apply.
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week for the duration of 4 years (the initial contract will be for a period of 18 months and after satisfactory evaluation it will be extended for a total duration of 4 years). This should lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). We will draft an educational plan that may include attendance of courses and (international) meetings.
The starting date is Autumn 2023.
The salary will be €2.541 to €3.247 (scale P) gross per month, based on a full-time contract of 38 hours a week. This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the '30% ruling', may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- a complete educational program for PhD students;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you're moving from abroad.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits like our excellent opportunities for study and development? Take a look here .
For more information about the job, please contact:
Prof. dr. Joris Mooij
Algebra, Geometry and Mathematical Physics
Prof. dr. Sergey Shadrin
Prof. dr. Rob Stevenson
Discrete Mathematics and Quantum Information
Prof. dr. Jo Ellis-Monaghan
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by May 31, 2023. You can apply online by using the button below.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a motivation letter that explains: 1) why you have chosen to apply for a PhD position at the KdVI and 2) which of the four research programs you prefer;
- a copy of your Master's thesis or, if not completed, a copy of your Bachelor's thesis (please include it even if it is not written in English);
- a complete record of Bachelor and Master courses (including grades);
- names and contact information of two academic references (please do not include any recommendation letters).
All these should be grouped in a single PDF attachment.
Please mention the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Science
- Postal Code
- Science Park 904
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Position In Quantum Simulation And Computing With Arrays Of Single Sr Atoms , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Are you a eager to push quantum simulation and computing to new levels in a lively, international research group? Our Strontium Quantum Gases Group is offering a PhD position on our Sr tweezer p...
Ph D Position In Quantum Many Body Physics With Ultracold Rb Sr Mixtures And Rb Sr Molecules , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Are you a eager to push quantum simulation to new levels in a lively, international research group? Our Strontium Quantum Gases Group is offering a PhD position on our RbSr project. Our group is...
Ph D Candidate For The Project "The Occurrence And Impact Of Greenwashed Claims By Influencers" , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 17 days ago
The PhD project will focus on three research areas: (1) exploring the occurrence of greenwashing done by greenfluencers, (2) gaining insights into the susceptibility of followers to these claims u...
Ph D Position In Nanophotonics With 2 D Quantum Materials , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Are you a highly motivated physicist interested in a PhD project at the intersection between nanophotonics and 2D material science? The 2D Nanophotonics group within the Institute of Physics has a...
Ph D Student: Attitudes And Behavioural Change Towards Sustainable Health Care , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 5 days ago
Are you exceptionally interested in the psychology of sustainable behaviour? Is it your ambition to become a top-tier researcher? Are you passionate about investigating fundamental research questi...
Ph D Candidate In Molecular Astrophysics: Pah Spectroscopy For Uv Irradiated Environments , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,770 - € 3,539 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Science Application deadline 01 November 2023 Apply now Do y...