JADS: New research initiative on data science: 4-5 PhD positions on data science, theme Business in a joint research initiative between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Tilburg University (TiU).
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
Data Science Center Eindhoven
JADS: New research initiative on data science
The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is the unique collaboration of two renowned universities bringing together their top academics to further the emerging and multidisciplinary academic field of data science. JADS not only offers nine academic educational programs (Bachelor, Master, PD.ENG, PhD and Professional) but also hosts three research centers; the Data Science Center Eindhoven (DSC/e), the Data Science Center Tilburg (DSC/t), and the Data Science Center Den Bosch (DSC/db) at the new Mariënburg campus. At these centers we conduct groundbreaking research on data science and create concrete societal value.
The new Mariënburg campus on Data Science is located in a historic and beautiful former convent in the heart of the medieval city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch and is within walking distance from the central train station. It is the place where academics with engineering and business/social competences meet each other and participate in a wide-spread data science ecosystem. It is a buzzing and diverse place where learning based on data has center stage. The Mariënburg campus hosts lecture halls, academic labs, student apartments, data start-ups, corporate field labs, a coder dojo, and a data artist. By mixing students, academics, and companies, all on the topic of data science, we aim to cross-fertilize, innovate and transform data into value-adding insights and wisdom to advance companies, governments and society at large.
The Mariënburg Research Themes
The Mariënburg research group focuses on four themes that will each be addressed through collaboration from several disciplines:
- Theme 1: Business in a world of Data
- Theme 2: Humans in a world of Data
- Theme 3: Rules in a world of Data
- Theme 4: Services in a world of Data
In all cases PhD researchers will have their home base in Mariënburg. Moreover, PhD researchers typically will have one supervisor from Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and one from Tilburg University (TiU).
Theme: Business in a world of Data
A classical definition of Big Data focuses on the four V’s: Volume, Variety, Veracity and Velocity. In Mariënburg, the fifth V of Value takes centre stage. While value is critically important, creating and subsequently capturing (economic, environmental and/or social) value from data (Big, small, or a combination of both) is far from straightforward.
To kick-start the Mariënburg “Business in a World of Data”, we have defined four subthemes:
- Data-Driven Organizations (DDO’s). This subtheme looks into the organizational and transformational aspects of creating value with data. What is the impact on managing organizations of changing towards a data-driven business model?
- Data-Driven Business Models. Within this subtheme, we examine which new revenue models and features (e.g., ethical features) emerge in the data economy through webservices, API’s. How do these business models fit together in
overarching innovation ecosystems and how should such ecosystems be managed?
- Customized Data Entrepreneurship Interventions. This subtheme pertains to designing and building customized experimental and survey tools, and build services (e.g., apps, API’s, games, and tests) to offer entrepreneurs tailor-made advice as to how to improve their ventures’ performance. What advice to give when, and what’s the effect?
- Civic, Public and Social Entrepreneurship. Traditionally, entrepreneurship is associated with for-profit enterprises. However, if entrepreneurship is defined as proactively and innovatively spotting and exploring new opportunities, this is anything but restricted to the commercial marketplace. What are the antecedents and consequences of such civic, public and social entrepreneurship.
This theme has openings for 4-5 PhD researchers. We are looking for PhD researchers with expertise in one or more of the following fields: data mining, machine learning, social network analysis, process analytics, predictive analytics, organizational theory and entrepreneurship.
PhD researchers are expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Collaborate with other researchers in this project;
- Present results at (international) conferences;
- Publish results in scientific journals;
- Participate in activities of the group, not only in ‘s-Hertogenbosch but in Eindhoven and Tilburg;
- Assist in teaching undergraduate/graduate courses;
Be willing to work at multiple locations (the Mariënburg campus will be the main office of the Ph.D. candidate, but one may also be temporary stationed at TU/e and/or at TiU or with one of our partners).
- Have a Master degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Psychology, Econometrics, Law or a related discipline;
- Have a strong interest in data science research;
- Be highly motivated, be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software according to high quality standards;
- Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be hard working;
- Possess good communication capabilities and be an efficient team worker;
- Be fluent in English, both spoken and written.
The core team consists of prof. dr. J.A. (Arjan) van den Born (TiU), Dr. K.S. (Ksenia) Podoynitsyna (TU/e), and prof. dr. A. (Arjen) van Witteloostuijn (TiU).
Conditions of employment
Appointment and salary
The PhD-candidate will be employed at Tilburg University (TiU) or Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). PhD researchers will be officially appointed at the department of the professor, who will act as prime PhD supervisor. We offer:
- A full-time temporary appointment. The duration of the contract will depend on where the organizational positioning will take place;
- A gross salary of € 2,191 per month in the first year increasing up to € 2,801 per month in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The University will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
- Assistance in finding accommodation (for foreign employees);
- The opportunity to perform research in a large-scale joint project from a leading technical university and a leading high-tech company;
- Support for your personal development and career planning including participation in the EIT doctoral training, courses, summer schools, conference visits, research visits to other institutes (both academic and industrial), etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including excellent technical infrastructure, child day care, savings schemes and excellent sport facilities).
Information and application
For more information about the initiative, please contact email@example.com .
The only way to apply is online by following the button “apply now” or "solliciteer direct". Applications via e-mail will not be accepted.
By using the "apply now" or "solliciteer direct" button, you automatically will be forwarded to this specific vacancy on the website of Tilburg University (TiU). Because of the collaberation between JADS, Tilburg University (TiU) and Eindhoven University of Technogoly (TU/e) further information and correspondence regarding the recruitment process will be given by Tilburg University (TiU).
Candidates are asked to provide a detailed CV and a motivation letter that indicates one or more of the PhD projects that the candidate wishes to apply for. If your are interested in several PhD projects, please apply for the projects separately (by selecting the themes/vacancies you want to apply for).
Applications should be submitted 6 June 2017 at the latest. Selection will be on-going in the period March, 2017 - July, 2017. This means that suitable candidates will be interviewed and if deemed fit, be hired immediately without waiting for applications of other candidates.
Ph D Position In The Field Of 'assessment Of The Prospects Of Synthetic Renewable Fuels (Solar Fuels)' (1,0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
PhD position in the field of 'Assessment of the prospects of Synthetic Renewable Fuels (Solar Fuels)' (1,0 FTE) Functie As part of the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, the Energy a...
Ph D Scholarship In Microbial Ecology And Fluid Dynamics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 15 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Aqua by completing the following form. Apply online We are seeking a PhD student for a three-year PhD scholarship for a project at the ...
Ph D Scholarship In Cfd Analysis Of The Impact Of The Scale Build Up On The Liquid Flow In The Wells Used For Oil & Gas Production, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 15 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Mechanical Eng by completing the following form. Apply online The Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Danish Hydrocarbon Resea...
Ph D Scholarship In Microbiome Systems Biology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 2 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioinformatics by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD position is available at the Department of Bio and Health Informatic...
Ph D Scholarship In Health Related Effects Of Quinoa Impact On Intestinal Permeability And Immune Responses, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 24 September 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Food by completing the following form. Apply online National Food Institute at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU Food) invites...
Ph D Scholarships, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
Apply no later than 13 October 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Compute by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Compute invites talented candidates who have obtained remarkable results dur...