The University of Luxembourg (UL) invites applications for a Doctoral Candidate. The selected candidate will be part of the DRIVEN Doctoral Training Unit (https://driven.uni.lu ), consisting of 19 doctoral candidates. DRIVEN is funded by the FNR PRIDE funding instrument https://www.fnr.lu/funding-instruments/pride/
Doctoral candidate (PhD student) in the field of Geodesy and Geophysics (PRIDE PhD Fellow)
- Ref: R-AGR-3440-01-B
- 48 months PhD research project (36 months initial contract)
- Employee and student status
- Enrolment in the DRIVEN Doctoral Training School
The Computational and Data DRIVEN Science DTU is training a cohort of 19 Doctoral Candidates who will develop data-driven modelling approaches common to a number of applications strategic to the Luxembourgish Research Area and Luxembourg’s Smart Specialization Strategies . DRIVEN will build a bridge between state-of-the-art data driven modelling approaches and particular application domains, including Computational Physics, Engineering Sciences, Computational Biology and Life Sciences, Computational Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Geodynamics.
The Geophysics Laboratory focuses on four main research topics, climate variability, geodynamics, and regional processes. The main objectives are to develop reliable measurements of environmental changes at all spatial and temporal scales. In particular, the team investigates changes in the water cycle, the mass changes in the Greenland ice sheet, the dynamics of the Yellowstone Caldera, and the use of GNSS reflections for sea-level, snow-depth, and soil moisture studies. The PhD student will be a member of the Geophysics Laboratory within the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine at the University. He/she will work under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Olivier Francis.
The PhD student will investigate new techniques to perform GNSS Grazing Angle GNSS-R altimetry. In this context, the successful candidate will focus on grazing angle reflections of GNSS signals off of ocean and sea ice surfaces for precise sea ice altimetry. He/she should be highly motivated for research work, and able to work well both on his/her own and in groups of researchers.
Your primary tasks as a DRIVEN fellow are to:
- Manage and drive forward your research project
- Attend doctoral school courses, trainings and social events
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Disseminate your research at conferences and seminars
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Sajad Tabibi, E-mail: email@example.com / Tel: (+352) 46 66 44 5315
- Master's degree or equivalent in geodesy, geophysics and/or physics, applied mathematics, computational engineering
- Solid background in computing and fluency in one of the MATLAB, Python, or C++
- Profound knowledge of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and/or GNSS-R
- Good English language skills (a certified level B2 is the minimum required, while level C1 is a plus)
- Willingness to work in an inter-cultural and international environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Curiosity and self-motivation
- Intensive training in scientific and transferable skills, participation in schools, conferences and workshops
- Enrolment as a PhD student in the DRIVEN Training Unit, within an appropriate the UL doctoral school, e.g. Doctoral School of Science and Engineering
- Personal workspace at UL
Online Applications should contain the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae (maximum two pages)
- Motivation letter (maximum two pages) detailing how you meet the selection criteria for the given research direction
- Publication list (if any) and PDFs of those publications
- Master’s thesis (final or draft, if draft, then state the expected submission date)
- Full contact details of two persons willing to act as referees
- Copies of diplomas, transcripts with grades, with English, French or German translation
All documents should be uploaded in PDF format via the UL online submission system until 31 September 2020 (no applications via email please). Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Candidates will be shortlisted based on the criteria detailed above. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and/or interviewed by phone
- The University of Luxembourg is an equal opportunity employer
Ph D Position On Remote Sensing Of Ice Shelf Thinning (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 22 hours ago
PhD position on remote sensing of ice shelf thinning (1.0 FTE) Functie Antarctic mass loss is the largest source of uncertainty in current sea level rise projections. Ice shelf instability plays a...
Postdoctoral Position In Microstructure Of Sea Spray Ice, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
About the position Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has a vacancy for a postdoctoral candidate with expertise in applied engineering and physics, in particular physics of porous ...
Ph D Position On Modelling Water In The Firn Of Antarctic Ice Shelves (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 22 hours ago
PhD position on modelling water in the firn of Antarctic Ice Shelves (1.0 FTE) Functie The flow of water through the snow layer on ice sheets is an important but complex challenge in glaciology. E...
Ph D Candidate In Microstructure Of Sea Spray Ice, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a PhD Candidate at Department of Structural Engineering . NTNU Nanomechanical Lab , Department of Structural Engineering at the Norwegian University of Sci...
Three Motivated Ph D Student To Work In Three Different And Highly Topical Projects! Two Ph D Student In Marine Ecology And One Ph D Student In Physical Oceanography, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 9 hours ago
Three motivated PhD student to work in three different and highly topical projects! Two PhD student in marine ecology and one PhD student in Physical Oceanography The Department of Marine Sciences...
Tenure Track Positions & Postdoc Positions In Atmospheric And Oceanic Sciences At Peking University, American Geophysical Union, Spain, 1 day ago
The Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences of Peking University invites applications for multiple tenure-track faculty positions in atmospheric and oceanic sciences. Multiple positions are...