SnTis a leading international research and innovation centre in secure, reliable and trustworthy ICT systems and services. We play an instrumental role in Luxembourg by fueling innovation through research partnerships with industry, boosting R&D investments leading to economic growth, and attracting highly qualified talent.
The Centre is rapidly expanding its research activities and is seeking highly motivated doctoral candidates who wish to pursue research in close cooperation with our partners. For further information you may check: www.securityandtrust.lu and https://wwwen.uni.lu/snt/research/finatrax
We’re looking for people driven by excellence, excited about innovation, and looking to make a difference. If this sounds like you, you’ve come to the right place!
Successful candidates will join the young, vibrant, and interdisciplinary FINATRAX Research Group, which builds bridges between business research and information systems engineering. The group conducts research on the application and the impact of digital technologies like DLT/Blockchain, Digital Identities, Machine Learning/AI, and IoT/5G on organisations from both the private and public sectors. The group consists of doctoral and post-doctoral researchers from diverse backgrounds (e.g., policy, business, technology), united in pursuit of sustainable technologies that positively impact society.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to make an important contribution to shape the electricity system in Luxembourg. Therefore, candidates will be working together in a research project with creos, the major grid operator in Luxembourg. The topic of the project is Flexibility potentials and user Behaviour Analysis and the goal is to systematically assess how the different energy sectors (Industry, Households, SMEs, Mobility) in Luxembourg will react in a future electricity system which is exposed to a higher volatility. Next to these activities, successful candidates will carry out research in the context of Prof. Fridgen’s PayPal-FNR PEARL Research Grant with the topic digitalization of energy systems.
The candidate should possess an MSc degree (or equivalent) in (Energy) Economics, Information Systems, Managerial Economics, Power Systems Engineering, or Industrial Engineering.
What we are looking for:
- A collaborative team player with a desire to make a personal impact within our interdisciplinary research group
- The commitment to participate in the design and implementation of high-quality solutions that solve significant problems
- Self-initiative, creativity, curiosity, flexibility and enthusiasm to work
Knowledge and Experience:
The ideal candidate should have some knowledge and/or experience in one or several of the following areas:
- Quantitative research method(s), especially statistical methods
- Knowledge and understanding on energy markets and price-influencing factors
- The interplay between electricity markets and the electricity grid
- Overview of approaches and tools to model electricity markets
- Modelling of flexible assets in grid or market simulations
- Regulation of the electricity system and market design
Language Skills:Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English are required. Knowledge of either French, German or Luxembourgish will be appreciated but are not a requirement to apply.
Here’s what awaits you at SnT
- A stimulating learning environment. Here post-docs and professors outnumber PhD students. That translates into access and close collaborations with some of the brightest ICT researchers, giving you solid guidance
- Exciting infrastructures and unique labs. At SnT’s two campuses, our researchers can take a walk on the moon at the LunaLab, build a nanosatellite, or help make autonomous vehicles even better
- The right place for IMPACT. SnT researchers engage in demand-driven projects. Through our Partnership Programme, we work on projects with more than 45 industry partners
- Multiple funding sources for your ideas. The University supports researchers to acquire funding from national, European and private sources
- Competitive salary package. The University offers a 12 month-salary package, over six weeks of paid time off, health insurance and subsidised living and eating
- Be part of a multicultural family. At SnT we have more than 60 nationalities. Throughout the year, we organise team-building events, networking activities and more
But wait, there’s more!
Students can take advantage of several opportunities for growth and career development, from free language classes to career resources and extracurricular activities.
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 36 Month (extendable up to 48 months)
- Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
- Location: Kirchberg
- Employee and student status
- Job Reference: UOL04713
The yearly gross salary for every PhD at the UL is EUR 38.028,96 (full time)
How to apply
Applications, written in English should be submitted through the University’s job portal and should include:
- A cover letter including:
- A statement on the candidate’s personal motivation for applying (why a doctoral program, why in Luxembourg, minimum 300 words)
- A statement on the candidate’s motivation for applying for this topic (minimum 300 words)
- Full CV, including the contact address and work experience
- Transcript of all modules and results from university-level courses taken (Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent)
- Candidate’s higher education entrance qualification (e.g., high school diploma)
- Reference letters by prior employers
Early submission is encouraged; applications will be processed upon arrival.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
About the University of Luxembourg
University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its “international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Ph D Candidate In Computer Science Within Fnr Funded Doctoral Training Unit On Explainable Artificial Intelligence (Xai) In Digital History (D4 H), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 12 hours ago
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 s...
Ph D Position: Changes In Physical Environment Related To Changes In Neighbourhood Ses, University Medical Center Utrecht (UMC Utrecht), Netherlands, 20 days ago
PhD position: Changes in physical environment related to changes in neighbourhood SES PhD position: Changes in physical environment related to changes in neighbourhood SES Published Deadline Locat...
Ph D – Disruptive Technologies For Transitions In Agri Food Systems, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 26 days ago
Are you interested in contributing to theory and practice of transitions and transformations in agri-food systems from the smallest to the largest level? Do you have affinity with disruptive techn...
Jads: Ph D In Synergies Between Platforms (1,0 Fte), Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Department(s) Mathematics and Computer Science Institutes and others JADS Den Bosch Reference number V32.5956 Job description Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) Den Bosch, isproud to start ...
Jads: Ph D In Network Perspective On The Content And User Behavior (1,0 Fte), Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Department(s) Mathematics and Computer Science Institutes and others JADS Den Bosch Reference number V32.5957 Job description Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) Den Bosch, isproud to start ...
Ph D Position Development And Application Of High Performance Models For The Analysis Of European Energy Systems, Helmholtz, Germany, about 4 hours ago
Your Job: Modelling and analysis of the European energy markets Modeling and analysis of Europeans power and gas grids Development of energy scenarios Development of a data basis and models for th...