The Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (www.leibniz-zmt.de ) in Bremen is a member of the Leibniz Association, which is supported by the German Federal and State Governments. Through its research, ZMT contributes to developing science-based strategies for sustainable use of tropical coastal systems.
The ZMT has one position available for a
Student Assistant (f/m/d)
to support the research group “Resource Management” for Project HUMBOLDT-TIPPING.
(Reference number: Humboldt-157)
- Collate available sources of oceanographic data from public data bases and published literature
- Identify the data source best suited to the demands of the modelling work and report on nature and uncertainty of the underlying sampling and extrapolation
- Provide the data it in a form best suited as input to R
- Undertake the same endeavour for data on abundance, distribution and, where available, recruitment and productivity of key species of the HUS.
- Bachelor or Master student with a background in Marine Biology & Ecology, Oceanography, or related fields, with an interest in the ecology of upwelling ecosystems
This work requires knowledge of biological oceanography and an independent working knowledge of R. No coding supervision can be provided by the project advisor. Help in identifying suitable data sets and sources and data output formats can be provided, if necessary.
Working knowledge of Spanish is an asset, as are experience in having worked with data from Peruvian fishing and oceanographic authorities and the Instituto del Mar del Perú.
- Able to follow directions and complete required tasks on time
- Patience and attentive consideration to details of the working tasks at hand
- Effective time management and planning
Details of Position:
- 10 hours per week or up to maximum 40 hours per month
- Start date is flexible, but ideally February 2020
- Possibility for extension to the following semesters and related BSc and MSc thesis topics
For additional information, please contact Dr. Moritz Stäbler (moritz.staebler(at)leibniz-zmt.de )
- An exciting working environment in an interdisciplinary and internationally oriented institute and research project
- Possibilities to build and extend an international professional network and participate in a research field of high public and scientific interest
- A family-friendly working environment
ZMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with a migration background are welcome. Disabled persons with comparable qualification receive preferential status.
With a diving certificate and diving experience we give you the opportunity for further qualification in this area and the opportunity to participate in research expeditions.
Submission of Application: If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your application letter including a short CV and the reference number “Humboldt- 157” via E-Mail as a single pdf file to Ms. Lena Oehlmann (bewerbung(at)leibniz-zmt.de ) by January, 24, 2020.
Government Scholarships Programme Paraguay Becal Daad Promotion • Daad, DAAD, Germany, 1 day ago
Overview Eine Druckversion dieser Ausschreibung (PDF) steht Ihnen in den weiteren Registerkarten (z.B. „Bewerbungsvoraussetzungen“) zur Verfügung. A print version of this announcement (PDF) is ava...
Ph D Student Philosophy Taxonomy, Hasselt University, Belgium, 2 days ago
The Faculty of Sciences, capacity group Biology - Geology, research institute Research Institute: Centre for Environmental Sciences of Hasselt University seeks a (m/f) PhD student philosophy-taxon...
Senior Fellowship, Zukunftskolleg, University of Konstanz, New Zealand, 1 day ago
Senior Fellows are established guest scholars from the natural sciences, humanities or social sciences who join the Zukunftskolleg for a research stay and work with the fellows. This support and i...
Post Doctoral Candidate, Novartis, Switzerland, 1 day ago
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Technology, or related fields in natural sciences with experience in formulation and analytical development of protein therapeutics and ideally parenteral extended releas...
Using Data Assimilation And Weather Forecasts In Irrigation Scheduling (Ph D Scholarship), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1 day ago
With the development of cheap and autonomous soil sensors that transmit information about the soil directly and continuously to data servers, farmers may have now access to unprecedented real-time...
Postdoc (Ph D) Position For Development Of A Probabilistic Design Method For Rock Groynes (Ci Tg20.12), Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Postdoc (PhD) position for development of a probabilistic design method for rock groynes Department/faculty: Faculty Civil Engineering and Geosciences Level: University Graduate Working hours: 36-...