The Collaborative Research Centre SFB 1076 "AquaDiva - Understanding the Links between Surface and Subsurface Biogeosphere" is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG). AquaDiva is an ambitious research centre with more than 70 researchers and institutes at four faculties of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU) and three non-university research institutes in Jena or Leipzig. AquaDiva combines different research areas such as ecology, microbiology, hydrogeology, soil science, geomorphology, geochemistry, geology, geophysics, chemistry, and information science, to a comprehensive picture of subsurface research (www.aquadiva.uni-jena.de
The Collaborative Research Centre AquaDiva invites applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher Position Microbial Metabolomics (m/f/d) at the Instrumental Analytics Group, Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (FSU).
This project aims to give insight into the chemical diversity and metabolic activities in the Critical Zone (CZ). We use state-of-the-art mass spectrometry-based metabolomics to identify new marker compounds for the elucidation of biogeochemical processes in this environment. We focus our resrarch activities on answering the questions: what is the qualitative input signal in the upper soil layer? Which biological and environmental factors influence the molecular composition of dissoved organic matter? Which new marker compounds can be identified and validated, in order to study biogeochemical processes? Which metabolites and metabolic processes in particulate organic matter can be linked dissolved organic matter signatures?
- Optimization of extraction and analysis methods (high resolution GC/MS and LC/MS will be applied)
- Data analysis using multiple statistical approaches
- Analysis of seepage water and groundwater for prevalent and trace organic compounds
- Analysis of microbial transformation products in model cultures within seepage water
- Planning and running of joint (field) experiments in the Hainich Critical Zone Exploratory
- Directon of Bachelor and Master theses
- Presentation and publicaton of data