JCNS - Jülich Centre for Neutron Science
Area of research:
We are looking for candidates interested in joining our international team to perform exciting research with neutrons in the focal areas of JCNS. PhD students will be co-supervised by scientists from Garching and Jülich. Research subjects may include, but are not limited to:In the area of soft matter:
- in situ, time-resolved scattering experiments on self-assembly processes
- binary 2D- and 3D-polymer nanocomposites
- folding and phase behavior of intrinsically disordered proteins
In solid state research:
- coupling between order parameters in multiferroic and multicaloric materials
- interface effects in heterostructures of correlated electron systems
- exotic magnetic order and emergent excitations in quantum materials
- Master (for application as PhD student) or Doctorate (for application as Postdoc) in condensed matter physics, chemistry, materials sciences and engineering or related fields e.g. crystallography
- Strong written and oral English communication skills
- Proven track record in soft matter or solid-state research
- Knowledge of scattering methods is desired, but not mandatory
- Initiative character, creativity, good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, result orientation and analytical skills
- Opportunity to work on topical challenges with access to cutting-edge and partly unique instruments, laboratory facilities and the excellent infrastructure of one of Europe’s largest research establishments
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. via a comprehensive further training programme
- Participation in conferences and in experiments at international large-scale facilities
- Attractive flexible working hours and a broad offer to arrange business and family
- For the PhD program: Usually a contract for the duration of 3 years in line with a 75% of the salary 13 TVÖD Bund position; the successful candidate will receive the PhD from the RWTH Aachen University
- For the Postdoc program: Temporary employment for 2 years with the option for a Prolongation. Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD). Depending on the applicant`s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks, salary grade 13 or 14 TVöD-Bund
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
Place of employment: Garching (Munich)Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations. We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
Ph D Fellow In Condensed Matter Theory, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 6 hours ago
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in condensed matter theory commencing 1 October 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter. Descript...
Ph D Scholarship In Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
We are looking for a talented and persistent young researcher interested in taking on the scientific challenges of our open PhD position. The project is predominant focused on experimental work wi...
Ph D Student Laboratory For Experimental Condensed Matter Physics , University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 22 hours ago
Department : Department of Physics Regime : Full-time PhD student position At the physics department of the University of Antwerp (UA), Belgium, a PhD student position is available in the Laborato...
Ph D Scholarship In In Situ Structural Catalyst Characterization, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
The National Centre for Nanofabrication and Characterization at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is seeking a PhD student to work on structural and chemical characterization of nanopartic...
Ph D Position In The Physics Of Water And Ice, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 16 days ago
Of all known liquids, water is the least understood, and the origin of its anomalous properties is hotly debated. In this research project you will investigate the chemical physics of water in nan...
Ph D Scholarship In Deep Sub Wavelength Time Resolved Near Field Spectroscopy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 3 hours ago
A 3-year PhD position is available in the Ultrafast Infrared and Terahertz Science group at DTU Fotonik at the Technical University of Denmark with specific focus on the development and applicatio...