The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM) is a member of the Leibniz Association. With about 270 employees, it is Germany's largest institution for research, treatment and training in the field of tropical and new emerging infectious diseases.
The Structural Virology group within the Department of Virology at BNITM in Hamburg is looking for a highly motivated
PhD student (m/w/d)
(65% EG 13 TV-AVH)
For a collaborative project with the Fraunhofer IME Screeningport aiming at the development of inhibitors against emerging RNA viruses, we seek a highly motivated candidate to conduct a project involving assay development, compound screening and cell-based assays within an international team of scientists.
What we expect:
- Completed Master's degree in biochemistry or a related field
- Solid knowledge in biochemistry and molecular biology
- Practical experience in protein expression and purification as well as molecular biology and cell culture
- Eligibility, willingness and physical fitness to work in biosafety level (BSL) 3 and 4 laboratories, successful security clearance required
- Knowledge in virology and cell biology in a strong plus
- Practical experience in cell culture and virology is a strong plus
- Motivation to learn new methods
- Fluent oral and written English
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently and creatively
- Detailed documentation of experiments and presentation of results
- Strong team spirit and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to supervise and train students at the bachelor and master level
- Willingness to work both at BNITM and Fraunhofer IME Screeningport (Hamburg)
What we offer:
- An interesting and challenging project in a modern research institution in collaboration with the Fraunhofer IME Screeningport
- Integration into an open-minded, motivated and highly supportive team
- A central location at the Landungsbrücken, which is easily accessible by public transport
- 30 days holidays per year
- Flexible and family-friendly working hours
- Childcare subsidy
- Subsidy for HVV-ProfiTicket (local transportation)
- Company pension scheme
- Opportunities for further education and training
- Special conditions in selected sports and fitness clubs in Hamburg
The position is available for 42 months starting January 1st 2021. Remuneration is in accordance with the German salary scheme for the public service (TV-AVH). For the activity in the BSL-4 lab, health suitability and a successful security clearance by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and Counterterrorism (Ü2) are necessary.
We support our employees in achieving a work-life balance and promote the professional equality of women and men. We strive to assist women in their scientific career, increase the number of women in research and reduce under-representation in all areas and positions in general. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference when equally qualified.
Please apply by 20.11.2020 preferably online with a single pdf file containing the required documents (letter of motivation, detailed CV, all university certificates with grades and if applicable contact details of 2 references) via our online formhttps://jobs.bnitm.de/PhD-student-mwd-65-EG-13-TV-AVH--de-f108.html.
Alternatively you can send documents using the reference "PhD_StructuralVirology“ by postal mail to Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Human Resources, Ms Jeannette Meurer, Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany.
If you have any questions regarding the formal application process or the selection procedure, please contact Jeannette Meurer from the Human Resources Department (meurer(at)bnitm.de ).
For all other questions please contact Dr. Maria Rosenthal (rosenthal(at)bnitm.de , +49 (0) 40 42818-930) or visit our group homepage https://www.bnitm.de/forschung/forschungsgruppen/molekularbiologie-und-immunologie/abteilung-virologie/bmbf-junior-research-group-rosenthal/ .
Ph D Student / Research Associate, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany, 8 days ago
The position is available as of now. The position is funded according to § 2 WissZeitVG and § 65 HHG with the opportunity of own scientific training. The salary of the position is determined by pa...
Ph D Student (M/F/D) In Immunology , Technical University of Munich, Germany, 1 day ago
18.01.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal The research group of Dr. Katrin Böttcher is looking for a PhD student interested in understanding local immune regulation in the liver. Our research group ...
Ph D Student (F/M/X): Neurosciences Vesicular Trafficking And Local Axonal Translation In Sma, Medical Center Cologne (MCC), Germany, 18 days ago
*PhD Student (f/m/x) Neurosciences: vesicular trafficking and axonal local translation in spinal muscular atrophy* for the next possible date parttime (25h/week) limited for 3 years according to W...
Ph D Student (Gn), University Hospital of Muenster (UKM), WWU, Germany, 22 days ago
The European Institute for Molecular Imaging at University of Muenster, Germany, is offering a position, limited to 4 years, as a PhD Student (gn*) Ref. 05523 Part-Time with 65% Salary according t...
Ph D Student (M/F/D) , Universitätsmedizin Göttingen, Germany, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine of the University Medical Center Göttingen offers the following position: Limitation: initially limited to 3 years Working period: part time (...
Ph D Candidate, University of Crete, Greece, 7 days ago
Study of the molecular physiology of cancer stem cells (CBCs) that is responsible for the acquisition of cancer cell therapeutic resistance, aggressiveness and high metastatic potential. Specifica...