The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 employees and research institutions in six federal states. Within SGN, the Senckenberg Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (BiK-F) explores the interactions between biodiversity, climate, and society.
Within an integrated multi-partner project on Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) in order to achieve the Paris climate goals,SBiK-F invites applications for a
PhD student (m/f/d)
addressing the biodiversity impacts of different terrestrial CDR methods and scenarios globally and in Germany.
(36 months, E13 TV-H, 75%)
The project is part of the BMBF program on terrestrial, geological and material-based CDR and a parallel program on marine CDR methods, which aim to provide a systematic and comprehensive science basis of potentials, risks and side-effects in the Earth system of various CDR methods and pathways.
The PhD student should develop fundamental research on the side effects of terrestrial CDR methods on biodiversity. The research will be developed in close collaboration with a team of scientists specialized in vegetation and land surface modelling, land use change scenarios, terrestrial organic carbon cycling and climate impact assessments. Global CDR scenarios, including the telecoupling effects of policy decisions in Germany should be analysed in relation to global indicators and hotspots of biodiversity. This work will be supported by the IPBES technical support unit for data, which is also hosted by SBiK-F. In collaboration with the project “Researching and preserving biodiversity in Germany“ (FEdA,https://www.feda.bio/en/ ) data and knowledge concerning the impacts of different CDR systems in Germany on biodiversity should be synthesized in order to assess CDR scenarios for Germany. Together with the project partners, synergies and trade-offs between climate mitigation, food security and the protection of biodiversity should be assessed. The outcomes of the research should inform stakeholder and policy actions at the German and the global scale.
- Analyse how different terrestrial CDR scenarios might affect biodiversity in Germany and globally.
- Synthetisise data and knowledge on the impact of terrestrial CDR methods on biodiversity.
- Assess trade-offs and synergies between the protection of biodiversity, climate mitigation and food security.
- Disseminate your results in international peer-reviewed scientific journals and more stakeholder-oriented formats (e.g. webportals, policy briefs)
- Master in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Sciences, Geography or related fields
- Deep understanding of biodiversity and nature conservation in Germany and at the global scale
- Experience with biodiversity databases and analyses, e.g. in R or Phyton
- Interest into interdisciplinary research collaboration
- Interest in basic and applied research including interactions with policy and stakeholders
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English
- At least basic reading and oral communication skills in German
What is awaiting you?
- An interesting and relevant task in a large interdisciplinary research team
- Becoming a member of dynamic team at Senckenberg specialized in biodiversity and ecosystem modelling
- The possibility to build and extend your network with scientists at an international level and to attend national and international conferences
- Flexible working hours – annual special payment – company pension scheme – Senckenberg badge for free entry in museums in Frankfurt, the zoo, botanical garden and Palmengarten – leave of 30 days/year – a job ticket subsidy for public transport
Salary and benefits are in accordance with a public service position in Germany (E 13 TV-H, 75%). The contract shall start as soon as possible and will be limited to 36 months.
Senckenberg support equal opportunity of women and men, and therefore strongly invites women to apply. Equally qualified handicapped applicants will be given preference. The duty station will be at the SBiK-F, Frankfurt am Main, Germany. Several meetings/workshops in Germany and across EU are expected. The employer is the Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung.
Please send your application until November 20th 2021 by e-mail (attachment in a single pdf file), mentioning the reference of this position (Ref. #11-21020) and including a letter outlining your suitability and motivation, detailed CV, list of publications, and contact details of two potential references to recruiting(at)senckenberg.de .
For scientific enquiries please contact thomas.hickler(at)senckenberg.de .
Ph D Position “Effects Of Agricultural Trade On Global And Local Biodiversity”, Senckenberg Gesellschaft fuer Naturforschung, Germany, about 1 hour ago
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with more than 800 em...
Doctoral Researcher Position (All Genders Welcome) (Functional Agrobiodiversity Group) (Id 100972), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Einrichtung: Functional Agrobiodiversity group (ID 100972) Ansprechpartner: Dr. Annika Hass Besetzungsdatum: 01.03.2022 Veröffentlichungsdatum: 24.11.2021 The Functional Agrobiodiversity group at ...
Ph D Position In Plant Systematics (M/F/D) (Department Of Systematics, Biodiversity And Evolution Of Plants) (Id 15856), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Einrichtung: Department of Systematics, Biodiversity and Evolution of Plants (ID 15856) Ansprechpartner: Dr. Salvatore Tomasello Besetzungsdatum: ab sofort Veröffentlichungsdatum: 04.11.2021 The D...
Bioinformatics Postdoctoral Position In The Field Of Plant Microbe Interactions (F/M/D), University of Cologne, Germany, 6 days ago
Bioinformatics postdoctoral position in the field of plant-microbe interactions (f/m/d) Institute for Plant Sciences The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive uni...
Doctorate Position (F/M/D), University of Cologne, Germany, 14 days ago
Doctorate Position (f/m/d) Department of Mathematics and Computer Science The University of Cologne is one of the largest and most research-intensive universities in Germany, offering a wide range...
Postdoc Position (F/M/D) (Institute Of Zoology And Anthropology) (Id 15872), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Einrichtung: Institute of Zoology and Anthropology (ID 15872) Ansprechpartner: Prof. Dr. Stefan Scheu Besetzungsdatum: ab sofort Veröffentlichungsdatum: 15.11.2021 The Institute of Zoology and Ant...