The Leibniz-Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) aims for excellence in horticultural research and related plant, environmental, nutritional and social sciences. IGZ is based in Großbeeren close to Berlin and is a member of the Leibniz Association (WGL). IGZ conducts strategic and international research for the sustainable production and use of vegetables, contributing to food security, human well-being and the conservation of natural resources. At IGZ, researchers from different disciplines work together on core-funded and grant-funded projects, in collaboration with national and international research partners.
Starting from 1st of June 2021 we are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious
PhD student in “Understanding specifier proteins in glucosinolate hydrolysis pathways in Brassica”
Reference Number: 04/2021/3
to join our lab at the earliest possible date. The employment will be initially for three years. The conferral of a doctorate is possible at the Faculty of Science of the University of Potsdam. The salary will be based on qualification and research experience according to the wage agreement TV-L, salary domain east, up to EG 13 (up to 65% of the regular working time).
The PhD student will be part of the research group „OPTIGLUP-Optimization of Glucosinolate Degradation Pathways“ which is funded by the Leibniz-Association in the programme "Leibniz-Best Minds" and internationally well connected. The group investigates the relationship between formation, degradation and follow-up reactions of secondary plant metabolites and health promoting effects using state-of-the-art methods and instruments. To understand the role of specifier proteins in glucosinolate hydrolysis pathways in Brassica, the PhD-student will use complementary instrumental analytical and molecular biology methods to investigate the distribution, expression, activity and specificity of proteins, which are involved in glucosinolate hydrolysis (Witzel, K. et al. 2019. Frontiers in Plant Science, 10, 1552, Hanschen, F. S., et al. 2018 Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 124, 126-135).
- identification and quantification of plant secondary metabolites
- design and execution of plant growth experiments and of analytical measurements using GC-MS and HPLC-MS
- usage of molecular biology methods: primer design, mRNA-extraction, PCR, RT-PCR, qRT PCR, electrophoresis, sequencing, protein expression and isolation
- documentation of experiments
- supervision of bachelor and master students
- writing scientific publications and presentation of results to international scientific audience
We are looking for highly motivated candidates with the following qualifications and profile
- a Master (M. Sc.) or equivalent degree in biology, biochemistry, food chemistry or a related field
- working experience in instrumental analytical methods such as GC-MS, HPLC-MS
- experience in plant cultivation technologies as well as in plant extraction methods for extraction of metabolites, nucleic acids, proteins
- readiness to learn usage of different analytical software
- experiences with Excel for evaluation of results
- readiness to work together with students and technicians
- high sense of responsibility, accurateness, and ability to focus
- readiness to integrate into an international working environment
- English language communication skills, knowledge of German is advantageous and ability to work in a team
- the possibility to contribute to an exciting project with importance for human nutrition
- a challenging job in plant sciences
- a place of employment located close to the city of Berlin with state-of-the art research facilities
- participation in a successful, dedicated and team-oriented research group
- flexible and family-friendly working time models
- Very good further education opportunities
Please send a strong motivation letter stating why this is an interesting topic for you and why you have the right attitude and expertise to contribute to the project and make progress in this field. Also send your CV, copies of highschool and academic certificates.
More information on about the IGZ you can find under www.igzev.de . For questions please contact: Dr. habil. Franziska Hanschen, head of the research group OPTIGLUP (++49(0)33701 78 250; email@example.com ).
We support the compatibility of work, family and care. The IGZ is an equal opportunity employer. Handicapped people with equal qualifications will be employed preferentially. The IGZ wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, religion or ethnic background.
Ph D Position In Insect Chemical Ecology And Evolutionary Biology (4 Year Appointment) , University of Zurich, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
Department of Systematic and Evolutionary Botany PhD Position in Insect Chemical Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (4-year appointment) 60 % I am seeking a highly motivated PhD student to join my ER...
Postdoctoral Position (M/F/D) | Cross Kingdom Metabolic Interactions In The Root Microbiome , Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, Germany, 21 days ago
Job Code: Job Offer from April 15, 2021 The Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) in Cologne, Germany, invites applications for a postdoctoral position in the field of microbia...
Doctoral Researcher (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 6 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de ) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and ident...
Ph D Student In Molecular Mechanisms Underpinning Plant Nitrogen Uptake, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 11 days ago
The Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology was founded in the late 1970s - when the College of Forestry moved to Umeå. The number of employees has since grown steadily is now around 10...
Ph D Position In Plant Epigenomics , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 2 hours ago
20.04.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal A PhD position in plant epigenomics is available in the Johannes lab at the Technical University of Munich (Germany) (www.johanneslab.org). Description: DNA...
Postdoc Position Molecular And Biochemical Analysis Of Novel Types Of Race Specific Resistance Genes From Wheat , University of Zurich, Switzerland, about 7 hours ago
Institut of Plant and Microbial Biology Postdoc Position - Molecular and Biochemical Analysis of Novel Types of Race-Specific Resistance Genes from Wheat 80-100 % The Institute of Plant and Microbi...