The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable agriculture – together with society. ZALF is a member of the Leibniz Association and located in Müncheberg (approx. 35 minutes by regional train from Berlin-Lichtenberg). It also maintains a research station with further locations in Dedelow and Paulinenaue.
We are offering a PhD position within the project the integrated priority project “Cropping system diversification to increase the resilience of farming systems”. The project aims at gaining knowledge on how to grow mixed cropping systems in Brandenburg, Germany and developing predictive tools to assess their resilience under climate change. The project is composed of three sub-projects, with respective focuses on process understanding, predictive modelling and economic assessment. Within sub-project 3, we aim to analyse the economic resilience of typical farms in Brandenburg based on novel mixed cropping systems and their agro-ecological impacts. The PhD position is based within the ZALF Research Area 3 Agricultural Landscape Systems in the working group Farm Economics and Ecosystem Services for three years (TVL13, 65%) starting from April 2021.
PhD student in Agricultural Economics (m/f/d) on
“Modelling economic resilience of farms under climate change”
- Contribute to data collection and the further development of the existing whole farm mathematical programming modelling approach.
- Analyse the economic performance of different current and novel diversified cropping systems under different agro-ecological conditions and climate scenarios by integrating crop model output.
- Analyse the economic resilience of typical farms in Brandenburg taking novel mixed cropping systems and their agro-ecological impacts into account.
- Develop and analyse policy instruments to support provision of ecosystem services and biodiversity.
- Collaborate with PhD students and experienced researchers within the project and the working group.
- Contribute to the overarching goals of the research project team.
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Master of science in agricultural economics (or similar qualifications)
- First experience in farm level surveys, data management and good statistical knowledge
- Experience in economic modelling tools (knowledge of GAMS is an asset)
- Driving license (advantage)
- Excellent communication skills in English and German
- Good teamwork skills and willingness to collaborate across disciplines
- Interdisciplinary working environment that encourages independence
- Membership in ZALF’s graduate program (incl. benefit from skill training courses)
- Strong institutional commitment to a good work-life balance
- Classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L) EG13 with a 65% weekly working time (including special annual payment)
- A collegial and open-minded working atmosphere in a dynamic research institution
Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons with equal qualifications are favoured. Please send your application by e-mail including a letter of motivation in English, CV, proof of qualification, transcript of records and certificates, and the names and contact information for three references stating the reference number 97-2020 as one PDF file, max. 5 MB before January 24, 2021 to: Bewerbungen@zalf.de.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact: Dr. Peter Zander (Phone +49(0)33432/82-214; email@example.com )
For cost reasons, your application documents or extensive publications can only be returned if an adequately stamped envelope is attached. If you apply, we collect and process your personal data in accordance with Articles 5 and 6 of the EU GDPR only for the processing of your application and for purposes that result from possible future employment with the ZALF. Your data will be deleted after six months.
You can find further information at: www.zalf.de/en/ueber_uns/Pages/Datenschutzerklaerung.aspx
Post Doctoral Earth System Modeler (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The climate needs bright minds. The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK) addresses crucial scientific questions in the fields of global change, climate impacts and sustainable devel...
Ph D Position (M/F/D) In Plant Physiology And Molecular Biology , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 20 hours ago
25.02.2021, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of plant breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences invites applications for a PhD position (TV-L E13, 75%), sta...
Ph D Student In Aquatic Microbial Ecology (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
For department Experimental Limnology of IGB in in Stechlin-Neuglobsow (80 km north of Berlin) we are inviting in the frame of the Priority Programme of the German Science Foundation (DFG) entitle...
Doctoral Researcher Position (All Genders Welcome) (Functional Agrobiodiversity ) (Id 100806), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, 3 days ago
Einrichtung: Functional Agrobiodiversity (ID 100806) Ansprechpartner: Dr. Annika Hass, Prof. Dr. Catrin Westphal Besetzungsdatum: 01.04.2021 Veröffentlichungsdatum: 26.01.2021 The Functional Agro...
Ph D Student In Epidemiology (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine (BNITM, www.bnitm.de ) is the largest Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Germany and member of the Leibniz Research Association, the Nat...
Post Doc Position (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 1 day ago
The Senckenberg Gesellschaft für Naturforschung (SGN) is a member of the Leibniz Association and is based in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. SGN conducts natural history research with almost 800 emplo...