With its work, the Leibniz Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) contributes to a better understanding of plant systems and thus to the development of sustainable and resilient horticulture. The IGZ conducts research at the interface between plants, humans and the environment. In doing so, we address systemic and global challenges such as biodiversity loss, climate change, urbanization and malnutrition. We provide scientifically sound recommendations for healthy agri-food systems and sustainable interactions with the environment. The IGZ brings together a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines. Employees with different backgrounds conduct research in national and international research co-operations. The IGZ is based in Großbeeren near Potsdam and near Berlin and is a member of the Leibniz Association.
The following position is available in the Institute from 01.02.2024, limited for three years, within the DFG-funded project "Molecular Regulation and ecological consequences of chemodiversity in Solanum dulcamara”:
PhD student (f,m,div) in Chemical Ecology of Plant Biotic Interactions
Reference number: 32/2023/D
The salary will be based on qualification and research experience according to the wage agreement TV-L, up to pay scale 13, 65% of the regular working time. The conferral of a doctorate is possible at Friedrich Schiller University Jena.
This position will be embedded in the research group “Plant Biotic Interactions”, which aims to unravel the molecular and chemical mechanisms governing interactions between plants and organisms in their environment. The PhD project is part of the research unit FOR 3000 "Ecology and Evolution of Intraspecific Chemodiversity in Plants" (https://uni-bielefeld.de/chemodiversity/ ) comprising nine multidisciplinary teams spread over Germany. The aim of this PhD project is to understand how root chemodiversity in Solanum dulcamara influences belowground interactions and how intra-individual chemodiversity is molecularly regulated.
- designing and performing experiments with plants, insects, nematodes and beneficial fungi
- analyzing plant metabolomes on GC-MS and LC-MS analytical platforms
- gene expression analyses using qPCR
- data processing and statistical analyses
- sharing metabolomics/volatile data in public repositories based on FAIR Principles
- presentations of project results at national and international conferences
- writing scientific publications in internationally peer-reviewed journals
- participation in workshops with FG 3000 project partners
We are looking for candidates with
- a master degree in biology, plant sciences or equivalent, with emphasis on chemical ecology
- experience with growing plants, designing and carrying out biological experiments and/or bioassays
- experience with chemical analysis on GC- or LC-MS, preferably hands-on
- experience with qPCR analyses
- basic knowledge of statistics, preferably including multivariate statistical analyses
- fluent in the English language, good communication skills
- good scientific writing skills in the English language
- a responsible personality who enjoys working in (international) teams
- an inspiring and dynamic research environment, including state-of-the art research facilities
- a committed and competent team and a challenging job combining fundamental and applied plant science
- a vibrant and international community of scientists close to Potsdam and Berlin
- flexible and family-friendly working time models and the possibility of mobile working (up to 50% of working time)
Further information about the IGZ can be found on the Internet at www.igzev.de. For questions, please contact: Prof. Nicole van Dam (vandam(at)igzev.de ; phone: +49-33701 - 78 105).
We encourage a healthy work-life balance. The IGZ attaches great importance to equal opportunities. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications. The IGZ embraces diversity in its workforce, and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, world view, disability and belief or ethnic origin.
We prefer to receive applications, including a motivation letter, your CV, copies of academic certificates and the names and addresses of two references by email to bewerbung(at)igzev.de in pdf format by 12.12.2023 . Our postal address is: Personalbüro, Institute for Vegetable and Ornamental Crops, Theodor-Echtermeyer-Weg 1, D-14979 Großbeeren.
Seed Coats As Inspiration For Sustainable Packaging (2 X Ph D), University of Salzburg, Austria, 15 days ago
12 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Salzburg Department Chemistry and Physics of Materials Research Field Biological sciences » Biodiversity Physics » Biophysics Enginee...
Ph D Student Position Optoribogenetic University Of Bonn, LIMES Institute, University of Bonn, Germany, 5 days ago
22 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company LIMES Institute, University of Bonn Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Germany Application D...
Ph D Position On Plant Microbiome Signalling, Utrecht University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
17 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Utrecht University Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 17 Mar 2024 - 22:...
Ph D Position (M/F/D) Modelling Of Smart Technologies For African Livestock Systems , Technical University of Munich, Germany, 1 day ago
06.02.2024, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Livestock Systems research group at the TUM School of Science in Freising is recruiting a PhD student (m/f/d) to work on evaluating smart technologies a...
Ph D Position (F/M/D), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, 12 days ago
PhD position (f/m/d) Stellen-ID: 2750 Facility: Institute for Microbiology and Genetics Contact person: Prof. Dr. Jan de Vries [email protected] 0551 39-23755 Date of filling: As s...
Ph D Studentship : Identifying Agro Food Industry By Products And Agroecological Applications Stimulating Soil Microbiome Control Of The Parasitic Weed Striga , ;, Kenya, 19 days ago
Project Description: The project focuses on the control of the parasitic weed Striga (S. hermonthica and S. asiatica) in sorghum, millet and rice crops in Senegal, Tanzania and Ethiopia. Both Stri...