11 Sep 2023
Leibniz Institute for New Materials
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
30 Sep 2023 - 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
To be defined
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
To be defined
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are seeking PhD students with a background in biology, biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry or physics to join our “Immuno-Materials” group and work on the development of advanced synthetic cell systems for applications at the intersection of cancer immunotherapy and immunoregulatory materials.
INM’s research group Immuno-Materials investigates how microscale cell-like materials can be formed such that they combine multiple life-like functionalities and can be integrated into living systems. For this we apply organoid cultures, bottom-up synthetic biology and microfluidics to reconstitute immunoregulatory processes for therapeutic applications. In our new projects Synthetic Tumor Immune Microenvironments and Synthetic Lymphatic Tissues we invite applications for three
PHD STUDENTs (F/M/D)
on development of new synthetic cell composites for immunotherapy positions, starting on November 1st, 2023 (with some flexibility).
- Design and characterize synthetic cell models with immunological properties.
- Investigate immunoregulatory interactions between synthetic cells, cancer cells and immune cells.
- Develop new strategies to culture tumor organoids for immunotherapeutic purposes.
- Investigate the activation of primary human immune cells by synthetic cell materials.
- Master’s degree in biology, biochemistry, biophysics, chemistry, physics, or a related field.
- Interest and possibly experience in biohybrids, synthetic biology or organoid culture.
- Previous experience with cell culture, advanced light microscopy imaging, electron microscopy or transcriptome profiling is beneficial.
- Very good communication and writing skills and thorough command of the English language. German language skills are beneficial but no required.
You will work
- on scientifically interesting and technically relevant challenges in a motivated research group that collaborates with leading researchers and institutions,
- in an institute that supports you to perform high-quality research and to present and publish your research results,
- in an interdisciplinary and international institute with excellent infrastructure,
- at the heart of the Greater Region (Germany, France, Luxemburg, Belgium)
A comprehensive benefits package (flexible working hours, mobile working, company pension scheme) with a 3-year contract based on TV-L E13 60% remuneration with the possibility to increase based on transparent performance criteria.
Interested? We are looking forward to receiving your application (motivation letter and CV, if possible one reference letter) by September 30th, 2023. Please send it via e-mail (single pdf file < 5 MB) to Dr. Oskar Staufer:
E-mail: info.IMM@leibniz-inm.de • Reference: “PhD: Immuno Materials”
The INM – Leibniz Institute for New Materials in Saarbrücken, Germany, is an internationally leading center for materials research, with a particular focus on biomaterials and biointerfaces, and their exploitation for medical applications.
The INM practices an open and appreciative corporate culture in which the existing diversity is promoted and lived. The institute is an equal opportunity employer with a certified family-friendly policy, and it provides offers for a better work-life balance, flextime, and mobile working. We promote professional opportunities for women and strongly encourage them to apply. Severely disabled applicants with equal qualifications and aptitude will be given preferential consideration.
- Number of offers available
- Leibniz Institute for New Materials
Where to apply
Ph D Position (E13, 65 %) At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 9 days ago
PhD position (E13, 65 %) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.rcii.de/en/ ), formerly RCI...
Ph D Student Position In Formulating Delivery Vehicles For Cartilage Recovery, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 9 hours ago
We are offering a truly interdisciplinary early-stage research experience where you will work at the interface of cell biology and material development. You will actively interact with diverse sci...
Doctoral (Ph D) Position: Exploring The Role Of Cell Size On Aging Of Human Hematopoietic Stem Cells, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 13 hours ago
To be a doctoral student means to devote oneself to a research project under supervision of experienced researchers and following an individual study plan. For a doctoral degree, the equivalent of...
Ph D Or Postdoc Position In Multicellular Modelling Of The Impact Of Extracellular Matrix On Tumour Cell Migration (1.0 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Print this page PhD or Postdoc position in Multicellular Modelling of the Impact of Extracellular Matrix on Tumour Cell Migration (1.0 FTE) Job description Join the Tsingos group to model the im...
Ph D Student (M/F/D) In Plant Biochemistry, Leibniz, Germany, about 13 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry (IPB) in Halle (Saale), Germany, offers a three-year position in the project TERRAPHOS within the frame of the DFG-funded Priority Program 2237 “MAdLand...
Ph D Position In The Field Of Neuroimmunology, Mouse Modelling And Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells, VIB, Belgium, about 23 hours ago
In the framework of the interuniversity research project HOUDINI we are seeking a PhD student eager to contribute to the development and characterization of a humanized mouse model for Charcot-Mar...