02.07.2020, Wissenschaftliches Personal
The flight safety working group of the Institute of Flight System Dynamics is searching for a PhD scholarship candidate as of the earliest possible date.
The Institute of Flight System Dynamics (FSD) of the Technical University of Munich (TUM) encompasses a flight safety working group, researching in the area of quantifying risks in aviation. Therefore, we are working on predictive analysis methods that combine physically motivated air vehicle models with large-scale, statistical analyses of operational flight data.
In collaboration with TUM’s Chair of Applied Mathematical Statistics (AMS), we aim to investigate aviation accident scenarios, by combining FSDs knowledge of flight system dynamics with flexible, stochastic approaches that are developed at AMS. For this interdisciplinary field of research, we are offering a PhD scholarship to an aviation enthusiast, granted by TUM’s International Graduate School of Science and Engineering (IGSSE).
Your envisioned research
- Hands-on data engineering: Access several data sources such as Quick Access Recorder, ADS-B, Weather, Terrain, etc., enabling ample accident analyses
- Flight system dynamics: Develop physically motivated models for air vehicles and associated accident scenarios in aviation
- Model calibration: Combine physical and stochastic models and calibrate them, using real-world data
- Uncertainty quantification: Use accident models and real-world data to quantify (very low) probabilities of aviation accidents
- Excellent master’s degree in preferably aerospace or mechanical engineering (or similar)
- Expertise in system dynamics and probability theory
- Prior experience in coding in at least one of either Matlab, Python or C++
- Intrinsically motivated and keen on working in an international and interdisciplinary team
- A scholarship of €2000 per month for 36 months, to obtain a PhD from TUM
- Membership in TUM’s International Graduate School of Science and Engineering (IGSSE)
- Interdisciplinary and international research environment
- Extra funding for international travel (including a three-month research stay abroad)
Planned start of the scholarship is August/September 2020.
We do appreciate equal opportunities and diversity – therefore we particularly encourage women and persons of diverse gender to apply. Applicants with disabilities are treated with preference given comparable qualification.
Please send your application materials, including a CV, your degree with detailed transcript of records and supporting documentation via E-Mail , with subject line ‘Application CopFly’ , to:
In case of questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via E-Mail , using subject line ‘Query CopFly’ .
Institute of Flight System Dynamics
Technische Universität München
85748 Garching bei München
Deutschland / Germany
Data Protection Information:
When you apply for a position with the Technical University of Munich (TUM), you are submitting personal information. With regard to personal information, please take note of the Datenschutzhinweise gemäß Art. 13 Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (DSGVO) zur Erhebung und Verarbeitung von personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihrer Bewerbung. (data protection information on collecting and processing personal data contained in your application in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have acknowledged the above data protection information of TUM.
1 Scholarship description PDF version, (Type: application/pdf, Size: 148.4 kB) Save attachment
Ph D Project: Anticipating Future Stability Of Arctic Key Infrastructure Through Combination Of Geophysical Mapping And Permafrost Thermo Mechanical Modeling, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 6 days ago
DTU Civil Engineering is inviting applications for a 3-year PhD position starting October 2020. The Technical University of Munich (TUM) and DTU are strengthening their collaboration within Arctic...
Ph D / Postdoc Positions Diamond Quantum Sensors, Microscopy, Ai, TUM Walter Schottky Institut (WSI), Germany, 12 days ago
<p><strong>The quantum sensing group at the Walter Schottky Institute of TUM is offering PhD and Postdoc positions to join our work on novel sensors and their applications.</strong></p><h3>THE GRO...
Ph D Candidate Ui O:Nordic (Ref 188633), University of Oslo, Norway, 27 days ago
The fellowship period is 3 years, devoted to carrying out a PhD project within the thematic frames of the UiO:Nordic research project “The Ambivalence of Nordic Nature: Gift. Guilt. Grace”. The su...
Ph D Position In The Field Of Insect Production And Research, German Institute of Food Technologies, Germany, 26 days ago
With around 175 member companies from the food industry and related fields, the DIL operates as a research institute working in the areas of food product development, process development and food ...
Ph D In Large Scale Design Of Micro Bioreactor Experiments For Yeast Systems Biology, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 6 hours ago
The Department of Biology and Biological Engineering was founded January 1 2015, and started off with high ambitions. The aim was to grow and become a leading center of innovation by combining the...
Ph D Student For Corrosion Sensing Using Ai, CEST, Austria, 18 days ago
CEST is the Austrian Competence Center for applied electrochemistry and surface technology with owners from industry and science. Examples of our projects are the post-treatment of 3D printed comp...