The data needs for the future science operations like e.g., Synchrotrons, X-ray lasers, Particle detectors, Electron Microscopy, Neutron scattering, massive scientific computing simulations, etc. are clearly overwhelming the standard modes of operation. Artificial-Intelligence and Machine-Learning algorithms are presently being implemented to catch up to these needs, and scientists are investing in applying them to deal with heavy data flows from experiments and offline analysis. However, there are well-known challenges in latency, cost, and power consumption when implemented with traditional von Neumann computers. We therefore seek to explore the advantage of neuromorphic computing systems in terms of scaling, performance and energy efficiency for targeted scientific applications. Your tasks in detail:
- Analyze requirements of different scientific applications
- Merge bio-inspired computing paradigms to match with the requirements of selected field of scientific application(s)
- Build up simulation models to verify the functionality of the merged algorithms
- Implement simulations models on FPGA systems to benchmark with existing systems
- Implement (reduced) algorithms on existing memristor based neuromorphic computing nodes
- You hold a Masters degree in electrical/electronic engineering, computer engineering, physics, computer science, or related fields
- Coursework and experience with computer architecture, FPGAs, accelerators, and/or embedded systems is strongly desired
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a interdisciplinary team are essential
- Strong English skills will be required for the international working environment
We work on cutting-edge research topics with a high potential to positively impact society. We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A world-leading, international research environment with state-of-the-art equipment
- Opportunity to work in the highly interdisciplinary and exciting field of neuromorphic and brain-inspired computing, collaborating with physicists, neuroscientists, materials scientists, and engineers
- Flexible working arrangements
- 30 days of annual leave as well as an arrangement for bridging days (e.g. between Christmas and New Year’s Day)
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
More information: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/pgi/pgi-14
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Place of employment: Aachen
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position On Geochemical Processes And Multiphase Flow In Porous Media, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, 2 days ago
Your Job: Exploring geochemical processes (e.g. coupled mineral dissolution and precipitation) leading to gas generation in water saturated porous media to assess their consequences on solute tran...
Ph D Position Study The Protein / Protein Interface Energetics By Means Of Free Energy Calculations Performed Using Ml/Mm Potentials, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 20 hours ago
Your Job: Protein–protein interactions (PPIs) mediate a vast number of cellular pathways and processes, making them an important class of targets for drug discovery. However, decades of effort ai...
Ph D Position Sulfide Based Solid Electrolyte Materials For Battery Applications, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, 2 days ago
Your Job: The widespread adoption of Li-ion batteries can be found in devices ranging from small personal electronics to larger battery banks used in electric vehicles and stationary energy storag...
Ph D Position – High Performance Simulation Of Micron Scale Plasticity Of Crystalline Matter, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, 2 days ago
Your Job: The field of micron-scale plasticity is particularly interesting as size-dependent behaviour, intermittency and far-from-equilibrium processes directly show in the resulting mechanical p...
Ph D In Mathematical And Computer Vision Algorithms For Processing Light Fields Event Driven Data, IKERLAN, Spain, 6 days ago
23 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company IKERLAN Research Field Computer science » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Spain Application...
Ph D On Dataflow Driven Mapping Of Edge Ai Applications On Neuromorphic Platforms, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 18 days ago
PhD on dataflow-driven mapping of edge AI applications on neuromorphic platforms PhD on dataflow-driven mapping of edge AI applications on neuromorphic platforms Published Deadline Location yester...