The data needs for the future science operations like e.g., Synchrotrons, X-ray lasers, Particle detectors, Electron Microscopy, Neutron scattering, massive scientific computing simulations, etc. are clearly overwhelming the standard modes of operation. Artificial-Intelligence and Machine-Learning algorithms are presently being implemented to catch up to these needs, and scientists are investing in applying them to deal with heavy data flows from experiments and offline analysis. However, there are well-known challenges in latency, cost, and power consumption when implemented with traditional von Neumann computers. We therefore seek to explore the advantage of neuromorphic computing systems in terms of scaling, performance and energy efficiency for targeted scientific applications. Your tasks in detail:
- Analyze requirements of different scientific applications
- Merge bio-inspired computing paradigms to match with the requirements of selected field of scientific application(s)
- Build up simulation models to verify the functionality of the merged algorithms
- Implement simulations models on FPGA systems to benchmark with existing systems
- Implement (reduced) algorithms on existing memristor based neuromorphic computing nodes
- You hold a Masters degree in electrical/electronic engineering, computer engineering, physics, computer science, or related fields
- Coursework and experience with computer architecture, FPGAs, accelerators, and/or embedded systems is strongly desired
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a interdisciplinary team are essential
- Strong English skills will be required for the international working environment
We work on cutting-edge research topics with a high potential to positively impact society. We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A world-leading, international research environment with state-of-the-art equipment
- Opportunity to work in the highly interdisciplinary and exciting field of neuromorphic and brain-inspired computing, collaborating with physicists, neuroscientists, materials scientists, and engineers
- Flexible working arrangements
- 30 days of annual leave as well as an arrangement for bridging days (e.g. between Christmas and New Year’s Day)
- Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: https://www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
More information: https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/pgi/pgi-14
The position is for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: https://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Place of employment: Aachen
We welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds, e.g. in terms of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation / identity, and social, ethnic and religious origin. A diverse and inclusive working environment with equal opportunities in which everyone can realize their potential is important to us.
Ph D Position Extreme Events As "Windows Of Opportunity" For The Heat Transition? An Investigation Of Attitudes In The Population Towards Household Based Heat Supply Options, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Your Job: Development of socio-technical research questions Development of evidence-based decision recommendations for political, economic and civil society actors Presentation of scientific resul...
Ph D Position Development Of Metallic Materials For Additive Manufacturing And Hydrogen Related Applications, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Your Job: A hydrogen-based energy system represents a pathway towards decarbonization of many sectors. For example, for power generation stationary gas turbines are proposed to be running on varyi...
Ph D Studentship: Novel Neuromorphic, Radically Energy Efficient Training Algorithms For Action Recognition , ; University of Kent, Kenya, 4 days ago
Tuition fees and stipend at the standard Research Council rate (Home rate only: £4,596 (fees) and £17,668 (stipend) in 2022/23). The 2023/2024 rate is yet to be announced by the UK Research Counci...
Ph D Student In Robotics And Ai, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology experiences rapid growth with world-leading expertise within several research domains. We shape the future through innovative education and groundbreaking research r...
Ph D: Magnetic Nanodevices For Spintronic And Neuromorphic Applications, European Magnetism Association EMA, Spain, about 16 hours ago
Magnetic nanodevices display a wide variety of behaviors that resemble the properties of both neurons and synapses. Neuromorphic computing takes inspiration from the way the brain processes data t...
Ph D Position In Organic Electrosynthesis Heterogeneous Catalyst Under Real Time Monitoring, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany, about 11 hours ago
Your Job: You will be part of the Electrocatalysis research department ( https://www.hi-ern.de/hi-ern/Electrocatalysis ), which research area is to investigate fundamental relationships between e...