Start of announcement 07.04.2020
End of announcement 05.05.2020
Institute Institute of Coastal Research
Online-Application to email@example.com
Contact person Erika Krüger
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Department for Biogeochemistry in coastal seas, invites applications for a PhD position (m/f/d) with the topic ‘Benthic-pelagic particle dynamics and solute fluxes in permeable sediment impacted by bottom trawling’. The Position is limited for three years, starting as soon as possible.
Biogeochemistry of marine sediments is closely coupled to processes in the water column by exchange of particulate organic matter and oxygen. Turnover and transport processes of organic matter and its degradation products are significantly modulated by the activiy of macrofauna, but the present benthic system in the southern North Sea is significantly impacted by fisheries. The project will focus on quantifying this impact on the biogeochemical functioning of North Sea sediment with regard to the benthic turnover of carbon, iron, and nutrients. The place of employment is Geesthacht (Germany).
- analyses of sediment and water samples
- multivariate statistics and modelling of benthic processes
- participation in seagoing research cruises
- publication of results
- MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant natural or environmental science discipline (e.g. marine chemistry, biogeochemistry, microbiology)
- solid analytical background, preferably with knowledge in nutrient measurements and sediment analyses
- solid skills in statistics and a scientific programming language (e.g. R, Matlab, Python)
- preparedness, willingness, and proven physical ability for participation in seagoing research campaigns
- excellent skills in communication (very good English is a must, German is welcome)
Interested candidates should be highly motivated, organized, and willing to work in an interdisciplinary research team.
For further information, please contact:
- possibility for a PhD from University of Hamburg
- multinational work environment with over 1000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (including CV, a statement of interest and copies of master/diploma/university certificates) indicating job offer code no. 2020/KB 2.
Closing date for applications is May 5th, 2020.
This job offer was published via E-Recruiting:
Ph D/Postdoc Position Hpc/Bioinformatics, Helmut Schmidt University, Germany, 6 days ago
In collaboration with the university medical center Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE), a position (TVöD E-13, PhD or Postdoc) at the edge of high performance computing and bioinformatics is to be filled as ...
Ph D Positions, IMPRS-ESM, Germany, 4 days ago
Ph D Position Cluster Of Excellence Cliccs, CLICCS, Germany, 13 days ago
Ph D Position In Theoretical Physics, University of Hamburg, Germany, 1 day ago
As a University of Excellence, Universität Hamburg is one of the strongest research universities in Germany. As a flagship university in the greater Hamburg region, it nurtures innovative,cooperat...
Ph D Programme Imprs Esm (# Of Pos: 10), Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Germany, 7 days ago
The International Max Planck Research School on Earth System Modelling (IMPRS-ESM), located in Hamburg, Germany, offers fellowships to outstanding students interested in interdisciplinary climate ...