IEK-9 - Grundlagen der Elektrochemie
Area of research:
At the Institute of Energy and Climate Research - Fundamentals of Electrochemistry (IEK-9), we perform research on highly relevant topics related to the energy transition. For example, we investigate new battery concepts and how we can turn the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2) into the fuel of the future. The aim is to develop sustainable and cost-effective electrochemical systems with improved energy and power density, longer life-time, and maximal safety. Find out more about our mission and future-oriented projects here: go.fzj.de/IEK-9
In March 2018 the so-called Living Lab Energy Campus (LLEC) project at Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ) was initiated in order to investigate future energy systems on the basis of decentralized and renewable energy. Making extensive use of instrumentation and implementation of data acquisition equipment, control systems, and demonstrator units, LLEC allows real-time analyses, design, and optimization of renewable energy systems. Recently, the LLEC project has been extended with Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) research. As part of this new project, electric vehicles (EVs) and high-performance charging infrastructure with advanced charging and discharging concepts are integrated into the existing LLEC-infrastructure in order to support the operation of an intelligent, decentralized energy system as well as to investigate the influence of V2G-processes on the behavior of vehicle batteries. The goal of this project is to investigate Li-ion battery aging under the influence of V2G processes. More information about our LLEC-project can be found here: blogs.fz-juelich.de/llec/ In this project your main tasks are:
- Explore the various (dis)charge profiles for EVs with V2G-capabilities which are integrated in a smart decentralized energy system
- Identify the different battery aging mechanisms in relation to V2G processes
- Further develop existing aging models for use with V2G processes
- Developing and performing laboratory tests for model validation
- Optimizing and validation of the developed models based on (laboratory) measurements
- Propose new concepts for minimizing battery aging under V2G-processes
- Assist in determining optimal and/or fast-charge protocols that lead to minimum aging
- Writing scientific documents and presenting the results at meetings and conferences
- Excellent university degree (Master) in Electrochemistry, Chemistry, Physics, Electrical or Atomotive Engineering or related field
- Experience in battery aging and in laboratory experiments with batteries
- Affinity towards modelling and simulations, preferably in connection with electrochemical energy storage systems
- Familiarity and experience with programming languages, such as MATLAB
- Experience in mathematical optimization
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team
- High motivation, an interest in the research questions as well as an independent and result-oriented way of working
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English are mandatory, communication skills in spoken and written German are advantageous
We work on the very latest issues that impact our society and are offering you the chance to actively help in shaping the change! We offer ideal conditions for you to complete your doctoral degree:
- A highly motivated working group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe’s largest research establishments
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure
- Opportunity to participate in (international) conferences and project meetings
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisor
- A large research campus with green spaces, offering the best possible means for networking with colleagues and pursuing sports alongside work
Further development of your personal strengths, e.g. through an extensive range of training courses; a structured program of continuing education and networking opportunities specifically for doctoral researchers via JuDocS, the Jülich Center for Doctoral Researchers and Supervisors: www.fz-juelich.de/judocs
- Targeted services for international employees, e.g. through our International Advisory Service
The position is initially for a fixed term of 3 years. Pay in line with 75% of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund) and additionally 60 % of a monthly salary as special payment („Christmas bonus“). Further information on doctoral degrees at Forschungszentrum Jülich including our other locations is available at: www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_DocsForschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.
Ph D Position With A Research Focus On Digitalisation Of Energy Storage Systems. , NTNU, Norway, about 7 hours ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...
Ph D Scholarship In Autonomous Synthesis Robotics For Accelerated Discovery Of Sustainable Catalysts And Battery Materials, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
The Section for Autonomous Materials Discovery (AMD) at DTU Energy is looking for an outstanding candidate for a PhD position in the field of autonomous synthesis robotics for accelerated discover...
Ph D Scholarship In Designing New Solid State Batteries With Near Temperature Oxygen Conductors, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
Are you interested in nanotechnologies and innovative energy solutions? Are you wondering what the future batteries will be? At DTU Energý, we are continuously striving for innovative energy solut...
Ph D Position: Scale Effects In Highly Renewable Energy Systems , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term The Chair of Energ...
Ph D Position: Innovation Strategies And Policy Approaches To Support The Transition To A Clean Energy System , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 10 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 100%, Zurich, fixed-term Within the Europea...
Ph D Position In Smart Energy Solutions To Enable Flexibility In European Green Ports, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Delft University of Technology is hiring a doctoral candidate on the subject of “Smart energy solutions to enable flexibility in European green ports”. The PhD position is part of the MAGPIE proje...